Sign of Impending Iceberg Doom on Pharo 6.1

Sign of Impending Iceberg Doom on Pharo 6.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Sometimes while working in Iceberg on 6.1, I see a progress bar(s) like the
following:
<http://forum.world.st/file/t128965/Screenshot_2018-08-24_12.jpeg>

This seems to usually signal that a crash is not far away. It's doubly
concerning because there is no clear way to stop the troubled process
(interrupts often bring up a debugger on something else) and because, since
one is now unable to save any code, it's unclear how to start over easily in
a new image. In an extreme scenario, I recently panicked during such an
experience and accidentally clicked "Save" instead of "Save As…" resulting
in an image that took hours worth of code (I know maybe not a great
practice) with it to the grave.

Any idea why this happens or what we might be able to do anything about it?

p.s. I was so concerned that I immediately resolved to move to Pharo 7, but
that turned out not to be an option do to the recently reported bug with
extension methods (that don't exactly match the package name)

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: Sign of Impending Iceberg Doom on Pharo 6.1

gcotelli
I ve'seen this problem also but never been able to find a reproducible case. I've recall to see it even before Iceberg, so to me it looks like some Monticello issue. I always had the impression that Monticello it's trying to regenerate all the code definitions instead of the changes. Running exactly the same code snippet again usually worked for me.

Anyways if someone had a reproducible case just let us know.

On Fri, Aug 24, 2018 at 2:03 PM Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

EstebanLM
Hi,

Please take into account that the iceberg version present on Pharo 6.1 is obsolete and most of the problems seen there should be solved in the version present on Pharo 7.

You would ask why being an obsolete version we do not backport the good version for Pharo 6.1 and the answer is: Iceberg 1+ is a huge change and it may broke current P6.1 behaviour so we (I) decided not to do it.

Instead, people using intensively iceberg are recommended to install themselves the correct version following the instructions here: https://github.com/pharo-vcs/iceberg#update-iceberg

Cheers,
Esteban

On 24 Aug 2018, at 19:45, Gabriel Cotelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

CyrilFerlicot
Le 24/08/2018 à 19:03, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> Sometimes while working in Iceberg on 6.1, I see a progress bar(s) like the
> following:
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t128965/Screenshot_2018-08-24_12.jpeg>
>
> This seems to usually signal that a crash is not far away. It's doubly
> concerning because there is no clear way to stop the troubled process
> (interrupts often bring up a debugger on something else) and because, since
> one is now unable to save any code, it's unclear how to start over easily in
> a new image. In an extreme scenario, I recently panicked during such an
> experience and accidentally clicked "Save" instead of "Save As…" resulting
> in an image that took hours worth of code (I know maybe not a great
> practice) with it to the grave.
>
> Any idea why this happens or what we might be able to do anything about it?
>
> p.s. I was so concerned that I immediately resolved to move to Pharo 7, but
> that turned out not to be an option do to the recently reported bug with
> extension methods (that don't exactly match the package name)

Hi,

IIRC the problem only happens when the commit windows is maximize.
Something happen, maybe the progress bar updating launch a redraw of the
morph, and if the iceberg window is under the progress bar it also try
to redraw it but for that it snapshots methods etc...

When I did not maximized my windows and kept them in the center it was fine.

--
Cyril Ferlicot
https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Sign of Impending Iceberg Doom on Pharo 6.1

EstebanLM

> On 24 Aug 2018, at 20:41, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Le 24/08/2018 à 19:03, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :
>> Sometimes while working in Iceberg on 6.1, I see a progress bar(s) like the
>> following:
>> <http://forum.world.st/file/t128965/Screenshot_2018-08-24_12.jpeg>
>>
>> This seems to usually signal that a crash is not far away. It's doubly
>> concerning because there is no clear way to stop the troubled process
>> (interrupts often bring up a debugger on something else) and because, since
>> one is now unable to save any code, it's unclear how to start over easily in
>> a new image. In an extreme scenario, I recently panicked during such an
>> experience and accidentally clicked "Save" instead of "Save As…" resulting
>> in an image that took hours worth of code (I know maybe not a great
>> practice) with it to the grave.
>>
>> Any idea why this happens or what we might be able to do anything about it?
>>
>> p.s. I was so concerned that I immediately resolved to move to Pharo 7, but
>> that turned out not to be an option do to the recently reported bug with
>> extension methods (that don't exactly match the package name)
>>

> Hi,
>
> IIRC the problem only happens when the commit windows is maximize.
> Something happen, maybe the progress bar updating launch a redraw of the
> morph, and if the iceberg window is under the progress bar it also try
> to redraw it but for that it snapshots methods etc...
>
> When I did not maximized my windows and kept them in the center it was fine.

Yes, afaik that problem was related with redrawing of some glamour lists and an infinite loop triggered by the old iceberg UI.

Esteban

>> -----
>> Cheers,
>> Sean
>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html
>>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
> https://ferlicot.fr

Re: Sign of Impending Iceberg Doom on Pharo 6.1

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
EstebanLM wrote
> You would ask why being an obsolete version we do not backport the good
> version for Pharo 6.1

That is totally understandable.

EstebanLM wrote
> recommended to install themselves the correct version...

Ah! I didn't realize there was still a viable upgrade path. I will check
that out!

-----
Cheers,
Sean