Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

gerard alis

I´m developing a wizard for prepare a deploy in Pharo. I´m using predefined routines of system like

Scriptloader>>cleanUpForproduction
SmalltalkImage>>cleanUp: false
SmalltalkImage>>disableProgrammerFacilities

or manual delete from system packages too. I can delete many MB from image with that mechanism, but the problem is when that routines is much much more slow on Windows than MACOSX. Is possible do something in Windows for enhance? the difference is huge...

Regards.

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

Stéphane Ducasse

On Nov 3, 2010, at 12:12 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> I´m developing a wizard for prepare a deploy in Pharo. I´m using predefined
> routines of system like
>
> Scriptloader>>cleanUpForproduction
> SmalltalkImage>>cleanUp: false
> SmalltalkImage>>disableProgrammerFacilities
>
> or manual delete from system packages too. I can delete many MB from image
> with that mechanism,

good I imagine that we will be able to remove more and more packages.

> but the problem is when that routines is much much more
> slow on Windows than MACOSX. Is possible do something in Windows for
> enhance? the difference is huge...

I do not see why.
Do you have an antivirus?

> Regards.

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

gerard alis
I have installed Microsoft Security Essentials on Windows 7. I disabled the antivirus but don´t seems difference... I´m using Cog. I don´t know if that is related.

The wizard will allow delete any package of system. But I don´t know implement a image shrink ala VisualWorks. Like a small show, the wizard step than allow configure the packages for delete is that->

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

do you that there is merlin a package to build wizards.
This is cool we use it a lot here.

Stef

gerard alis
I did create my own wizard mechanism. The main reason for that is for best integration with UIBuilder, classes and widgets from CLFramework. I don´t want depends of third parts if I can avoid :)

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

> I did create my own wizard mechanism. The main reason for that is for best
> integration with UIBuilder, classes and widgets from CLFramework. I don´t
> want depends of third parts if I can avoid :)

But you would have look at Merlin and mentioned that may be we could have added a factory
and you would have got a good wizard builder and it would have improved.

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

Mariano Martinez Peck
I think the IP v6 has also some problems in Windows, but I am not sure. Check the Pharo FAQ.

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 12:02 PM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I did create my own wizard mechanism. The main reason for that is for best
> integration with UIBuilder, classes and widgets from CLFramework. I don´t
> want depends of third parts if I can avoid :)

But you would have look at Merlin and mentioned that may be we could have added a factory
and you would have got a good wizard builder and it would have improved.

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

gerard alis
I added the Shrink image tool on CLFramework, like a option in World menu.

A example of use is showed in Youtube - > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonZdxOOJ10

Regards

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

cool the video is nice.

Stef
On Nov 28, 2010, at 2:24 PM, nullPointer wrote:

> I added the Shrink image tool on CLFramework, like a option in World menu.
>
> A example of use is showed in Youtube - >
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonZdxOOJ10
>
> Regards

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Great job!
On 28 nov. 2010, at 14:24, nullPointer wrote:

> I added the Shrink image tool on CLFramework, like a option in World menu.
>
> A example of use is showed in Youtube - >
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonZdxOOJ10
>
> Regards

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

Tudor Girba
Very nice indeed.

Doru

On 28 Nov 2010, at 18:23, Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> Great job!
> On 28 nov. 2010, at 14:24, nullPointer wrote:
>

>> I added the Shrink image tool on CLFramework, like a option in World menu.
>>
>> A example of use is showed in Youtube - >
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonZdxOOJ10
>>
>> Regards
>> --

www.tudorgirba.com

"Don't give to get. Just give."

Re: Shrinking image much more slow in Windows than MACOSX

Olivier Auverlot
Le 28/11/2010 14:24, nullPointer a écrit :
> I added the Shrink image tool on CLFramework, like a option in World menu.
>
> A example of use is showed in Youtube ->
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tonZdxOOJ10
>
> Regards
very useful. It would be nice if this tool is included in the standard
distribution of Pharo.