Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
next week. As you may know, re:publica[2] is one of the most important
and visible media & digital culture conventions in Europe and is a good
scenario for the Pharo community.  You can find details about my
participation at [1]

[1]
https://18.re-publica.com/en/session/data-clinic-twitter-data-selfies-data-portraits
[2] https://18.re-publica.com/en

I will be making intensive refactoring on the Dataviz package to create
some usual and unusual data visualizations from data exported from
Twitter, so I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
list channels, is some questions arise.

Thanks in advance for the Pharo communities support. I wouldn't be able
to be there without it.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
> I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
> next week.

Wow! That's great. Any way we can follow along? e.g. live streaming, later
recording

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
> I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
> list channels, is some questions arise.

Fire away. I'm sure we'll support you any way we can. Give us a heads up
about the time window so we can try to be available…

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

abergel
Impressive Offray!
Go go go!

Alexandre
Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

On Apr 26, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Tudor Girba-2
Excellent!

Doru

--
www.tudorgirba.com
www.feenk.com

"There are no old things, there are only old ways of looking at them."

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Ben Coman

On 26 April 2018 at 21:57, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
next week. As you may know, re:publica[2] is one of the most important
and visible media & digital culture conventions in Europe and is a good
scenario for the Pharo community.  You can find details about my
participation at [1]

[1]
https://18.re-publica.com/en/session/data-clinic-twitter-data-selfies-data-portraits
[2] https://18.re-publica.com/en

I will be making intensive refactoring on the Dataviz package to create
some usual and unusual data visualizations from data exported from
Twitter, so I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
list channels, is some questions arise.

Thanks in advance for the Pharo communities support. I wouldn't be able
to be there without it.

Cheers,

Offray

> Printed material will be shared on how to recreate this experience, so your friends, family and fellow data activists can take and share their own Twitter data selfies and data portraits, to visualize part of their online presence and help to oversight public political discourse.

Do you need any review/testing of this material?

cheers -ben

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

philippeback

On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
next week. As you may know, re:publica[2] is one of the most important
and visible media & digital culture conventions in Europe and is a good
scenario for the Pharo community.  You can find details about my
participation at [1]

The "on how to use the Grafoscopio pocket infrastructure for data activism and digital citizenship " soundbite just blew my mind.

"Pocket Infrastructure" hits the nail on the head for sure.
I positively love that angle.
Compared to python, node, etc, there is much less fuss to get started and it allows to focus on the data narrative right away.

I regularly make folders in my Dropbox where I throw a pharo vm and a pharo image I work on, saved using https://github.com/Pharophile/HOImageSaver so that I can always go back in time easily (saved me more than once!). This very handy for working on machine A, and resuming work on machine B, or C etc.
And is indeed "Pocket Infrastructure".

[1]
https://18.re-publica.com/en/session/data-clinic-twitter-data-selfies-data-portraits
[2] https://18.re-publica.com/en

I will be making intensive refactoring on the Dataviz package to create
some usual and unusual data visualizations from data exported from
Twitter, so I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
list channels, is some questions arise.

Do you already use DiscordSt?

Thanks in advance for the Pharo communities support. I wouldn't be able
to be there without it.

What you achieve with Pharo makes me proud of supporting Pharo.
Kudos Offray, we need more people like you in the world.

_/\_

Phil

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Thanks folks for all your support words and offerings.

I am now still installing myself in Berlin, but as soon as I can, I will
answer in a more detailed fashion.

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/04/18 08:57, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
> next week. As you may know, re:publica[2] is one of the most important
> and visible media & digital culture conventions in Europe and is a good
> scenario for the Pharo community.  You can find details about my
> participation at [1]
>
> [1]
> https://18.re-publica.com/en/session/data-clinic-twitter-data-selfies-data-portraits
> [2] https://18.re-publica.com/en
>
> I will be making intensive refactoring on the Dataviz package to create
> some usual and unusual data visualizations from data exported from
> Twitter, so I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
> list channels, is some questions arise.
>
> Thanks in advance for the Pharo communities support. I wouldn't be able
> to be there without it.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi Sean,

This was a crazy week! Lot of stuff happening, but the important was
getting the people network stronger by meeting again, talking, drinking,
dancing, besides all talks, workshops and meetups in a context like
re:publica[1] and the GIG[2]. So, as I told to the list, I was unable to
answer fast or even visit Discord to ask anything.

[1] http://re-publica.com/
[2] https://www.globalinnovationgathering.org/

But yes, we have some video recordings at the re:publica site,
(unfortunately not the workshops) and we share some pictures in Twitter
[3] and I have made some draft documentation that was complementary
[4][5] to the workshop, but will be improve the upcoming week (like the
software).

[3] https://twitter.com/weareGIG
[4]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/dataweek/doc/tip/Artefactos/Republica2018/index.html
[5] https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/rp18DataSelfies

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/04/18 09:36, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
>> next week.
> Wow! That's great. Any way we can follow along? e.g. live streaming, later
> recording
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
>> list channels, is some questions arise.
> Fire away. I'm sure we'll support you any way we can. Give us a heads up
> about the time window so we can try to be available…
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Ben,

On 27/04/18 02:39, Ben Coman wrote:

On 26 April 2018 at 21:57, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Printed material will be shared on how to recreate this experience, so your friends, family and fellow data activists can take and share their own Twitter data selfies and data portraits, to visualize part of their online presence and help to oversight public political discourse.

Do you need any review/testing of this material?

cheers -ben

Yes Ben. I will. Now I released just a short draft used to kickstart the workshop[1] (as I told the participants there), but I will be improving it the upcoming week and I will let you know when is ready for review.

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/dataweek/doc/tip/Artefactos/Republica2018/index.html

Thanks for your continuous proof-reading support with all my writings (as a non-native speaker still struggling with English, that's pretty valuable) and for your general work supporting this community.

Cheers,

Offray

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I get an error while loading Grafoscopio on Windows.

Linked to gtoolkit-examples and libgit.

Phil

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/04/18 09:36, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
>> next week.
> Wow! That's great. Any way we can follow along? e.g. live streaming, later
> recording
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
>> list channels, is some questions arise.
> Fire away. I'm sure we'll support you any way we can. Give us a heads up
> about the time window so we can try to be available…
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Phil,

On 27/04/18 03:02, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

I think that pocket infrastructures are a powerful concept for inclusion and participation, specially in the times of fancy exclusionary "Big Data" and "Artificial Intelligence" buzzwords and discourses that don't take into account who becomes data of who, who will have the access, storage and processing capability in those forecast futures. In contrast Pocket Infrastructures are inclusive by default, being self-contained, simple and working well in on/off line contexts.

Pharo, in the live coding environment front and Fossil, in the DVCS front, work pretty well for that working definition of Pocket Infrastructures.  Is impressive that just under 50 Mb anyone can have a Jupyter+GitHub alike environment for data storytelling, visualization and reproducible research that just run in their pockets and low end machines (and of course, big server and anything in between). We tried before with IPython notebook and other more complex stuff and we were dealing with external complexities instead of going right into story telling + coding + data viz. Of course, Jupyter and GitHub are a lot more popular that Grafoscopio + Fossil, but they're also traveling the most traverse path, while I think that a lot of valuable innovation comes, by definition, from the margins and that can give Pharo ecosystem an advantage point over other more popular approaches, as practice have demonstrated time and again.

[1]
https://18.re-publica.com/en/session/data-clinic-twitter-data-selfies-data-portraits
[2] https://18.re-publica.com/en

I will be making intensive refactoring on the Dataviz package to create
some usual and unusual data visualizations from data exported from
Twitter, so I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
list channels, is some questions arise.

Do you already use DiscordSt?

No. I'm kind of bad at chat real-time messaging communication (It occupies mostly of my attention and I'm less focused on other stuff). I found myself being more focused while muting the real-time communication channels and going to them for specific times/activities and for short periods. What is DiscordSt?

Thanks in advance for the Pharo communities support. I wouldn't be able
to be there without it.

What you achieve with Pharo makes me proud of supporting Pharo.
Kudos Offray, we need more people like you in the world.

_/\_

Phil

Thanks for such kind words. I not only wouldn't be able to do it without the community support, but particularly without the interest that people like you, Phil, show on these themes and approaches. So is really worthy to be in a community where different people can share interests, care about each other and start small by just helping each other with proofreading, encouraging words, scholarships, coffee and beers, and even some times, code reviews and software improvements. Thanks a lot for (m)any of those.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

Hi Phil,

Seems that some dependency related with GT-Examples and LibGit changed recently. On Mac/Linux installation was well until last week.

I have had problems with LibGit in the past (which BTW, makes any install process really unpleasant), but I don't know if they're related with your issue. At that time the solution was to disable LibGit "developer profile" integration (which asked for a LibGit setup). Maybe you can try installing it before installing Grafoscopio, by following the instructions at [1], or if that doesn't work, maybe the folks at GT can help us with that.

[1] https://github.com/feenkcom/gtoolkit

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,

Offray

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:56 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Phil,

Seems that some dependency related with GT-Examples and LibGit changed recently. On Mac/Linux installation was well until last week.

I have had problems with LibGit in the past (which BTW, makes any install process really unpleasant), but I don't know if they're related with your issue. At that time the solution was to disable LibGit "developer profile" integration (which asked for a LibGit setup). Maybe you can try installing it before installing Grafoscopio, by following the instructions at [1], or if that doesn't work, maybe the folks at GT can help us with that.

[1] https://github.com/feenkcom/gtoolkit

Let me know how it goes.

I actually restarted the loading process and then, magic, no more error.

Seems like a known problem that should be tackled with using Tonel format etc. https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/94

But then, another issue, related to Zinc.

Weird. Clues?

Phil

Cheers,

Offray

On 06/05/18 06:43, [hidden email] wrote:

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sean,

This was a crazy week! Lot of stuff happening, but the important was
getting the people network stronger by meeting again, talking, drinking,
dancing, besides all talks, workshops and meetups in a context like
re:publica[1] and the GIG[2]. So, as I told to the list, I was unable to
answer fast or even visit Discord to ask anything.

[1] http://re-publica.com/
[2] https://www.globalinnovationgathering.org/

But yes, we have some video recordings at the re:publica site,
(unfortunately not the workshops) and we share some pictures in Twitter
[3] and I have made some draft documentation that was complementary
[4][5] to the workshop, but will be improve the upcoming week (like the
software).

[3] https://twitter.com/weareGIG
[4]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/dataweek/doc/tip/Artefactos/Republica2018/index.html
[5] https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/rp18DataSelfies

I get an error while loading Grafoscopio on Windows.

Linked to gtoolkit-examples and libgit.

Phil

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/04/18 09:36, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
>> next week.
> Wow! That's great. Any way we can follow along? e.g. live streaming, later
> recording
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
>> list channels, is some questions arise.
> Fire away. I'm sure we'll support you any way we can. Give us a heads up
> about the time window so we can try to be available…
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

philippeback
Hi Offray,

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:47 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

As I am busy in that space with Hadoop / TensorFlow / ..., yes there is a tendency to have kind of "high priests of data" showing up.
This is isolating the common folk instead of empowering them. I am fighting that tendency in the projects because the technology can be approachable.

[...]

As a Jupyter user, yes, I can relate. Jupyter is easy once you have it installed (like installing Anaconda distribution and typing "jupyter notebook" on the command line. But that is already a high bar for non technical people.

I am very interested in Grafoscopio to work out proof of concepts in Pharo, so that I can have a nice narrative structure.
Coupled with gtExample and specific inspector presentations, this is a terrific thing.

My current project involved a Glorp component and I'd like to showcase transactions within a Grafoscopio notebook.

I'll tell you how it goes :-)

Fossil is indeed a great vehicle for code and assets. Fossil and SQLite, great stuff.

Phil

Offray

On 06/05/18 07:16, [hidden email] wrote:

I actually restarted the loading process and then, magic, no more error.

Seems like a known problem that should be tackled with using Tonel format etc. https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/94

But then, another issue, related to Zinc.

Weird. Clues?

We got that error when we try to open a notebook without updating previously Grafoscopio. Please use the update menus in the Grafoscopio docking bar for th Grafoscopio and Dataviz packages. That should solve the issue.

I would really have a better way of installing Grafoscopio. If you have any suggestions on the Gopher, Metacello, installing front, or even better, if you need any permissions on the source code repository [1], just let me know.

[1] http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Offray/Grafoscopio

Cheers,

Offray

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 2:34 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 06/05/18 07:16, [hidden email] wrote:

I actually restarted the loading process and then, magic, no more error.

Seems like a known problem that should be tackled with using Tonel format etc. https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg/issues/94

But then, another issue, related to Zinc.

Weird. Clues?

We got that error when we try to open a notebook without updating previously Grafoscopio. Please use the update menus in the Grafoscopio docking bar for th Grafoscopio and Dataviz packages. That should solve the issue.

I would really have a better way of installing Grafoscopio. If you have any suggestions on the Gopher, Metacello, installing front, or even better, if you need any permissions on the source code repository [1], just let me know.

[1] http://smalltalkhub.com/#!/~Offray/Grafoscopio

I have got access already. I can look at the configuration(s).

Best,
Phil

Cheers,

Offray

[...]

Offray,

Now that I have loaded/updated the system, I am going through the steps.

You write "To run the code nodes, click on the green "Play" symbol triangle at the left of each node."
There is no such triangle. I guess you mean the green triangle at the top right of the note.
Right?

Best,
Phil

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/04/18 09:36, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
>> next week.
> Wow! That's great. Any way we can follow along? e.g. live streaming, later
> recording
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
>> list channels, is some questions arise.
> Fire away. I'm sure we'll support you any way we can. Give us a heads up
> about the time window so we can try to be available…
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

philippeback
Offray,

On Sun, May 6, 2018 at 1:14 PM, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Sean,

This was a crazy week! Lot of stuff happening, but the important was
getting the people network stronger by meeting again, talking, drinking,
dancing, besides all talks, workshops and meetups in a context like
re:publica[1] and the GIG[2]. So, as I told to the list, I was unable to
answer fast or even visit Discord to ask anything.

[1] http://re-publica.com/
[2] https://www.globalinnovationgathering.org/

But yes, we have some video recordings at the re:publica site,
(unfortunately not the workshops) and we share some pictures in Twitter
[3] and I have made some draft documentation that was complementary
[4][5] to the workshop, but will be improve the upcoming week (like the
software).

[3] https://twitter.com/weareGIG
[4]
http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/dataweek/doc/tip/Artefactos/Republica2018/index.html
[5] https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/rp18DataSelfies

Not sure if the code that is loaded is correct for the data selfies because:

getAvatar being missing.

Phil

Cheers,

Offray

On 26/04/18 09:36, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I will be showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018,
>> next week.
> Wow! That's great. Any way we can follow along? e.g. live streaming, later
> recording
>

> Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2 wrote
>> I may be more active those days in the Discord and mailing
>> list channels, is some questions arise.
> Fire away. I'm sure we'll support you any way we can. Give us a heads up
> about the time window so we can try to be available…
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Showcasing Pharo, Roassal and Grafoscopio at re:publica 2018

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2

On 06/05/18 08:03, [hidden email] wrote:
Offray,

Not sure if the code that is loaded is correct for the data selfies because:

getAvatar being missing.

Phil

You need to update the Dataviz package (Grafoscopio docking bar has an option for it)  before running the code in the Data Selfies notebook. One of the things we do regularly in the workshops is to extend the functionality of Grafoscopio/Dataviz packages. That should be stated more clearly in the documentation. I will put that there.

Thanks,

Offray

On 06/05/18 07:30, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Well, now we are two of us. In general the Smalltalk tradition of fighting against incidental complexity and the needs of broader communities of being empowered by code+data will bring more people interested that is already active on those concerns.

[...]

As a former regular user of IPython Notebook (before it morphed to Jupyter), my issues go beyond installation and are more related with moldability and the possibility to adapt the tool taking into account its users and contexts, hopefully by such users in such context. In the end, each Jupyter notebooks provides a RELP "linear metaphor" for documents and in that case you have two options, which I don't think are the best for exploratory computing, start to split your document into several notebooks (losing panoramic view) or ending with long scrolls, losing detail[1][2]. The best, for such exploratory documents, would be to combine the outliner metaphor of Leo/OrgMode with the interactivity of IPython[3], but in that endeavor you end fighting with a lot of incidental complexity that Pharo doesn't have[4], because of the way liveness, simplicity and adaptability are embedded into the tool and culture. In that way, Grafoscopio notebooks can contain simple notes or full books [4a][4b]

[1] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/piamed/artifact/d8762d656bcbf480
[2] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/piamed/doc/tip/linea-base-aras-iecas.html
[3] http://mutabit.com/offray/static/blog/output/posts/on-deepness-and-complexity-of-ipython-documents.html
[4] http://mutabit.com/offray/static/blog/output/posts/grafoscopio-idea-and-initial-progress.html
[4a] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/dir?ci=28ec1bf0c1ab3c71&name=Docs/En/Books/Manual
[4b] http://mutabit.com/repos.fossil/mapeda/

Even with JupyterLab and the phospore.js[5] that improves on extensibility, you still need to deal with a lot of friction in the development experience.  I would say that Grafoscopio and JupyterLab are following inverse paths (and in that way one is the future of the other): Grafoscopio started from the Pharo Interactive Development Environment and is trying to bring interactive notebooks documentation capabilities to such environment, while Jupyter started with interactive notebooks and is trying to become a full IDE [7][7a]. Grafoscopio will learn a lot by increasing languages support, and JupyterLab is dealing with development needs and customized workflows.

[5] https://github.com/jupyterlab/jupyterlab
[6] https://medium.com/@brianray_7981/jupyterlab-first-impressions-e6d70d8a175d
[7] https://youtu.be/Ejh0ftSjk6g?t=253
[7a] https://youtu.be/Ejh0ftSjk6g?t=329

I am very interested in Grafoscopio to work out proof of concepts in Pharo, so that I can have a nice narrative structure.
Coupled with gtExample and specific inspector presentations, this is a terrific thing.

I usually start from a notebook. There I put notes, problem descriptions, future working playgrounds where I launch the debugger. Is a really good experience and with your your proposed bug fix for the annoying UI bug is even getting better. It was the kind of experience I would like to have with Jupyter+Leo+Python, but now empowered by Pharo :-). Let me know how it works for you.

My current project involved a Glorp component and I'd like to showcase transactions within a Grafoscopio notebook.

I'll tell you how it goes :-)

I'm really curious. Keep us informed. :-).

Fossil is indeed a great vehicle for code and assets. Fossil and SQLite, great stuff.

Phil

Yes, good combination, even for the released open data of the biggest leak in journalism history, the Panama Papers, SQLite+Fossil+Pharo[8] worked pretty well. I think that there is a lot of unseen potential in such simple but powerful systems in all these places where people is just using popular "big data" stuff and we need to think in the "last mile" infrastructure to connect people with data. There the Pocket Infrastructures have a lot to offer and we can pioneer the path.

[8] http://mutabit.com/offray/blog/en/entry/panama-papers-1

Cheers,

Offray