Showcasing Amber

horrido
What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

Re: Showcasing Amber

John McKeon
smalltalkhub.com

On Monday, February 29, 2016, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

jmck.seasidehosting.st

Re: Showcasing Amber

horrido
There doesn't seem to be many projects there, and I'm not sure any of them are "production." Also, how do you identify which ones are using Amber without downloading every .mcz?

At any rate, without a recommendation, I have no idea which ones showcase well.

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 09:42:18 UTC-5, John McKeon wrote:

On Monday, February 29, 2016, Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="1uH7-jFQGAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">horrido...@...> wrote:
What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

Re: Showcasing Amber

Tim Mackinnon-6
Sadly Sebastian’s airflowing.com has announced its shutting down - which is a shame (as I hate to see a startup venture not pull through - although it doesn’t seem like it was a technology problem). I think this would have been exactly the kind of example you were looking for. Maybe he might keep a demo system up as an example of what is possible?

Tim

On 1 Mar 2016, at 02:15, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

Re: Showcasing Amber

horrido
Yes, I just discovered that. Major pity.

So now I'm looking for another showcase project.

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 13:47:20 UTC-5, TimM wrote:
Sadly Sebastian’s <a href="http://airflowing.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fairflowing.com\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEm_IP68LSqe15DnoqjTH0ndkVvPw&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fairflowing.com\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEm_IP68LSqe15DnoqjTH0ndkVvPw&#39;;return true;">airflowing.com has announced its shutting down - which is a shame (as I hate to see a startup venture not pull through - although it doesn’t seem like it was a technology problem). I think this would have been exactly the kind of example you were looking for. Maybe he might keep a demo system up as an example of what is possible?

Tim

On 1 Mar 2016, at 02:15, Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="s1QhIZFdGAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">horrido...@...> wrote:

What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

Re: Showcasing Amber

Bernat Romagosa
These are not amazing projects, but here's my 5c:

http://reggaeperxics.com/old/ is a site I built a while ago for my band (we play songs for kids).

If you click on the first item on the right menu (Jocs), you can access three different games written in Amber, in a very first version of Ludus. Actually, I wrote Ludus in order to be able to code these games in Smalltalk for the web.

Ludus itself may be worth showing too. The latest I worked on it was a couple years ago when I was studying a videogame specialization. At http://bromagosa.github.io/Ludus/ you can try some games (warning: bugs), but the largest one is Ovni, a classic simple space shooter with simple AI and difficulty levels adjustable from the menu.

Anyway, it's nothing breathtaking, but it may help...

[...]

I'd forgotten about that site ... I must be a big kid as I quite like that song l'avi que estima al mar.

Nice job.

Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone
On 1 Mar 2016, at 19:30, Bernat Romagosa <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Tim,

I'm a big kid myself, I wouldn't be playing these songs otherwise :)

Totally off-topic, but check out our youtube channel for more stuff, we also play for "grown-ups".

Cheers,
Bernat.

[...]

NorbertHartl
There is

It is a system for renting electric cars and bikes. The web site is made with amber as well as the mobile applications. The web site and mobile apps even share the backend code. That is kind of a technology showcase which is actually in production and expanding. Although it is in german.

Maybe it is of any use.

Norbert

On Monday, February 29, 2016, Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="1uH7-jFQGAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href='javascript:';return true;" onclick="this.href='javascript:';return true;">horrido...@...> wrote:
What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

Re: Showcasing Amber

horrido
Excellent example! Thank you.

On Wednesday, 2 March 2016 06:10:02 UTC-5, Norbert Hartl wrote:
There is

It is a system for renting electric cars and bikes. The web site is made with amber as well as the mobile applications. The web site and mobile apps even share the backend code. That is kind of a technology showcase which is actually in production and expanding. Although it is in german.

Maybe it is of any use.

Norbert

Am 01.03.2016 um 17:05 schrieb Richard Eng <<a href="javascript:" target="_blank" gdf-obfuscated-mailto="ZPzsRTGTGAAJ" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;javascript:&#39;;return true;">horrido...@...>:

There doesn't seem to be many projects there, and I'm not sure any of them are "production." Also, how do you identify which ones are using Amber without downloading every .mcz?

At any rate, without a recommendation, I have no idea which ones showcase well.

On Tuesday, 1 March 2016 09:42:18 UTC-5, John McKeon wrote:

On Monday, February 29, 2016, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:
What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

Re: Showcasing Amber

horrido
The Super Surrogates of JavaScript

This helped me finish the above article.

On Wednesday, 2 March 2016 10:04:31 UTC-5, Richard Eng wrote:
[...]

Dave Mason-3
Airflowing doesn't mention Amber in their shutdown message.  Rather than generating the JS from Smalltalk they might have benefitted from PharoJS.

PharoJS is still not ready for prime-time, but we're getting there.  I'm currently building a node server and a web client in PharoJS and it's going rather well (this app is being built to understand how to interoperate well with JS libraries - it uses the ws (websocket) and sqlite3 node modules on the server side).

../Dave

../Dave

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:47 PM, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:
Sadly Sebastian’s airflowing.com has announced its shutting down - which is a shame (as I hate to see a startup venture not pull through - although it doesn’t seem like it was a technology problem). I think this would have been exactly the kind of example you were looking for. Maybe he might keep a demo system up as an example of what is possible?

Tim

On 1 Mar 2016, at 02:15, Richard Eng <[hidden email]> wrote:

What's a great example of a production Amber web application that showcases Amber's best qualities? I'm looking for something that will impress the public. I need a URL. Thanks.

Re: Showcasing Amber

Amber Smalltalk mailing list
Hi Dave,

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
Airflowing doesn't mention Amber in their shutdown message.  Rather than generating the JS from Smalltalk they might have benefitted from PharoJS.

as far as I know, Airflowing was created before PharoJS was even announced or maybe even thought of.

Best,
Manfred

Re: Showcasing Amber

Dave Mason-3
On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 10:55 AM, 'Manfred Kröhnert' via amber-lang <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 4:22 PM, Dave Mason <[hidden email]> wrote:
Airflowing doesn't mention Amber in their shutdown message.  Rather than generating the JS from Smalltalk they might have benefitted from PharoJS.

as far as I know, Airflowing was created before PharoJS was even announced or maybe even thought of.

Thanks, Manfred.  You're right.

I made the comment because, as PharoJS gets closer to usable for random projects, I'm trying to monitor possible use cases.

../Dave