Small "code" editor example for improving a GUI

Small "code" editor example for improving a GUI

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Hi,

I would like to create some GUI that would be essentially a text area
field plus some buttons. The idea is to support

- Font size increasing/decreasing.

- Syntaxt highlighting for markup languages.

I gave a glimpse to the RubTextAreaExamples yesterday, but if anyone
knows a more complete example to start with, that would be really helpful.

Cheers,

Offray

Re: Small "code" editor example for improving a GUI

Peter Uhnak
On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:41:10AM -0500, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to create some GUI that would be essentially a text
> area field plus some buttons. The idea is to support
>
> - Font size increasing/decreasing.
>
> - Syntaxt highlighting for markup languages.

The hardest part is the syntax highlighting itself, because you need (ideally non-strict) parser and highlighter for each language. There are several languages that use PetitParser for both.
Then you basically build up the text with `Text`, (`Text` class supports things like specifying color, emphasis, etc.).

And then you can just show the text in a RubTextArea.

You can even use Spec' TextModel; I used TextModel and PetitParser based highlightning for coloring my DSL, but I never got around to finishing it.

I believe Johan's Live State Machine editor does something similar.

Also look at Pillar support (I saw mails floating around that it was updated or something).

Peter

> I gave a glimpse to the RubTextAreaExamples yesterday, but if anyone
> knows a more complete example to start with, that would be really
> helpful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Offray

Re: Small "code" editor example for improving a GUI

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Thanks Peter,

I will start with the font increase, decrease part then. Is important.
My eyes are not so young now. Will try building some small widget with a
Tex class using text area and two buttons. It shouldn't be so hard.

Cheers,

Offray

On 06/10/16 12:45, Peter Uhnak wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:41:10AM -0500, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to create some GUI that would be essentially a text
>> area field plus some buttons. The idea is to support
>>
>> - Font size increasing/decreasing.
>>
>> - Syntaxt highlighting for markup languages.
> The hardest part is the syntax highlighting itself, because you need (ideally non-strict) parser and highlighter for each language. There are several languages that use PetitParser for both.
> Then you basically build up the text with `Text`, (`Text` class supports things like specifying color, emphasis, etc.).
>
> And then you can just show the text in a RubTextArea.
>
> You can even use Spec' TextModel; I used TextModel and PetitParser based highlightning for coloring my DSL, but I never got around to finishing it.
>
> I believe Johan's Live State Machine editor does something similar.
>
> Also look at Pillar support (I saw mails floating around that it was updated or something).
>
> Peter
>

>> I gave a glimpse to the RubTextAreaExamples yesterday, but if anyone
>> knows a more complete example to start with, that would be really
>> helpful.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray

Re: Small "code" editor example for improving a GUI

kilon.alios
I am a masochist and still use Morphic
I love Morphic
Yes I know I have talked to my psychiatrist about it, he adjusted my drugs
On Thu, 6 Oct 2016 at 20:52, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Peter,

I will start with the font increase, decrease part then. Is important.
My eyes are not so young now. Will try building some small widget with a
Tex class using text area and two buttons. It shouldn't be so hard.

Cheers,

Offray

On 06/10/16 12:45, Peter Uhnak wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 06, 2016 at 10:41:10AM -0500, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to create some GUI that would be essentially a text
>> area field plus some buttons. The idea is to support
>>
>> - Font size increasing/decreasing.
>>
>> - Syntaxt highlighting for markup languages.
> The hardest part is the syntax highlighting itself, because you need (ideally non-strict) parser and highlighter for each language. There are several languages that use PetitParser for both.
> Then you basically build up the text with `Text`, (`Text` class supports things like specifying color, emphasis, etc.).
>
> And then you can just show the text in a RubTextArea.
>
> You can even use Spec' TextModel; I used TextModel and PetitParser based highlightning for coloring my DSL, but I never got around to finishing it.
>
> I believe Johan's Live State Machine editor does something similar.
>
> Also look at Pillar support (I saw mails floating around that it was updated or something).
>
> Peter
>

>> I gave a glimpse to the RubTextAreaExamples yesterday, but if anyone
>> knows a more complete example to start with, that would be really
>> helpful.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray

Re: Small "code" editor example for improving a GUI

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 06/10/16 17:41, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
> I gave a glimpse to the RubTextAreaExamples yesterday, but if anyone
> knows a more complete example to start with, that would be really helpful.

Did you take a look at my CodePanel experiment code?

Stephan

On 06/10/16 14:29, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
> On 06/10/16 17:41, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>> I gave a glimpse to the RubTextAreaExamples yesterday, but if anyone
>> knows a more complete example to start with, that would be really
>> helpful.
>
> Did you take a look at my CodePanel experiment code?

Thanks Stephan for pointing me this. I have installed it and the
behaviour regarding Ctrl +, Ctrl -, to increase/decrease font size is
pretty much what I'm looking for. I will try to cross some of these
ideas with Doru's last Pillar editor.

Cheers,

Offray