Slides from Smalltalks 2013?

Hannes Hirzel
Hello Juan

I just had a look at the your presentation at Smalltalks 2013,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIwbx-eDcI&list=PLCGAAdUizzH027lLWKXh_44cGuEsay7-R&index=44

May I ask you for the slides you showed there, it is a bit difficult
to read in the video

Minute 1:05
Reflexiones en el momento en que Squeak estaba estancado, y surgian Cuis y Pharo

Minute 3:37
Estamos en la Edad Media

Minute 6:27
Dynabook  e un  nuevo tipo de instrumento

Minute 9:43
Una Dynabook para programadores

Castilian is fine.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
Hannes

Re: Slides from Smalltalks 2013?

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Hannes,

Find the slides at http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2013/ . They are
_both_ in English and Castilian. BTW I really appreciate you calling our
language by its proper name: Castilian, not Spanish. (anybody
interested, check
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_given_to_the_Spanish_language ).

For the second part of my talk I didn't use any slides, but talked about
what is in Images.zip. Seeing the actual images while listening to the
talk makes sense, I hope.

It is not my intention to offend anyone with my words, but to explain
why at some point I stopped trying to change Squeak in a deep way, and
just forked it creating Cuis.

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 12/3/2013 5:30 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:

> Hello Juan
>
> I just had a look at the your presentation at Smalltalks 2013,
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIwbx-eDcI&list=PLCGAAdUizzH027lLWKXh_44cGuEsay7-R&index=44
>
> May I ask you for the slides you showed there, it is a bit difficult
> to read in the video
>
> Minute 1:05
> Reflexiones en el momento en que Squeak estaba estancado, y surgian Cuis y Pharo
>
> Minute 3:37
> Estamos en la Edad Media
>

> Minute 6:27
> Dynabook  e un  nuevo tipo de instrumento
>
> Minute 9:43
> Una Dynabook para programadores
>

> Castilian is fine.
>
> Thank you in advance.
>
> Regards
> Hannes

Re: Slides from Smalltalks 2013?

Hannes Hirzel
Thank you, Juan

in particular interesting is slide 6 of
http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2013/Smalltalks2013VuletichEnglish.pdf

Cuis is a Dynabook for programmers

I think that we programmers are a privileged kind. This is because the
Dynabook does exist for us. Smalltalk-80 and its offspring are real Dynabooks,
if the user is a Smalltalk programmer.

Smalltalk eases the activities we expect a Dynabook to be used for:

It allows the
    - design,
    - simulation,
    - experimentation and
    - documentation
of active knowledge.

The Cuis project explores the possibilities and reality of Smalltalk as a
programmer´s Dynabook:

    An universal processor of ideas and knowledge,
   that lets the user run any system of ideas and artistic expression
he might want.

-- Hannes

On 12/4/13, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Hannes,
>
> Find the slides at http://www.jvuletich.org/Smalltalks2013/ . They are
> _both_ in English and Castilian. BTW I really appreciate you calling our
> language by its proper name: Castilian, not Spanish. (anybody
> interested, check
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_given_to_the_Spanish_language ).
>
> For the second part of my talk I didn't use any slides, but talked about
> what is in Images.zip. Seeing the actual images while listening to the
> talk makes sense, I hope.
>
> It is not my intention to offend anyone with my words, but to explain
> why at some point I stopped trying to change Squeak in a deep way, and
> just forked it creating Cuis.
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 12/3/2013 5:30 PM, H. Hirzel wrote:
>> Hello Juan
>>
>> I just had a look at the your presentation at Smalltalks 2013,
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIwbx-eDcI&list=PLCGAAdUizzH027lLWKXh_44cGuEsay7-R&index=44
>>
>> May I ask you for the slides you showed there, it is a bit difficult
>> to read in the video
>>
>> Minute 1:05
>> Reflexiones en el momento en que Squeak estaba estancado, y surgian Cuis y
>> Pharo
>>
>> Minute 3:37
>> Estamos en la Edad Media
>>

>> Minute 6:27
>> Dynabook  e un  nuevo tipo de instrumento
>>
>> Minute 9:43
>> Una Dynabook para programadores
>>

>> Castilian is fine.
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>>
>> Regards
>> Hannes

Re: Slides from Smalltalks 2013?

Casey Ransberger-2
Below

> On Dec 3, 2013, at 6:15 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> BTW I really appreciate you calling our language by its proper name: Castilian, not Spanish. (anybody interested, check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_given_to_the_Spanish_language ).

Incidentally this is great too. Now I know, and the article is a fascinating read.

Re: Slides from Smalltalks 2013?

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, basically the WP article tells us

"When naming the common language of Spain and of many nations of the
Americas, which is also spoken as a first language in other parts of
the world, the terms Castilian and Spanish are [both] valid."

But there are preferences according to the country. See attached
picture from Wikipedia. The WP commons entry says

   "This map image could be recreated using vector graphics as an SVG file"

And later on it could be displayed in Morphic 3.
   :-)

The entry is derived from
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Castellano-Espa%C3%B1ol.png

However it is not clear where the information came from. The caption
in the article says "citation needed".

--Hannes

On 12/5/13, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Below
>
>> On Dec 3, 2013, at 6:15 PM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> BTW I really appreciate you calling our language by its proper name:
>> Castilian, not Spanish. (anybody interested, check
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_given_to_the_Spanish_language ).
>
> Incidentally this is great too. Now I know, and the article is a fascinating
> read.

=?UTF-8?B?MjgwcHgtQ2FzdGVsbGFuby1Fc3Bhw7FvbC0=?= =?UTF-8?B?ZW4ucG5n?= (55K) Download Attachment