Slow text input?

12

Slow text input?

SeanTAllen
Hi all,

I opened an old 1.2.1 image and text input was incredibly slow.

I tried the latest one click and text input is very slow and jerky.

Has anyone else ever experienced something like this on a Mac?
Its really frustrating. Every pharo image I have is seemingly unusable.

-Sean-

Re: Slow text input?

Guido Stepken

> Hi all,
>
> I opened an old 1.2.1 image and text input was incredibly slow.
>
> I tried the latest one click and text input is very slow and jerky.
>
> Has anyone else ever experienced something like this on a Mac?
> Its really frustrating. Every pharo image I have is seemingly unusable.

Never say such things about Pharo here!!! Be aware of ProfStef. Too much bad energy! Think positive. Say: "Pharo is brilliant, maybe sometimes a bit slow!"

Ok?

Re: Slow text input?

SeanTAllen

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I opened an old 1.2.1 image and text input was incredibly slow.
>
> I tried the latest one click and text input is very slow and jerky.
>
> Has anyone else ever experienced something like this on a Mac?
> Its really frustrating. Every pharo image I have is seemingly unusable.

Never say such things about Pharo here!!! Be aware of ProfStef. Too much bad energy! Think positive. Say: "Pharo is brilliant, maybe sometimes a bit slow!"

Ok?

This is new. This wasn't happening before. This is happening with images that were fine the last time I opened them in the spring.
Something is messed up on my machine. Hoping someone else has gone through this and fixed it.

Re: Slow text input?

Guido Stepken
How should they notice? At 2 Gigaherz CPU power even the worst and totally messed up code seems to run fine!!! :-)

And when they build up simple web servers with seaside on pharo, they use to use 5 Images on three machines with a load balancer in between and a "wakeup daemon" for the case, that one or more pharo images die a sudden death due to "overload at perhaps 50 simultaneous clients"

This is modern software engineering!

Have fun!

Guido Stepken

Am 15.11.2011 um 04:02 schrieb Sean Allen <[hidden email]>:

On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I opened an old 1.2.1 image and text input was incredibly slow.
>
> I tried the latest one click and text input is very slow and jerky.
>
> Has anyone else ever experienced something like this on a Mac?
> Its really frustrating. Every pharo image I have is seemingly unusable.

Never say such things about Pharo here!!! Be aware of ProfStef. Too much bad energy! Think positive. Say: "Pharo is brilliant, maybe sometimes a bit slow!"

Ok?

This is new. This wasn't happening before. This is happening with images that were fine the last time I opened them in the spring.
Something is messed up on my machine. Hoping someone else has gone through this and fixed it.

Re: Slow text input?

Igor Stasenko
On 15 November 2011 05:02, Sean Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 14, 2011 at 9:52 PM, Guido Stepken <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I opened an old 1.2.1 image and text input was incredibly slow.
>> >
>> > I tried the latest one click and text input is very slow and jerky.
>> >
>> > Has anyone else ever experienced something like this on a Mac?
>> > Its really frustrating. Every pharo image I have is seemingly unusable.
>>
>> Never say such things about Pharo here!!! Be aware of ProfStef. Too much
>> bad energy! Think positive. Say: "Pharo is brilliant, maybe sometimes a bit
>> slow!"
>>
>> Ok?

Guido, what is your problem with Pharo? If you don't like it, nobody
forcing you to use it.
If you want to use it, but it doesn't meets your high standards, feel
free to help improve it.
Trolling won't change anything.

> This is new. This wasn't happening before. This is happening with images
> that were fine the last time I opened them in the spring.
> Something is messed up on my machine. Hoping someone else has gone through
> this and fixed it.

Can you provide more details? What is VM version you using, what is OS
version etc.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Slow text input?

SeanTAllen

> This is new. This wasn't happening before. This is happening with images
> that were fine the last time I opened them in the spring.
> Something is messed up on my machine. Hoping someone else has gone through
> this and fixed it.

Can you provide more details? What is VM version you using, what is OS
version etc.

Mac OS X 10.6.8

I deleted the vm I had. Tried various one clicks.

1.2.1 & latest 1.3 ( downloaded an hour ago )

and both have the issue.

I deleted the vm I had for non one click images and am going to trying installing a new one to see if that helps.

Re: Slow text input?

Guido Stepken

> Guido, what is your problem with Pharo? If you don't like it, nobody forcing you to use it.

Nobody forces me.

> If you want to use it, but it doesn't meets your high standards, feel free to help improve it. Trolling won't change anything.

I'm not trolling. I am tester. It usually takes ... hmmm ... 10 Minutes of klicking around a bit, until Pharo freezes. Last time it happened 2 days ago, all patches applied.

Have fun, Guido Stepken

Re: Slow text input?

csrabak
Em 15/11/2011 01:48, Guido Stepken < [hidden email] > escreveu:
> > Guido,  what is  your problem  with Pharo? If  you don't  like it,
> nobody forcing you to use it.
>  Nobody forces me.
>  > If you want to use  it, but it doesn't meets your high standards,
> feel free to help improve it. Trolling won't change anything.
>  I'm not  trolling. I am  tester. It usually  takes ... hmmm  ... 10
> Minutes of klicking around a  bit, until Pharo freezes. Last time it
> happened 2 days ago, all patches applied.

Guido,

Your post above can be analysed in several ways. I'll concede for start that Igor's first impression /might/ be wrong and your assertion "I'm not trolling."  is sincere.

However, the rest of the post evaluates to the following: If you really believe in your second affirmation "I am  tester." there are some possible explanations:

1) You're delusional about your testing skills and need to improve them, learning how to give us reproducible examples with accurate reports so your "tests" mean something; or

2) You keep poking the mouse at the world area of a Pharo launched image and when you get bored you declare "a freeze" and come here to tease us.

For the first I'd advise you to learn to do tests which are actionable and post your results here. For the second, make a self assessment on what is the contribution for Pharo, or the craft of programming of your present behaviour in this list.

Re: Slow text input?

Igor Stasenko
On 15 November 2011 06:03,  <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Em 15/11/2011 01:48, Guido Stepken < [hidden email] > escreveu:
>> > Guido,  what is  your problem  with Pharo? If  you don't  like it,
>> nobody forcing you to use it.
>>  Nobody forces me.
>>  > If you want to use  it, but it doesn't meets your high standards,
>> feel free to help improve it. Trolling won't change anything.
>>  I'm not  trolling. I am  tester. It usually  takes ... hmmm  ... 10
>> Minutes of klicking around a  bit, until Pharo freezes. Last time it
>> happened 2 days ago, all patches applied.
>
> Guido,
>
> Your post above can be analysed in several ways. I'll concede for start that Igor's first impression /might/ be wrong and your assertion "I'm not trolling."  is sincere.
>
> However, the rest of the post evaluates to the following: If you really believe in your second affirmation "I am  tester." there are some possible explanations:
>
> 1) You're delusional about your testing skills and need to improve them, learning how to give us reproducible examples with accurate reports so your "tests" mean something; or
>
> 2) You keep poking the mouse at the world area of a Pharo launched image and when you get bored you declare "a freeze" and come here to tease us.
>
> For the first I'd advise you to learn to do tests which are actionable and post your results here. For the second, make a self assessment on what is the contribution for Pharo, or the craft of programming of your present behaviour in this list.

There's one more option: Yes, Guido is tester. But his test subject(s)
is not a software but us, or our reaction. This is the only conclusion
which i can draw by reading his posts which doesn't leads to
contradiction.
:)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko.

Re: Slow text input?

Guido Stepken
Hey, it's much simpler. I install, i look around what is new, has changed, and the Pharo dies. VM freezes, virtual machine crashes, whatever.

So i simply uninstall and wait patiently for the next release.

Ok?

Guido Stepken

Am 15.11.2011 um 05:11 schrieb Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

>>> nobody forcing you to use it.
>>>  Nobody forces me.
>>>  > If you want to use  it, but it doesn't meets your high standards,
>>> feel free to help improve it. Trolling won't change anything.
>>>  I'm not  trolling. I am  tester. It usually  takes ... hmmm  ... 10
>>> Minutes of klicking around a  bit, until Pharo freezes. Last time it
>>> happened 2 days ago, all patches applied.
>>
>> Guido,
>>
>> Your post above can be analysed in several ways. I'll concede for start that Igor's first impression /might/ be wrong and your assertion "I'm not trolling."  is sincere.
>>
>> However, the rest of the post evaluates to the following: If you really believe in your second affirmation "I am  tester." there are some possible explanations:
>>
>> 1) You're delusional about your testing skills and need to improve them, learning how to give us reproducible examples with accurate reports so your "tests" mean something; or
>>
>> 2) You keep poking the mouse at the world area of a Pharo launched image and when you get bored you declare "a freeze" and come here to tease us.
>>
>> For the first I'd advise you to learn to do tests which are actionable and post your results here. For the second, make a self assessment on what is the contribution for Pharo, or the craft of programming of your present behaviour in this list.
>>

> There's one more option: Yes, Guido is tester. But his test subject(s)
> is not a software but us, or our reaction. This is the only conclusion
> which i can draw by reading his posts which doesn't leads to
> contradiction.
> :)
>
> --
> Best regards,
> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Slow text input?

Sven Van Caekenberghe
Sean,

On 15 Nov 2011, at 04:39, Sean Allen wrote:

> Mac OS X 10.6.8
>
> I deleted the vm I had. Tried various one clicks.
>
> 1.2.1 & latest 1.3 ( downloaded an hour ago )
>
> and both have the issue.
>
> I deleted the vm I had for non one click images and am going to trying installing a new one to see if that helps.

This is _definitively_ not normal, many Pharo developers are on Mac, using it all day long, this would unbearable for any of us.

This must be a local problem. Do you have a chance to try this on some other mac so that you have a reference for yourself ?

Sven

Re: Slow text input?

NorbertHartl

Am 15.11.2011 um 05:30 schrieb Guido Stepken:

> Hey, it's much simpler. I install, i look around what is new, has changed, and the Pharo dies. VM freezes, virtual machine crashes, whatever.
>
> So i simply uninstall and wait patiently for the next release.
>
> Ok?

It is ok for you. For everyone that would like to use pharo would do it in a more systematic way. The person would probably tell which VM version he uses, which image he downloaded, what he really did and especially what he did when the problem ocurred. And the person would be able to tell if it was a freeze or a crash.
As you are not after problem solving but after nagging it seems to work quite ok.

Norbert

> Guido Stepken
>
> Am 15.11.2011 um 05:11 schrieb Igor Stasenko <[hidden email]>:

>>> Guido,
>>>
>>> Your post above can be analysed in several ways. I'll concede for start that Igor's first impression /might/ be wrong and your assertion "I'm not trolling."  is sincere.
>>>
>>> However, the rest of the post evaluates to the following: If you really believe in your second affirmation "I am  tester." there are some possible explanations:
>>>
>>> 1) You're delusional about your testing skills and need to improve them, learning how to give us reproducible examples with accurate reports so your "tests" mean something; or
>>>
>>> 2) You keep poking the mouse at the world area of a Pharo launched image and when you get bored you declare "a freeze" and come here to tease us.
>>>
>>> For the first I'd advise you to learn to do tests which are actionable and post your results here. For the second, make a self assessment on what is the contribution for Pharo, or the craft of programming of your present behaviour in this list.
>>>

>> There's one more option: Yes, Guido is tester. But his test subject(s)
>> is not a software but us, or our reaction. This is the only conclusion
>> which i can draw by reading his posts which doesn't leads to
>> contradiction.
>> :)
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Igor Stasenko.

Re: Slow text input?

NorbertHartl

Am 15.11.2011 um 04:39 schrieb Sean Allen:

> This is new. This wasn't happening before. This is happening with images
> that were fine the last time I opened them in the spring.
> Something is messed up on my machine. Hoping someone else has gone through
> this and fixed it.

Can you provide more details? What is VM version you using, what is OS
version etc.

Mac OS X 10.6.8

I deleted the vm I had. Tried various one clicks.

1.2.1 & latest 1.3 ( downloaded an hour ago )

and both have the issue.

I deleted the vm I had for non one click images and am going to trying installing a new one to see if that helps.

Sean,

do you have another machine handy? In this cases it might be a good idea to make a quick check with the same image on another machine.

Norbert

Re: Slow text input?

Marcus Denker-4

On Nov 15, 2011, at 1:30 AM, Guido Stepken wrote:

> Hey, it's much simpler. I install, i look around what is new, has changed, and the Pharo dies. VM freezes, virtual machine crashes, whatever.
>
> So i simply uninstall and wait patiently for the next release.
>
> Ok?

Yes. And please unsubsribe from this list while waiting.

        Marcus

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Slow text input?

Max Leske
Guys, seriously! What's with all the negativity lately?? We're supposed to be a community and to work together. Obviously not everyone can share everyone elses oppinions but that doesn't mean that we have to start flaming each other like script kiddies…

Please let Pharo be a friendly place to live.

Max

On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Max Leske wrote:

> Guys, seriously! What's with all the negativity lately??

Guido Stepken is the reason.

        Marcus

On 15 Nov 2011, at 11:28, Max Leske wrote:

> Guys, seriously! What's with all the negativity lately?? We're supposed to be a community and to work together. Obviously not everyone can share everyone elses oppinions but that doesn't mean that we have to start flaming each other like script kiddies…
>
> Please let Pharo be a friendly place to live.

The Pharo community _is_ a very friendly place and we _do_ work together just fine.

But one cannot enter any community with a aggressive, negative attitude, let alone an open-source community run volunteers.

It was a provocation and we should best just ignore it.

Sven

Re: Slow text input?

Marcus Denker-4

On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:39 AM, Guido Stepken wrote:

> Nobody likes the man who brings bad news. Sophocles, Antigone, Greek tragic dramatist (496 BC - 406 BC)

No. The question is if you are constructive or destructive.

I think the reasoning for you should be trivial: Pharo is not good enough for you. You don't intent to
help fixing that, you just want to show off how great you are by showing the (imagined) faults in others.

Please unsubscribe from the mailinglist.

        Marcus

> Am 15.11.2011 um 11:35 schrieb Marcus Denker <[hidden email]>:
>

>> On Nov 15, 2011, at 7:28 AM, Max Leske wrote:
>>
>>> Guys, seriously! What's with all the negativity lately??
>>
>> Guido Stepken is the reason.
>>
>>    Marcus
>>
>> --
>> Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

--
Marcus Denker -- http://marcusdenker.de

Re: Slow text input?

Guido Stepken
I think, programming, refactoring a peace of software has very much to do with model theory, Löwenheim-Skolem theory (related to fixed point theorem).

Good programmers migrate code, addon's from one stable, consistent state to the other. These "stable states" are expressed in release numbers.

What are you doing? Don't know!

regards, Guido Stepken