Slack?

Uko2
Hi guys,

I’m thinking whether live chat can make sense for communication. And I know that there is IRC, but for some reason it’s not working for me (maybe because of clients).

I’ve seen many teams using Slack [1]. Is anybody willing to try that out. Or also maybe some have already created a pharo team on Slack?

Cheers.
Uko

Re: Slack?

ccrraaiigg

     Slack works very well for large groups. I'm already using it with a
group that is larger than this one.

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo

>      Slack works very well for large groups. I'm already using it with a
> group that is larger than this one.

+1

I think it would be better than the IRC alternative, no matter how
good your IRC client is.

Also it has native apps for Android, iOS, and desktop. (in case you
don't want the browser based UI).

The only drawback is the message retention in the free plan, it's
limited to 10.000 messages AFAIR, so searching its history becomes
limited (I don't know how this compares to current IRC server).

I went ahead and created http://pharoproject.slack.com (pharo name was
already used) and invited all the participants in this thread.

Please ask for more invitations!

Regards!

Re: Slack?

EstebanLM

> On 06 Oct 2015, at 16:10, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>     Slack works very well for large groups. I'm already using it with a
>> group that is larger than this one.
>
> +1

-1
I do not thing a tool will change community culture (because is not about tools, is about community culture here, and we are very “mail oriented”)
but not opposed to try it (if they have a desktop app for real: I will never use a web app… if you just have a web client to offer me, no matter how good it is, I will still believe is a crap.
I have an unbeatable reason: I have tons of browsers tabs open all the time, in different windows. If I have to search an app inside that stack, I will just not doit. Now, I have a good #irc client, and each time I want I do cmd+tab and go to see what is happening… I want the same experience)

> I think it would be better than the IRC alternative, no matter how
> good your IRC client is.

why? because is new? #irc is around since a lot and it has work fine for many groups of different sizes.

> Also it has native apps for Android, iOS, and desktop. (in case you
> don't want the browser based UI).
>
> The only drawback is the message retention in the free plan, it's
> limited to 10.000 messages AFAIR, so searching its history becomes
> limited (I don't know how this compares to current IRC server).
>
> I went ahead and created http://pharoproject.slack.com (pharo name was
> already used) and invited all the participants in this thread.

pharo name is also ours, I think… someone tried it a couple of years ago :)
(not me, so I don’t have an account)

> Please ask for more invitations!

anyway, I’m ok with testing it… but even the fact that you need invitations are more or less annoying for me :S

Esteban

ps: so, send me an invitation… :)

> --
> Regards!

Re: Slack?

EstebanLM

> On 06 Oct 2015, at 16:29, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 06 Oct 2015, at 16:10, Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>>    Slack works very well for large groups. I'm already using it with a
>>> group that is larger than this one.
>>
>> +1
>
> -1
> I do not thing a tool will change community culture (because is not about tools, is about community culture here, and we are very “mail oriented”)
> but not opposed to try it (if they have a desktop app for real: I will never use a web app… if you just have a web client to offer me, no matter how good it is, I will still believe is a crap.
> I have an unbeatable reason: I have tons of browsers tabs open all the time, in different windows. If I have to search an app inside that stack, I will just not doit. Now, I have a good #irc client, and each time I want I do cmd+tab and go to see what is happening… I want the same experience)
>

>> I think it would be better than the IRC alternative, no matter how
>> good your IRC client is.
>
> why? because is new? #irc is around since a lot and it has work fine for many groups of different sizes.
>

>> Also it has native apps for Android, iOS, and desktop. (in case you
>> don't want the browser based UI).
>>
>> The only drawback is the message retention in the free plan, it's
>> limited to 10.000 messages AFAIR, so searching its history becomes
>> limited (I don't know how this compares to current IRC server).
>>
>> I went ahead and created http://pharoproject.slack.com (pharo name was
>> already used) and invited all the participants in this thread.
>
> pharo name is also ours, I think… someone tried it a couple of years ago :)
> (not me, so I don’t have an account)
>

>> Please ask for more invitations!
>
> anyway, I’m ok with testing it… but even the fact that you need invitations are more or less annoying for me :S
>
> Esteban
>
> ps: so, send me an invitation… :)

heh… I logged to slack after… 2yrs… and yes, I have the #pharo slack.
So, let me invite you to see if I can do it… then we can test it.

>> --
>> Regards!

Re: Slack?

EstebanLM

On 06 Oct 2015, at 16:31, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

correction, I cannot handle the pharo domain, so we are back to pharoproject… I’m already hating it :)

Regards!

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> +1
>>
>> -1
>> I do not thing a tool will change community culture (because is not about tools, is about community culture here, and we are very “mail oriented”)
>> but not opposed to try it (if they have a desktop app for real: I will never use a web app… if you just have a web client to offer me, no matter how good it is, I will still believe is a crap.
>> I have an unbeatable reason: I have tons of browsers tabs open all the time, in different windows. If I have to search an app inside that stack, I will just not doit. Now, I have a good #irc client, and each time I want I do cmd+tab and go to see what is happening… I want the same experience)

I don't think it's going to change community culture, mailing and IM
are two separate things. That's why IRC didn't change anything related
mailing, in fact mailing is growing (or at least that's how I perceive
it).

Try it out, I've been using it since the beginning of this year, and
its comfortable.
I recommended it to a few techie friends, which were as skeptic about
it as  you, and they ended up liking it, so who knows... maybe we can
turn you to the other side of the force :P

>>> I think it would be better than the IRC alternative, no matter how
>>> good your IRC client is.
>>
>> why? because is new? #irc is around since a lot and it has work fine for many groups of different sizes.

Ey! I know IRC and used it since BitchX and then mIRC!

But it's not because it's new, it's because is prettier, in provides
nice integrations with other services (GitHub, CI, you name it), file
previews.

>>> Please ask for more invitations!

>> anyway, I’m ok with testing it… but even the fact that you need invitations are more or less annoying for me :S
>>
>> Esteban
>>
>> ps: so, send me an invitation… :)
>
> heh… I logged to slack after… 2yrs… and yes, I have the #pharo slack.
> So, let me invite you to see if I can do it… then we can test it.

Ha!

I sent you an invitation.

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> why? because is new? #irc is around since a lot and it has work fine for many groups of different sizes.
>
> Ey! I know IRC and used it since BitchX and then mIRC!
>
> But it's not because it's new, it's because is prettier, in provides
> nice integrations with other services (GitHub, CI, you name it), file
> previews.

I just found it has a Gateway so you can use your existing XMPP or IRC
client to connect to it.

So no need to stop using your beloved IRC client :)

I'm trying to set it up.

Regards!

Esteban.

Re: Slack?

kilon.alios
Quite frankly, the reason why IRC is so extremely popular, is because it does its job very well and has some very nice clients. I am active at #Pharo because I use several IRC channels, #Blender , #C++ , #Opengl , #MACOS , #unrealengine , #emacs , #blendercoders and #blenderpython. So the incredible power of IRC is not its features, but its community.

I dont have an issue giving a slack a try but I see no reason to.

On Tue, Oct 6, 2015 at 6:05 PM Esteban A. Maringolo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> why? because is new? #irc is around since a lot and it has work fine for many groups of different sizes.
>
> Ey! I know IRC and used it since BitchX and then mIRC!
>
> But it's not because it's new, it's because is prettier, in provides
> nice integrations with other services (GitHub, CI, you name it), file
> previews.

I just found it has a Gateway so you can use your existing XMPP or IRC
client to connect to it.

So no need to stop using your beloved IRC client :)

I'm trying to set it up.

Regards!

Esteban.

Re: Slack?

stepharo
Not sure that yet another tool will help me to be more productive.
Don't count me in it.

Le 6/10/15 12:23, Yuriy Tymchuk a écrit :
Hi guys,

I’m thinking whether live chat can make sense for communication. And I know that there is IRC, but for some reason it’s not working for me (maybe because of clients).

I’ve seen many teams using Slack [1]. Is anybody willing to try that out. Or also maybe some have already created a pharo team on Slack?

Cheers.
Uko

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo
> Quite frankly, the reason why IRC is so extremely popular, is because it
> does its job very well and has some very nice clients. I am active at #Pharo
> because I use several IRC channels, #Blender , #C++ , #Opengl , #MACOS ,
> #unrealengine , #emacs , #blendercoders and #blenderpython. So the
> incredible power of IRC is not its features, but its community.

You don't have to give up your familiar tools. I set up the IRC
gateway, so you can access the slack channel without leaving your IRC
client.

I tried it today and it worked right away.

Regards.

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo
> Not sure that yet another tool will help me to be more productive.
> Don't count me in it.

I don't think it aims at making somebody more productive, but instead
to gather people with similar interests and avoid querying the mailing
list for trivial things.

Let's see if it works, if not, closing it is instantaneous.

Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo
If anybody still wants to join, and because Slack requires an
invitation to join, please go to http://slack4pharo.trentosur.com and
type your email address so we can send you the invite!

I'd like to get around 40 users aboard by the end of this month.

Regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

>> Not sure that yet another tool will help me to be more productive.
>> Don't count me in it.
>
> I don't think it aims at making somebody more productive, but instead
> to gather people with similar interests and avoid querying the mailing
> list for trivial things.
>
> Let's see if it works, if not, closing it is instantaneous.
>

> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo
We're already 31 registered users, with an average of  20% online!

Please promote it, maybe we could reach 100 by the end of the year.

Best regards!

Esteban A. Maringolo

> If anybody still wants to join, and because Slack requires an
> invitation to join, please go to http://slack4pharo.trentosur.com and
> type your email address so we can send you the invite!
>
> I'd like to get around 40 users aboard by the end of this month.
>
> Regards!
>

> Esteban A. Maringolo

>>> Not sure that yet another tool will help me to be more productive.
>>> Don't count me in it.
>>
>> I don't think it aims at making somebody more productive, but instead
>> to gather people with similar interests and avoid querying the mailing
>> list for trivial things.
>>
>> Let's see if it works, if not, closing it is instantaneous.
>>

>> Esteban A. Maringolo

Re: Slack?

abergel
Just wondering. Is IRC still popular?

Alexandre

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 1:03 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Quite frankly, the reason why IRC is so extremely popular, is because it does its job very well and has some very nice clients. I am active at #Pharo because I use several IRC channels, #Blender , #C++ , #Opengl , #MACOS , #unrealengine , #emacs , #blendercoders and #blenderpython. So the incredible power of IRC is not its features, but its community.
>
> I dont have an issue giving a slack a try but I see no reason to.

> > Ey! I know IRC and used it since BitchX and then mIRC!
> >
> > But it's not because it's new, it's because is prettier, in provides
> > nice integrations with other services (GitHub, CI, you name it), file
> > previews.
>
> I just found it has a Gateway so you can use your existing XMPP or IRC
> client to connect to it.
>
> So no need to stop using your beloved IRC client :)
>
> I'm trying to set it up.
>
> Regards!
>
> --
> Esteban.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Slack?

kilon.alios
extremely, nothing comes remotely close. Pretty much every open source project has at least one channel in freenode.net, quakenet is very popular with gamers . #python has around 2000 people online at all times, #clojure 700 , #java 466 , #c++ 1000, #emacs 1000, there is even irc channels for computets back from the 80s like my first computer Amstrad CPC 6128 at #cpc etc

Blender which the program I use the most has around 5 channels, Blender also is a bit special in that all the development effort is coordinated via irc meetings usually every Sunday where all main devs are required to attend , moderated by the project leader , and make decisions on how the project should proceed, which features should go in and when the releases should come out. The project leader then publishes the meeting notes on the website which is a summary of the irc chat. There are other projects that follow similar approach to their development too like mypaint and Gimp.

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 4:30 AM Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just wondering. Is IRC still popular?

Alexandre

> On Oct 6, 2015, at 1:03 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Quite frankly, the reason why IRC is so extremely popular, is because it does its job very well and has some very nice clients. I am active at #Pharo because I use several IRC channels, #Blender , #C++ , #Opengl , #MACOS , #unrealengine , #emacs , #blendercoders and #blenderpython. So the incredible power of IRC is not its features, but its community.
>
> I dont have an issue giving a slack a try but I see no reason to.

> > Ey! I know IRC and used it since BitchX and then mIRC!
> >
> > But it's not because it's new, it's because is prettier, in provides
> > nice integrations with other services (GitHub, CI, you name it), file
> > previews.
>
> I just found it has a Gateway so you can use your existing XMPP or IRC
> client to connect to it.
>
> So no need to stop using your beloved IRC client :)
>
> I'm trying to set it up.
>
> Regards!
>
> --
> Esteban.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Slack?

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 12-10-15 23:11, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
> We're already 31 registered users, with an average of  20% online!

Why does the invite say already_invited?

Stephan

Re: Slack?

Esteban A. Maringolo
> On 12-10-15 23:11, Esteban A. Maringolo wrote:
>>
>> We're already 31 registered users, with an average of  20% online!

> Why does the invite say already_invited?

Because from the mobile app it suggested me a few people to invite,
maybe you're email was one of these.

Regards,

Esteban A. Maringolo