SmaCC can't find silence in Sound Library ?!

SmaCC can't find silence in Sound Library ?!

Oscar Nierstrasz

Hi,

I just loaded SmaCC and SmaCCDev into a Pharo image
(pharo0.1-10231dev09.02.1) and tried to start it up.

When I click on the tabs I get the annoying pop-up message: "silence
not found in the Sound library".

Has anyone else experienced this?  I did not find anything in the list
of issues.

Shall I add it? Anyone know how to fix it?

- on

---
Prof. Dr. O. Nierstrasz    -- [hidden email]
Software Composition Group -- http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg
University of Bern         -- Tel/Fax +41 31 631.4618/3355
vcard:  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~oscar/oscarNierstrasz.vcf

Re: SmaCC can't find silence in Sound Library ?!

Oscar Nierstrasz

I dug a little deeper. The message pops up in SampledSound
class>>soundNamed:, which (annoyingly) does a self inform: if the
named sound is not found.  Further up the stack,
TabbedPalette
(BookMorph)>>goToPageMorph:transitionSpec:runTransitionScripts: sends
self playPageFlipSound: tSpec first where tSpec is #('silence' #none
#none), which is the default value defined in
TabbedPallete>>transitionSpecFor:

Sounds are looked up in the class variable dictionary SoundLibrary
which appears to be empty.

ScriptLoader>>cleanUpForRelease sets the SoundLibrary to nil.

Shouldn't all the sounds listed in SampledSound
class>>universalSoundKeys be permanently in the image?

Where are they all?

- on

On Feb 23, 2009, at 14:00, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just loaded SmaCC and SmaCCDev into a Pharo image
> (pharo0.1-10231dev09.02.1) and tried to start it up.
>
> When I click on the tabs I get the annoying pop-up message: "silence
> not found in the Sound library".
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  I did not find anything in the list
> of issues.
>
> Shall I add it? Anyone know how to fix it?
>
> - on
>
> ---
> Prof. Dr. O. Nierstrasz    -- [hidden email]
> Software Composition Group -- http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg
> University of Bern         -- Tel/Fax +41 31 631.4618/3355
> vcard:  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~oscar/oscarNierstrasz.vcf

Re: SmaCC can't find silence in Sound Library ?!

one idea would be save a sound in 3.9 and reload it in this version.

stef

On Feb 23, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just loaded SmaCC and SmaCCDev into a Pharo image
> (pharo0.1-10231dev09.02.1) and tried to start it up.
>
> When I click on the tabs I get the annoying pop-up message: "silence
> not found in the Sound library".
>
> Has anyone else experienced this?  I did not find anything in the list
> of issues.
>
> Shall I add it? Anyone know how to fix it?
>
> - on
>
> ---
> Prof. Dr. O. Nierstrasz    -- [hidden email]
> Software Composition Group -- http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg
> University of Bern         -- Tel/Fax +41 31 631.4618/3355
> vcard:  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~oscar/oscarNierstrasz.vcf

Re: SmaCC can't find silence in Sound Library ?!

Adrian Lienhard
I would just remove the inform: to ignore playing a sound that does
not exist.
I don't think one really needs sound to work with SmaCC ;)

> Shouldn't all the sounds listed in SampledSound
> class>>universalSoundKeys be permanently in the image?
>
> Where are they all?

We removed the sound samples from the image to spare memory. Hence,
#universalSoundKeys should be updated.

I created http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=599

Adrian

On Feb 23, 2009, at 16:21 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> one idea would be save a sound in 3.9 and reload it in this version.
>
> stef
>
> On Feb 23, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I just loaded SmaCC and SmaCCDev into a Pharo image
>> (pharo0.1-10231dev09.02.1) and tried to start it up.
>>
>> When I click on the tabs I get the annoying pop-up message: "silence
>> not found in the Sound library".
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this?  I did not find anything in the
>> list
>> of issues.
>>
>> Shall I add it? Anyone know how to fix it?
>>
>> - on
>>
>> ---
>> Prof. Dr. O. Nierstrasz    -- [hidden email]
>> Software Composition Group -- http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg
>> University of Bern         -- Tel/Fax +41 31 631.4618/3355
>> vcard:  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~oscar/oscarNierstrasz.vcf

Re: SmaCC can't find silence in Sound Library ?!

Adrian Lienhard
I attached to the report a changeset that should fix the problem

http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/list?updated=599

It makes the Beep sound, which is still in the image, being played if
the requested sound name does not exist.

Adrian

On Feb 23, 2009, at 16:33 , Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> I would just remove the inform: to ignore playing a sound that does
> not exist.
> I don't think one really needs sound to work with SmaCC ;)
>
>> Shouldn't all the sounds listed in SampledSound
>> class>>universalSoundKeys be permanently in the image?
>>
>> Where are they all?
>

> We removed the sound samples from the image to spare memory. Hence,
> #universalSoundKeys should be updated.
>
> I created http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=599
>
> Adrian
>

> On Feb 23, 2009, at 16:21 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> one idea would be save a sound in 3.9 and reload it in this version.
>>
>> stef
>>
>> On Feb 23, 2009, at 2:00 PM, Oscar Nierstrasz wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just loaded SmaCC and SmaCCDev into a Pharo image
>>> (pharo0.1-10231dev09.02.1) and tried to start it up.
>>>
>>> When I click on the tabs I get the annoying pop-up message: "silence
>>> not found in the Sound library".
>>>
>>> Has anyone else experienced this?  I did not find anything in the
>>> list
>>> of issues.
>>>
>>> Shall I add it? Anyone know how to fix it?
>>>
>>> - on
>>>
>>> ---
>>> Prof. Dr. O. Nierstrasz    -- [hidden email]
>>> Software Composition Group -- http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg
>>> University of Bern         -- Tel/Fax +41 31 631.4618/3355
>>> vcard:  http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~oscar/oscarNierstrasz.vcf

Re: SmaCC can't find silence in Sound Library ?!

Oscar Nierstrasz

Excellent!

- on