Singleton access selector

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I've noticed we use a buffet of accessors for singletons, like #default, #instance, #current... it'd be nice to just pick one. I like #instance, but could live with any as long as I never have to guess which one from a list again :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Singleton access selector

Nicolas Cellier
To me, default and current suggest these are not singleton, and I
wouldn't be surprised to see a specific, previous and next instances.

Nicolas

2012/5/14 Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>:

> I've noticed we use a buffet of accessors for singletons, like #default,
> #instance, #current... it'd be nice to just pick one. I like #instance, but
> could live with any as long as I never have to guess which one from a list
> again :)
>
> Sean

Re: Singleton access selector

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've noticed we use a buffet of accessors for singletons, like #default,
#instance, #current... it'd be nice to just pick one. I like #instance, but
could live with any as long as I never have to guess which one from a list
again :)

Indeed. For me it depends in the case. For the general case, I like #uniqueInstance. And #default and #current I use it when it is not completly singleton. I mean, when there is a class side variable storing it, but there could be also some other instances, like non-default or non-current.

Sean

Mariano
http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Singleton access selector

Nicolas Cellier
Historically, #soleInstance can be found in st80 I think.

Nicolas

2012/5/14 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed we use a buffet of accessors for singletons, like #default,
>>> #instance, #current... it'd be nice to just pick one. I like #instance,
>>> but
>>> could live with any as long as I never have to guess which one from a
>>> list
>>> again :)
>>

>> Indeed. For me it depends in the case. For the general case, I like
>> #uniqueInstance. And #default and #current I use it when it is not completly
>> singleton. I mean, when there is a class side variable storing it, but there
>> could be also some other instances, like non-default or non-current.
>

> +1
>

>>> Sean
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Singleton access selector

Carla F. Griggio
For personal/work projects, I also use #uniqueInstance. It's true that if #current is used for singleton instances it could be ambiguous.

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 7:12 AM, Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Historically, #soleInstance can be found in st80 I think.

Nicolas

2012/5/14 Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]>:

> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 9:42 AM, Mariano Martinez Peck
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:24 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've noticed we use a buffet of accessors for singletons, like #default,
>>> #instance, #current... it'd be nice to just pick one. I like #instance,
>>> but
>>> could live with any as long as I never have to guess which one from a
>>> list
>>> again :)
>>

>> Indeed. For me it depends in the case. For the general case, I like
>> #uniqueInstance. And #default and #current I use it when it is not completly
>> singleton. I mean, when there is a class side variable storing it, but there
>> could be also some other instances, like non-default or non-current.
>

> +1
>

>>> Sean
>>>
>>> --
>>>

>> --
>> Mariano
>> http://marianopeck.wordpress.com

Re: Singleton access selector

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Mariano Martinez Peck wrote
Indeed. For me it depends in the case.
Fair enough, but let's have a protocol. For example, UIManager default... From Mac dictionary:
 default: "a preselected option... when no alternative is specified by the user"
Is that really what we mean? I don't think so. It should be current.

SystemAnnouncer is a very special class. It gets two identically implemented methods, #announcer and #current ;-)

So how about:
uniqueInstance -> There can be only one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AoOa-Fz2kw)
current -> There are many like it, but this one is mine (couldn't find the clip from Full Metal Jacket)
default -> Use this if you don't have any better ideas
Cheers,
Sean

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 3:43 PM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

Mariano Martinez Peck wrote

> Indeed. For me it depends in the case.

Fair enough, but let's have a protocol. For example, UIManager default...
From Mac dictionary: