Site fed by GemStone

Thelliez
Dear Gemstoners,

I just wanted to share that we released a new site ( http://www.regulations.doe.gov/certification-data/).

GLASS is used behind the scene to feed this site. GLASS collects and massages all the data from many Manufacturers. Only power users have access to the GLASS component.

The site itself is using the Ajax-SOLR framework (I was thinking of porting it to Amber but ran out of time).  Data AND Metadata are sent from Gemstone to Solr. The different HTML and Javascript files are generated from Gemstone too.

Cheers,
Thierry

Re: Site fed by GemStone

Paul DeBruicker
Hi Thierry,

    Do you have any plans to open source your Solr smalltalk client?  If not, is there much to it?

Thanks

Paul

Thelliez wrote
Dear Gemstoners,

I just wanted to share that we released a new site (
http://www.regulations.doe.gov/certification-data/).

GLASS is used behind the scene to feed this site. GLASS collects and
massages all the data from many Manufacturers. Only power users have access
to the GLASS component.

The site itself is using the Ajax-SOLR framework (I was thinking of porting
it to Amber but ran out of time).  Data AND Metadata are sent from Gemstone
to Solr. The different HTML and Javascript files are generated from
Gemstone too.

Cheers,
Thierry

Re: Site fed by GemStone

Thelliez

Paul,

(sorry for the delays)

There are several parts:

1- Exporting CSV/JS/HTML from Gemstone to import into SOLR:  That's highly application dependent and not a good candidate to be generalized, I think.  This was not trivial as we have heterogeneous schemas and they are changing often (even the meta-meta-data changes on a regular basis). Oh, and did I mention that we need to keep all versions ;-)   'Dynamic Fields' in SOLR made these dynamic schemas easy to import into SOLR.

2- Improving on top of Ajax-SOLR:  This is something we had to do for the site that you can see now.  This is a better candidate for open-sourcing, although this is not Smalltalk code.  In fact we need to take the time to share our changes. Several new widgets were created (sliders, live search, table,..).  And more attention was given to special characters and error handling.  Also out of the box, Ajax-SOLR makes two round-trips to the server.  We preferred having only one.

Hoping that this helps.

Thierry

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Paul DeBruicker <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Thierry,

    Do you have any plans to open source your Solr smalltalk client?  If
not, is there much to it?

Thanks

Paul

Thelliez wrote
> Dear Gemstoners,
>
> I just wanted to share that we released a new site (
> http://www.regulations.doe.gov/certification-data/).
>
> GLASS is used behind the scene to feed this site. GLASS collects and
> massages all the data from many Manufacturers. Only power users have
> access
> to the GLASS component.
>
> The site itself is using the Ajax-SOLR framework (I was thinking of
> porting
> it to Amber but ran out of time).  Data AND Metadata are sent from
> Gemstone
> to Solr. The different HTML and Javascript files are generated from
> Gemstone too.
>

> Cheers,
> Thierry

Re: Site fed by GemStone