Singing praise: Pharo is awesome!

Cameron Sanders-3
I was just doing some coding in my favorite dev environment today and I must say: Pharo is excellent!!

Seriously, nice work by all of you. You have all been cranking forward; progress has been frequent, which makes it both exciting and comforting.

I also realized today that the performance was weighing on me and making me not want to use Pharo recently; now  it feels meaningfully better for coding. There are many issues to be dealt with yet(*), however, there are many that have been dealt with. Numerous things, like the NetNameResolver (and associated issues), have been working for me on a Mac out-of-the-box, even though there are issues on other platforms -- i started to pick through the code today to get up to speed, but... just cannot invest any serious time right now. I hope to be a contributor later this year.

(*) no details available here... this thread is simply a song of praise.

Nice work. Thank You all for your effort and contributions!

-Cam

Re: Singing praise: Pharo is awesome!

Mariano Martinez Peck

2009/7/19 Cameron Sanders <[hidden email]>
I was just doing some coding in my favorite dev environment today and I must say: Pharo is excellent!!

Seriously, nice work by all of you. You have all been cranking forward; progress has been frequent, which makes it both exciting and comforting.

I also realized today that the performance was weighing on me and making me not want to use Pharo recently; now  it feels meaningfully better for coding.

That's was exactly why I suggested to make the default Pharo images faster(without the slow stuff). I saw a lot of people with the same thoughts.

Yes. Me too. They are making an excellent work!!!

best,

Mariano

There are many issues to be dealt with yet(*), however, there are many that have been dealt with. Numerous things, like the NetNameResolver (and associated issues), have been working for me on a Mac out-of-the-box, even though there are issues on other platforms -- i started to pick through the code today to get up to speed, but... just cannot invest any serious time right now. I hope to be a contributor later this year.

(*) no details available here... this thread is simply a song of praise.

Nice work. Thank You all for your effort and contributions!

-Cam

Re: Singing praise: Pharo is awesome!

Thanks.

you know contributing can be just as simple as checking that the bug
is happening as described
or trying to check why a message is sent but not implemented as
described in the bug tracker entries.

Stef

On Jul 20, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> I was just doing some coding in my favorite dev environment today
> and I must say: Pharo is excellent!!
>
> Seriously, nice work by all of you. You have all been cranking
> forward; progress has been frequent, which makes it both exciting
> and comforting.
>
> I also realized today that the performance was weighing on me and
> making me not want to use Pharo recently; now  it feels meaningfully
> better for coding. There are many issues to be dealt with yet(*),
> however, there are many that have been dealt with. Numerous things,
> like the NetNameResolver (and associated issues), have been working
> for me on a Mac out-of-the-box, even though there are issues on
> other platforms -- i started to pick through the code today to get
> up to speed, but... just cannot invest any serious time right now. I
> hope to be a contributor later this year.
>
> (*) no details available here... this thread is simply a song of
> praise.
>
> Nice work. Thank You all for your effort and contributions!
>
> -Cam

Re: Singing praise: Pharo is awesome!

Cameron Sanders-3
Stef & Pharo'ers,

You are right. And I feel bad that I did not see one of your emails
(until yesterday) asking me to fill in the details on one defect 2
months back. My apologies.

I will get better at helping... in a couple of months. Until then I
can only give you praise!

Sincerely,
Cameron Sanders

On Jul 20, 2009, at 2:27 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Thanks.
>
> you know contributing can be just as simple as checking that the bug
> is happening as described
> or trying to check why a message is sent but not implemented as
> described in the bug tracker entries.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jul 20, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>
>> I was just doing some coding in my favorite dev environment today
>> and I must say: Pharo is excellent!!
>>
>> Seriously, nice work by all of you. You have all been cranking
>> forward; progress has been frequent, which makes it both exciting
>> and comforting.
>>
>> I also realized today that the performance was weighing on me and
>> making me not want to use Pharo recently; now  it feels meaningfully
>> better for coding. There are many issues to be dealt with yet(*),
>> however, there are many that have been dealt with. Numerous things,
>> like the NetNameResolver (and associated issues), have been working
>> for me on a Mac out-of-the-box, even though there are issues on
>> other platforms -- i started to pick through the code today to get
>> up to speed, but... just cannot invest any serious time right now. I
>> hope to be a contributor later this year.
>>
>> (*) no details available here... this thread is simply a song of
>> praise.
>>
>> Nice work. Thank You all for your effort and contributions!
>>
>> -Cam

Re: Singing praise: Pharo is awesome!

Stéphane Ducasse
no problem :)

Stef

On Jul 20, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Cameron Sanders wrote:

> Stef & Pharo'ers,
>
> You are right. And I feel bad that I did not see one of your emails
> (until yesterday) asking me to fill in the details on one defect 2
> months back. My apologies.
>
> I will get better at helping... in a couple of months. Until then I
> can only give you praise!
>
> Sincerely,
> Cameron Sanders
>
> On Jul 20, 2009, at 2:27 AM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> you know contributing can be just as simple as checking that the bug
>> is happening as described
>> or trying to check why a message is sent but not implemented as
>> described in the bug tracker entries.
>>
>> Stef
>>
>> On Jul 20, 2009, at 12:13 AM, Cameron Sanders wrote:
>>
>>> I was just doing some coding in my favorite dev environment today
>>> and I must say: Pharo is excellent!!
>>>
>>> Seriously, nice work by all of you. You have all been cranking
>>> forward; progress has been frequent, which makes it both exciting
>>> and comforting.
>>>
>>> I also realized today that the performance was weighing on me and
>>> making me not want to use Pharo recently; now  it feels meaningfully
>>> better for coding. There are many issues to be dealt with yet(*),
>>> however, there are many that have been dealt with. Numerous things,
>>> like the NetNameResolver (and associated issues), have been working
>>> for me on a Mac out-of-the-box, even though there are issues on
>>> other platforms -- i started to pick through the code today to get
>>> up to speed, but... just cannot invest any serious time right now. I
>>> hope to be a contributor later this year.
>>>
>>> (*) no details available here... this thread is simply a song of
>>> praise.
>>>
>>> Nice work. Thank You all for your effort and contributions!
>>>
>>> -Cam

Re: Singing praise: Pharo is awesome!

Stéphane Ducasse
I forgot to say praise is ok too :)