Small formatting error in 9.2

Long Haired David
Hi Everyone.

Does anyone else see this?

Since I have moved to 9.2 I am getting a formatting error.

I enter

self currentCount = self memberItems size

and the auto format turns it into

(self currentCount = self) memberItems size

which is no help at all.

If it made it

(self currentCount = self memberItems size) that would help but it puts the right bracket in as I type, not at the end of the line.

David
Totally Objects

David
Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Small formatting error in 9.2

Mariano Martinez Peck-2
Hi David,

We tried your example like this:

1) Create a method:

foo
     self currentCount = self memberItems size

2) Load ENV:QA and do a "Format Text" (or Ctrl+w)

But the result is correct to me. See attached.

How can we reproduce it?

Best,

On Tue, Jan 21, 2020 at 8:04 AM Totally Objects <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone.

Does anyone else see this?

Since I have moved to 9.2 I am getting a formatting error.

I enter

self currentCount = self memberItems size

and the auto format turns it into

(self currentCount = self) memberItems size

which is no help at all.

If it made it

(self currentCount = self memberItems size) that would help but it puts the right bracket in as I type, not at the end of the line.

David
Totally Objects

Mariano Martinez Peck
Software Engineer, Instantiations Inc.

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 12.45.38 PM.png (177K) Download Attachment

Re: Small formatting error in 9.2

jtuchel
David,

are you sure it is happing when you autoformat?

I only know this from autocompletion when you select the option with a backpointing yellow arrow (if I remember correctly). I've been bitten by this quite often ever since autocompletion was added to VAST. And I mostly "select" this option when it turns out wrong. But that is me pressing enter before my brain starts thinking ,-)

Joachim

Am Dienstag, 21. Januar 2020 12:04:37 UTC+1 schrieb Totally Objects:
Hi Everyone.

Does anyone else see this?

Since I have moved to 9.2 I am getting a formatting error.

I enter

self currentCount = self memberItems size

and the auto format turns it into

(self currentCount = self) memberItems size

which is no help at all.

If it made it

(self currentCount = self memberItems size) that would help but it puts the right bracket in as I type, not at the end of the line.

David
Totally Objects

Re: Small formatting error in 9.2

Julian Ford-2
I just wanted to add my $0.02....

I have actually seen this very same behaviour in 9.1.
It is not reliably reproduceable, which is why I did not report it.
It does not happen often, and I am yet to isolate the specifics....but if I do, I will report it.

Regards,
Julian

On Tuesday, January 21, 2020 at 6:04:37 AM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:
Hi Everyone.

Does anyone else see this?

Since I have moved to 9.2 I am getting a formatting error.

I enter

self currentCount = self memberItems size

and the auto format turns it into

(self currentCount = self) memberItems size

which is no help at all.

If it made it

(self currentCount = self memberItems size) that would help but it puts the right bracket in as I type, not at the end of the line.

David
Totally Objects

Re: Small formatting error in 9.2

Stephan Henke
I just observed:

^(self exportFileExtension, ';', self) exportFileExtension64

I think I used the autocompletion for the last method.

Re: Small formatting error in 9.2

Seth Berman
Greetings Stephan,

Are we talking about the autocompletion behavior, or the original formatting issue?

If its the autocompletion behavior, there should be multiple "exportFileExtension64" in the list with arrows to indicate the precedence.
This is described more in detail in the documentation under the Code Completion Suggestions -> Method Suggestions: section
https://www.instantiations.com/docs/92/wwhelp/wwhimpl/js/html/wwhelp.htm#href=vaast/vaast-3cc.html

The simple answer is the expression that you show is highly ambiguous in terms of what is meant by 'self exportFileExtension, ';', self' followed by a completion request.
Its simply can't possibly know what part of the expression you are referring to.  This makes the smalltalk syntax tougher than any C language with regards to code completion.
There are settings to change how precedence is presented if the way your "brain" works differs from that of the author "me".
Those settings should be described on that same page in the documentation as well.

- Seth