Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Showing Keyboard events as Pharo goes weird when using an RD client for OSX

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - I’m wondering if anyone has any experience using Pharo in a Remote Desktop environment? 

Ive been experimenting with MacInCloud.com and running Pharo there - however I’ve noticed that while it appears to run (and it reasonably performant) after a few seconds/minutes (I can’t quite work out what causes it) certain keeps stop working - most importantly the Enter key (but also Cmd-P etc).

It looks like its dishing out some kind of tab key (its invisible in the playground - the cursor just jumps forward a few characters) but I’m not sure, and I wondered if I could print out key codes in Pharo to maybe spot what it is. But keyboard handling is not something I’ve dug into - and I’m looking for a few pointers (or maybe someone has seen this problem before and might be able to suggest a solution).

As I said, It starts out ok but then suddenly swaps to this behaviour (which makes coding then impractical). Restating the RD client doesn’t make a difference (and I’ve tried 2 different ones now). Other remote mac apps like Notes don’t seem to be affected and I have to exit the image and come back in to correct it. (I havne’t tried saving in between to see if it then preserves this behaviour).

Ulimately I was hoping to have an easy portable Pharo environment to sneakily take on holiday via an iPad.

The approach is to try and compile Pharo for iOS (I did it a long time ago, but it was a pain - whereas a remote server seemed like a neat solution).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Showing Keyboard events as Pharo goes weird when using an RD client for OSX

Tim Mackinnon
Actually - I installed VNC on Linux server and it’s much faster and doesn’t have this issue .

I think for keyboard events I would have had to create a morph and then override some handle key events to print them out ? As it stands, I’ll forge on with other stuff (unless anyone happens to know)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

On 18 May 2018, at 12:00, Tim Mackinnon <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi - I’m wondering if anyone has any experience using Pharo in a Remote Desktop environment? 

Ive been experimenting with MacInCloud.com and running Pharo there - however I’ve noticed that while it appears to run (and it reasonably performant) after a few seconds/minutes (I can’t quite work out what causes it) certain keeps stop working - most importantly the Enter key (but also Cmd-P etc).

It looks like its dishing out some kind of tab key (its invisible in the playground - the cursor just jumps forward a few characters) but I’m not sure, and I wondered if I could print out key codes in Pharo to maybe spot what it is. But keyboard handling is not something I’ve dug into - and I’m looking for a few pointers (or maybe someone has seen this problem before and might be able to suggest a solution).

As I said, It starts out ok but then suddenly swaps to this behaviour (which makes coding then impractical). Restating the RD client doesn’t make a difference (and I’ve tried 2 different ones now). Other remote mac apps like Notes don’t seem to be affected and I have to exit the image and come back in to correct it. (I havne’t tried saving in between to see if it then preserves this behaviour).

Ulimately I was hoping to have an easy portable Pharo environment to sneakily take on holiday via an iPad.

The approach is to try and compile Pharo for iOS (I did it a long time ago, but it was a pain - whereas a remote server seemed like a neat solution).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone