Simple Morphic

EuanM
What is the current state of development of Simple Morph?

Is there any documentation on how to use it, or is it allInTheCode ?

Re: Simple Morphic

KenDickey
On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 14:13:57 +0000
Euan Mee <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What is the current state of development of Simple Morph?

I am not sure what you mean by Simple Morph.

Cuis has been taking steps toward Morphic3:

https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/blob/master/Documentation/NotesOnMorphic.md

The MorphExtension class was removed.  (We have Morph Properties).

Morphs have float rather than integer location coordinates.

Morph location is relative to their owner, not the screen.

These are relatively small changes to get used to.

More radical are some of the other simplifications in the system.

The best example here is probably Layout.

LayoutMorphs do just that for their submorphs.  A LayoutSpec is attached to individual Morphs to tell their container how they want to be layed out.  See the class comments.

The code in LayoutMorph is much smaller (see LayoutMorph>>layoutSubmorphsHorizontallyIn:) than corresponding layout code in Squeak or Pharo.

See LayoutMorph class examples.

If you git clone the Morphic-Misc1 package and load it you can get Layout editors:

Open a shell and cd to the directory containing Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev

  git clone https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Morphic-Misc1.git

Go to Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev, open an image and use a Workspace to require the package:

  Feature require:  'Morphic-Misc1'.

Then use the LayoutMorph class examples, select (sub) morphs, open a LayoutMorph Editor (or a LayoutSpec Editor) and play with the settings.

Note that these editors are "one-shot" and will close after setting or cancelling, so click on the "push pin" in the upper right corner to keep them open.

If you have several editors open, you can use the "Show Halo" button to see which Morph an editor is adjusting.

> Is there any documentation on how to use it, or is it allInTheCode ?

See the above URL and continue to ask questions.  We need to make the documentation better over time and questions are very helpful here.

--
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Simple Morphic

EuanM
Thanks for the pointer to Morphic3 and its documentation.  I'll try to
contribute more naive-user questions :-)

What is the state of development of Morphic3?
  - complete stable codebase?
  - stable codebase for substantial parts, with fuurther extensions in
development?
  - central aspects still under development?
  - a design concept, coding yet to begin?

e.g. The documentation starts off with "Morphic3 *will have* scalable
graphics".  This might mean that Morphic3 works now, but does not yet
have scalable graphics.  Or it might just mean Morphic3 does not (yet)
work.

Generally, whenever I'm looking at a new platform, system, or package,
I am initially looking for answers of the type
   "Can I use it now?
        No /
        Yes /
        Yes to an extent, but..."

I'm very happy to write up aspects of the system/package as
fully-formed documentation, especially documentation for naive-users.
Please let me know if there specific places where this help is
already-known to be particularly needed.

I look forward (in the long run?) to trying Cuis and Morphic3 on Raspberry Pi.

In the meantime, I'm catching up on what's written at:
https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Morphic-Misc1
and
https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-ColorEditor

On 11 November 2015 at 16:13, KenD <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Nov 2015 14:13:57 +0000
> Euan Mee <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> What is the current state of development of Simple Morph?
>
> I am not sure what you mean by Simple Morph.
>
> Cuis has been taking steps toward Morphic3:
>
> https://github.com/Cuis-Smalltalk/Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev/blob/master/Documentation/NotesOnMorphic.md
>
> The MorphExtension class was removed.  (We have Morph Properties).
>
> Morphs have float rather than integer location coordinates.
>
> Morph location is relative to their owner, not the screen.
>
> These are relatively small changes to get used to.
>
> More radical are some of the other simplifications in the system.
>
> The best example here is probably Layout.
>
> LayoutMorphs do just that for their submorphs.  A LayoutSpec is attached to individual Morphs to tell their container how they want to be layed out.  See the class comments.
>
> The code in LayoutMorph is much smaller (see LayoutMorph>>layoutSubmorphsHorizontallyIn:) than corresponding layout code in Squeak or Pharo.
>
> See LayoutMorph class examples.
>
> If you git clone the Morphic-Misc1 package and load it you can get Layout editors:
>
> Open a shell and cd to the directory containing Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev
>
>   git clone https://github.com/KenDickey/Cuis-Smalltalk-Morphic-Misc1.git
>
> Go to Cuis-Smalltalk-Dev, open an image and use a Workspace to require the package:
>
>   Feature require:  'Morphic-Misc1'.
>
> Then use the LayoutMorph class examples, select (sub) morphs, open a LayoutMorph Editor (or a LayoutSpec Editor) and play with the settings.
>
> Note that these editors are "one-shot" and will close after setting or cancelling, so click on the "push pin" in the upper right corner to keep them open.
>
> If you have several editors open, you can use the "Show Halo" button to see which Morph an editor is adjusting.
>
>> Is there any documentation on how to use it, or is it allInTheCode ?
>
> See the above URL and continue to ask questions.  We need to make the documentation better over time and questions are very helpful here.
>
> --
> -KenD

Re: Simple Morphic

Phil B
Hi Euan,

On Wed, 2015-11-11 at 19:41 +0000, Euan Mee wrote:
> I am initially looking for answers of the type
>    "Can I use it now?
>         No /
>         Yes /
>         Yes to an extent, but..."

The short answer is no.  It's still at an experimental / work in
progress stage.  As Ken mentioned, you can take a look at a snapshot of
the code but it's not in a state where you can enable it and have
things even mostly work or be productive with it as your GUI.  There's
still much work to be done: functionality to be added, bugs to be
fixed, performance to be tuned etc.

Thanks,
Phil