Simple math editor/typesetter

Nick Chen
Hi

I'm working with some simple math equations and am looking for a nicer way to
display them. Is there any existing work that I might be able to re-use/build
upon?

For instance, given this equation, (1+2/3)*4 I would like to see it displayed
like the Equation Editor in Microsoft Word or the equations in a Mathematica
notebook. See attached screenshots:

Math equation in Microsoft Word

Equation in Mathematica

I'm not looking for anything fancy. Something simple to get me started would
be helpful as well.

I looked briefly at Dr. Geo but I don't think it support displaying equations in that
manner.

Thanks!

Nick

Re: Simple math editor/typesetter

Lukas Renggli
The Google infographic web service is probably the simplest one to use (there are many others): http://code.google.com/apis/chart/infographics/
You post a formula and get back a PNG that you display as a morph. Should be doable in 1 line of Smalltalk code.

Of course you can do the processing also yourself, but this is more complicated. Pier-Math does that for example.

Lukas

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On 11 September 2011 18:51, Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The Google infographic web service is probably the simplest one to use
> (there are many others): http://code.google.com/apis/chart/infographics/
> You post a formula and get back a PNG that you display as a morph. Should be
> doable in 1 line of Smalltalk code.

Also works with HTTPSocket instead of ZnClient, if you don't use Zinc:

   (ZnClient getPng: 'http://chart.googleapis.com/chart?cht=tx&chl=' ,
'a^2+b^2=c^2' encodeForHTTP) asMorph openInHand

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Simple math editor/typesetter

Nick Chen
Thanks for pointing out Google infographics; didn't know that it could also
display equations.

Preferably, I would like it to display using Morphs so that I can have more
options for interactivity e.g. editing and drag-and-drop. I already have a
parser implemented; this whole thing is part of a bigger project and I'm working
on the display part currently.

What happens in Pier-Math? I only know that Pier is a CMS on Seaside so I'm not
too familiar with the internal details. I assume that Pier-Math has some parser
and renders to HTML (perhaps using MathML or something). Does it render to
Morphic?

Are there any existing things that can render using Morphic directly in the
Smalltalk image?

Thanks.

--
Nick

Lukas Renggli wrote

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Simple math editor/typesetter

Lukas Renggli
> What happens in Pier-Math? I only know that Pier is a CMS on Seaside so I'm
> not
> too familiar with the internal details. I assume that Pier-Math has some
> parser
> and renders to HTML (perhaps using MathML or something). Does it render to
> Morphic?

No morphic rendering other than showing an image as morph. Pier-Math
just does the transformation from LaTeX to PNG locally using OSProcess
instead of relying on an external web service.

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch