Shuting down squeak in linux

Sebastian Sastre-2
Hi there,

    anyone has succesfully shutdown saving a squeak image (quitting saving image) without using the UI?

    I need a clean shutdown script for the services that provides some squeak images in a linux server.

    Using OSProcesses I can catch some of the OS signals in the image but the OS seems to destroy the process before the squeak can save the image. Any clue/workarroud for this?

    thanks,

Sebastian Sastre

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi Sebastian,

Have a look at :

It allows running Squeak as a service that you can shutdown.

Noury
Le 6 mars 07 à 17:45, Sebastian Sastre a écrit :

Hi there,

    anyone has succesfully shutdown saving a squeak image (quitting saving image) without using the UI?

    I need a clean shutdown script for the services that provides some squeak images in a linux server.

    Using OSProcesses I can catch some of the OS signals in the image but the OS seems to destroy the process before the squeak can save the image. Any clue/workarroud for this?

    thanks,

Sebastian Sastre

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
ARMINES - Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. I.A.

European Smalltalk Users Group Board

RE: Shuting down squeak in linux

Sebastian Sastre-2
Thanks Noury but the thing is that I'm actually able to shutdown a running squeak. The thing I cannot do is to shutdown it saving it's image. Any clue about that?

    best regards,

Sebastian Sastre

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

Bert Freudenberg
You need to execute

        SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true

- Bert -

On Mar 7, 2007, at 20:12 , Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> Thanks Noury but the thing is that I'm actually able to shutdown a
> running squeak. The thing I cannot do is to shutdown it saving it's
> image. Any clue about that?
>
>     best regards,
>
> Sebastian Sastre

Adrian Lienhard
I think, in the current state of affairs its best to use HTTP to talk
to Squeak ;).
At least this is what we do.

Adrian

On Mar 7, 2007, at 20:16 , Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> You need to execute
>
> SmalltalkImage current snapshot: true andQuit: true
>
> - Bert -
>
> On Mar 7, 2007, at 20:12 , Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
>> Thanks Noury but the thing is that I'm actually able to shutdown a
>> running squeak. The thing I cannot do is to shutdown it saving
>> it's image. Any clue about that?
>>
>>     best regards,
>>
>> Sebastian Sastre

Brian Rice
Or the REPLServer and telnet via raw socket. This is easier from a
systems administration point of view, since it requires less to
automate/reproduce.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

RE: Shuting down squeak in linux

Sebastian Sastre-2

Thanks Bert, I allready know what to execute to exit Squeak saving from
"inside" squeak. The thing is to do it from "outside". The way I've tried
was to catch a kill -15 signal (sent by the linux ../init/blah script when
you ask it to stop) with OSProcess and actually it can be catched. There one
should put the code you suggest. The problem is that something is preventing
the image to be saved. Squeak quits but there is no image save, even when
you ask for it. That's the problem I have.

Sebastian

This is interesting. Let me see if I understood.. are you suggesting I make
a script that login in the image and executes the code that quits saving?
I'm seeing REPLServer in it's wiki now.. It's interesting I didn't know this
tool. Looks pretty useful and simple.

Thanks for the clue !

Sebastian

Yes, I think that would be the full simple solution to your setup.
Something like "telnet localhost <portnumber>" and then some
automation to send the correct command and terminate.

The "expect" unix command-line utility can help with the command
automation... a little googling seems to confirm this:
  http://www.osix.net/modules/article/?id=35

There may be a more elegant way than using these two tools, but
that's what occurs to me off-hand. If it works, it'd be good to share
it, maybe posted on the Swiki.

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

Brian Rice
Hm, this other tutorial explains "autoexpect" as well, which is new
to me:
  http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3065

--
-Brian
http://briantrice.com

PGP.sig (193 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

johnmci
In past experiences in working with mission critical smalltalk server
it was always  handy
to have a remote admin interface that you could send smalltalk script
to and have it return results.

Then you could answer the question, why is the server hosed?

Well let me see, {execute handy sanity check smalltalk sequence here}
or {excute handy fix server on fly smalltalk sequence here}

On Mar 7, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> This is interesting. Let me see if I understood.. are you
> suggesting I make
> a script that login in the image and executes the code that quits
> saving?
> I'm seeing REPLServer in it's wiki now.. It's interesting I didn't
> know this
> tool. Looks pretty useful and simple.
>
> Thanks for the clue !
>
> Sebastian

===
John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>
===

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

Bert Freudenberg
Maybe saving the image in the OSProcess signal handler does not work
because that handler runs in its own Squeak process. Dave Lewis might
know a solution.

- Bert -

On Mar 7, 2007, at 23:26 , Brian Rice wrote:

> Yes, I think that would be the full simple solution to your setup.
> Something like "telnet localhost <portnumber>" and then some
> automation to send the correct command and terminate.
>
> The "expect" unix command-line utility can help with the command
> automation... a little googling seems to confirm this:
>  http://www.osix.net/modules/article/?id=35
>
> There may be a more elegant way than using these two tools, but
> that's what occurs to me off-hand. If it works, it'd be good to
> share it, maybe posted on the Swiki.
>
> On Mar 7, 2007, at 1:23 PM, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
>> This is interesting. Let me see if I understood.. are you
>> suggesting I make
>> a script that login in the image and executes the code that quits
>> saving?
>> I'm seeing REPLServer in it's wiki now.. It's interesting I didn't
>> know this
>> tool. Looks pretty useful and simple.
>>
>> Thanks for the clue !
>>
>> Sebastian

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Mar 07, 2007 at 11:32:53PM +0100, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> Maybe saving the image in the OSProcess signal handler does not work
> because that handler runs in its own Squeak process. Dave Lewis might
> know a solution.
>
> - Bert -

This seems to work:

  [OSProcess accessor forwardSigTerm wait.
  OSProcess accessor restoreSigTerm.
  OSProcess snapshot: true andQuit: true] fork

Then from a unix command line, "kill -15 <squeakpid>".

Dave

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

Lex Spoon-3
"Sebastian Sastre" <[hidden email]> writes:
> Hi there,
>
>     anyone has succesfully shutdown saving a squeak image (quitting saving
> image) without using the UI?

In addition to the other options mentioned, has anyone tried DBus ?
DBus seems great for this, so long as you don't mind being tied to
Linuxy infrastructure.

Google turned up this link:

http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/dbus/2005-May/002673.html

Lex

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

Michael van der Gulik
Brian Rice wrote:
> Or the REPLServer and telnet via raw socket. This is easier from a
> systems administration point of view, since it requires less to
> automate/reproduce.

I've made an improved version of REPLServer at:

http://www.squeaksource.com/SecureSqueak

Latest version is REPL-mvdg.13.mcz. I should really get the SqueakMap
link sorted out; last time I tried, the web interface to SqueakMap came
back with some funny error.

Please email me with any bugs and I'll see to fixing them.

Michael.

Re: Shuting down squeak in linux

stephane ducasse
mickael

are you planning to write something on secure squeak that we could read?

STef