Should we export to .st, .js and .deploy.js ?

Should we export to .st, .js and .deploy.js ?

Nicolas Petton

I was thinking that maybe we don't need to export the .st and .deploy.js files:

- the .st files are not needed as the source code is in the .js already
- the .deploy.js can be built with bin/amberc

What do you think?

Cheers,
Nico

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Should we export to .st, .js and .deploy.js ?

Herby Vojčík

Nicolas Petton wrote:
> I was thinking that maybe we don't need to export the .st and .deploy.js files:
>
> - the .st files are not needed as the source code is in the .js already
> - the .deploy.js can be built with bin/amberc
>
> What do you think?

For me it is one word: version control systems. That means, .st files
should definitely stay; even more - source code should be taken away
from .js files. IDE can load .st if it needs the source code.

As for .deploy.js, yes, it is not needed (and can be generated fairly
easy from .js itself, by just filtering out unnecessary fields).

> Cheers,
> Nico

Herby

Re: Should we export to .st, .js and .deploy.js ?

drush66
On Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:08:16 PM UTC+2, Herby wrote:

For me it is one word: version control systems. That means, .st files
should definitely stay; even more - source code should be taken away
from .js files. IDE can load .st if it needs the source code.

+1 feeding .js files in vcs is messy especially when there are conflicts. Make .st first class, and rest is generated.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

     Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis

On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:43:23 PM UTC+2, Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis wrote:
it would be awesome if there was a git repository and there was some buttons for the basic git commands. I dont think it is difficult to implement either.

indeed that would  be nice but not necessarily simple to implement, since one would have to find or implement git compatible library in javascript, there are some but last time I have checked they did not seem ready. (and there would always be a same origin issue to work around)

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Should we export to .st, .js and .deploy.js ?

xekoukou
I was thinking of reusing the git program by running bash script code from nodejs.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4443597/node-js-execute-system-command-synchronously

2012/10/18 Davorin Ruševljan <[hidden email]>
On Wednesday, October 17, 2012 8:43:23 PM UTC+2, Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis wrote:
it would be awesome if there was a git repository and there was some buttons for the basic git commands. I dont think it is difficult to implement either.

indeed that would  be nice but not necessarily simple to implement, since one would have to find or implement git compatible library in javascript, there are some but last time I have checked they did not seem ready. (and there would always be a same origin issue to work around)

Davorin Rusevljan

--

Sincerely yours,
     Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis

Re: Should we export to .st, .js and .deploy.js ?

Manfred Kröhnert
Hi,

On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 1:10 PM, Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was thinking of reusing the git program by running bash script code from
> nodejs.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4443597/node-js-execute-system-command-synchronously

In that case I would propose to try existing node-git implementations
before doing it oneself:

https://npmjs.org/package/nodegit

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5955891/has-anyone-implemented-a-git-clone-or-interface-library-using-nodejs

Best,
Manfred

On Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:11:31 PM UTC+2, Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis wrote:
I was thinking of reusing the git program by running bash script code from nodejs.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4443597/node-js-execute-system-command-synchronously

That could work for Ambers served from local node.js.

It could be even simpler for Ambers served from Pharo, using Amber Skeleton

http://gemstonesoup.wordpress.com/2012/04/22/amber-skeleton-lookout-kaliningrad/

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/