Showing Keyboard events as Pharo goes weird when using an RD client for OSX

Showing Keyboard events as Pharo goes weird when using an RD client for OSX

Tim Mackinnon
Hi - I’m wondering if anyone has any experience using Pharo in a Remote Desktop environment?

Ive been experimenting with MacInCloud.com and running Pharo there - however I’ve noticed that while it appears to run (and it reasonably performant) after a few seconds/minutes (I can’t quite work out what causes it) certain keeps stop working - most importantly the Enter key (but also Cmd-P etc).

It looks like its dishing out some kind of tab key (its invisible in the playground - the cursor just jumps forward a few characters) but I’m not sure, and I wondered if I could print out key codes in Pharo to maybe spot what it is. But keyboard handling is not something I’ve dug into - and I’m looking for a few pointers (or maybe someone has seen this problem before and might be able to suggest a solution).

As I said, It starts out ok but then suddenly swaps to this behaviour (which makes coding then impractical). Restating the RD client doesn’t make a difference (and I’ve tried 2 different ones now). Other remote mac apps like Notes don’t seem to be affected and I have to exit the image and come back in to correct it. (I havne’t tried saving in between to see if it then preserves this behaviour).

Ulimately I was hoping to have an easy portable Pharo environment to sneakily take on holiday via an iPad.

The approach is to try and compile Pharo for iOS (I did it a long time ago, but it was a pain - whereas a remote server seemed like a neat solution).

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Showing Keyboard events as Pharo goes weird when using an RD client for OSX

Tim Mackinnon
Actually - I installed VNC on Linux server and it’s much faster and doesn’t have this issue .

I think for keyboard events I would have had to create a morph and then override some handle key events to print them out ? As it stands, I’ll forge on with other stuff (unless anyone happens to know)

Tim

Sent from my iPhone