SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

StephenASmith
Hi All,

Tried to submit this as a bug using Mantis but was unable to figure out how
to log in there? Do we need to register somewhere to submit bugs?

Trying to draw a line across a sketch, but I need my sketch to be wider than
the default width that the initial drawing area opens up at. I resize the
SketchEditor window using the halos, to the width I want, then try to draw a
horizontal line from left to right. The line stops drawing at what appears
to be the border of the original drawing area's right edge. I can't draw any
kind of shape past that point.

Anyone else having this issue? My desktop is 1920x1080. I'm using Squeak 5.2
build 18229 64bit Windows 10.

Stephen.

Re: SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
Stephen A Smith wrote on: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 19:42:43 -0600 (CST)
> Tried to submit this as a bug using Mantis but was unable to figure out how
> to log in there? Do we need to register somewhere to submit bugs?

I am not sure how active Mantis is. For now, sending it here is probably
a good idea.

> Trying to draw a line across a sketch, but I need my sketch to be wider than
> the default width that the initial drawing area opens up at. I resize the
> SketchEditor window using the halos, to the width I want, then try to draw a
> horizontal line from left to right. The line stops drawing at what appears
> to be the border of the original drawing area's right edge. I can't draw any
> kind of shape past that point.

My guess is that the morph gets resized but the associated bitmap
remains the same.

> Anyone else having this issue? My desktop is 1920x1080. I'm using Squeak 5.2
> build 18229 64bit Windows 10.

On Saturday this bit me as I tried to draw stuff during a Skype meeting.
I was using Squeak 4.2 All-in-one on a Mac.

The solution would be to create a new, larger bitmap to match the new
morph size and then copy the image from the old bitmap (you don't want
the current drawing to vanish). If the morph becomes smaller than the
bitmap, I would leave it alone so that the now unseen parts will
reappear if the morph is grown again. In that case it might be
interesting to truncate the bitmap to the current morph size when the
"keep" button is pressed.

-- Jecel

Re: SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

Karl Ramberg
Preference unlimitedPaintArea to true will open the painting in full screen. Except top menu border on desktop.

The resizing with halo handle is a bit tricky to get to work because of the way the paint area is initialized.
One can not easily override bounds: without tripping one self during initialization.

Cheers,
Karl

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 6:20 PM Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephen A Smith wrote on: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 19:42:43 -0600 (CST)
> Tried to submit this as a bug using Mantis but was unable to figure out how
> to log in there? Do we need to register somewhere to submit bugs?

I am not sure how active Mantis is. For now, sending it here is probably
a good idea.

> Trying to draw a line across a sketch, but I need my sketch to be wider than
> the default width that the initial drawing area opens up at. I resize the
> SketchEditor window using the halos, to the width I want, then try to draw a
> horizontal line from left to right. The line stops drawing at what appears
> to be the border of the original drawing area's right edge. I can't draw any
> kind of shape past that point.

My guess is that the morph gets resized but the associated bitmap
remains the same.

> Anyone else having this issue? My desktop is 1920x1080. I'm using Squeak 5.2
> build 18229 64bit Windows 10.

On Saturday this bit me as I tried to draw stuff during a Skype meeting.
I was using Squeak 4.2 All-in-one on a Mac.

The solution would be to create a new, larger bitmap to match the new
morph size and then copy the image from the old bitmap (you don't want
the current drawing to vanish). If the morph becomes smaller than the
bitmap, I would leave it alone so that the now unseen parts will
reappear if the morph is grown again. In that case it might be
interesting to truncate the bitmap to the current morph size when the
"keep" button is pressed.

-- Jecel

Re: SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

K K Subbu
On 18/02/19 7:12 AM, StephenASmith wrote:
> Anyone else having this issue? My desktop is 1920x1080. I'm using
> Squeak 5.2 build 18229 64bit Windows 10.

I can reproduce this with Squeak 5.2#18229/image:68021) on 64-bit Ubuntu
16.04

* Click in World to get world menu, choose "new morph"
* choose "make new drawing"
* middle click to get halo and expand the onion-skin
* draw a horizontal line to beyond the old right edge.
* line gets drawn only till the old right edge and not the new one.

When the SketchEditor painting area is resized, it's bounds get changed
but its paintingForm does not get updated.

This looks like an old lurking bug. I could reproduce it in Squeak 4.7
(32b Linux).

Regards .. Subbu

Re: SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

Karl Ramberg
I made a change that does mostly what you describe except save the drawing that is out side the bounds when you shrink the extent.
Maybe we should clamp the size to the minimal extent that contain your whole drawing so you can't accidentally lose anything.

Best,
Karl

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 6:20 PM Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <[hidden email]> wrote:
Stephen A Smith wrote on: Sun, 17 Feb 2019 19:42:43 -0600 (CST)
> Tried to submit this as a bug using Mantis but was unable to figure out how
> to log in there? Do we need to register somewhere to submit bugs?

I am not sure how active Mantis is. For now, sending it here is probably
a good idea.

> Trying to draw a line across a sketch, but I need my sketch to be wider than
> the default width that the initial drawing area opens up at. I resize the
> SketchEditor window using the halos, to the width I want, then try to draw a
> horizontal line from left to right. The line stops drawing at what appears
> to be the border of the original drawing area's right edge. I can't draw any
> kind of shape past that point.

My guess is that the morph gets resized but the associated bitmap
remains the same.

> Anyone else having this issue? My desktop is 1920x1080. I'm using Squeak 5.2
> build 18229 64bit Windows 10.

On Saturday this bit me as I tried to draw stuff during a Skype meeting.
I was using Squeak 4.2 All-in-one on a Mac.

The solution would be to create a new, larger bitmap to match the new
morph size and then copy the image from the old bitmap (you don't want
the current drawing to vanish). If the morph becomes smaller than the
bitmap, I would leave it alone so that the now unseen parts will
reappear if the morph is grown again. In that case it might be
interesting to truncate the bitmap to the current morph size when the
"keep" button is pressed.

-- Jecel

Re: SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

StephenASmith
Preference unlimitedPaintArea

Thanks, I did not know about this preference. I never even thought of
searching for "paint" related items.

Re: SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 2:18 PM StephenASmith <[hidden email]> wrote:
Preference unlimitedPaintArea

Thanks, I did not know about this preference. I never even thought of
searching for "paint" related items.

The reason the drawing area is limited in the first place is to get kids to draw smaller objects (large ones are too expensive to animate).

The only place in Etoys where you want large drawings is for backgrounds - and in that case, use the world's paint handle, which brings up a full-screen paint tool.

- Bert -

Re: SketchEditor drawing area not resizing with window resize

StephenASmith
Thanks Bert, another option I didn't even think of (the world's paint
handle). Which led me to the real solution to my problem - I need to bring
up the halos on my playfield and select the paint handle for it - voila, I
now have a way to draw a line right across the playfield, no matter how wide
it is.

For some reason, it never occurred to me to use the paint handle. I was
drawing things on my playfield by dragging a sketch object onto it for each
item I wanted to draw. This is kind of a forehead-slapping moment for me.

Bert Freudenberg wrote