Small problem with Redline St

Georges-2
Hi.

Brand new to this group.

I just downloaded and installed Redline as instructed. All lights
seemed green.
But then
   ./stic -s examples st.redline.HelloWorld
does not find HelloWorld (and indeed, no examples/st/redline/
HelloWorld.st to be found).

Any hint ?

Thanks

Georges

Re: Small problem with Redline St

James Ladd
Hi Georges,

Welcome. We hope you have a good experience with RL and its community.
Have you tried following the Getting Started Guide here:

http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html

Usually when HelloWorld.st is not found you need to export REDLINE_HOME.
How to do this and some additional useful info is in the Getting Started Guide.

Rgs, James.

Georges

Re: Small problem with Redline St

Georges-2
Hi James,

I followed the instructions in http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
quite faithfully ;-) And environment variable REDLINE_HOME is OK.

Here is the output of  "ls redline-deploy/examples/st/redline" :

ArrayTest.st Characters.st ObjectTest.st  TestSuite.st
Blocks.st IntegerTest.st Subclass.st    UndefinedObjectTest.st
BooleanTest.st NumberTest.st TestRunner.st  Web.st

I see no HelloWorld.st file. Is that normal ?

What else can I try ?

Rgds,

Georges

On Dec 29, 11:23 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Georges,
>
> Welcome. We hope you have a good experience with RL and its community.
> Have you tried following the Getting Started Guide here:
>
> http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
>
> Usually when HelloWorld.st is not found you need to export REDLINE_HOME.
> How to do this and some additional useful info is in the Getting Started
> Guide.
>
> Rgs, James.

Re: Small problem with Redline St

James Ladd
Ah - someone must have removed it.

Under st/redline/ create the file HelloWorld.st and put this content into it:

Transcript show: 'Hello world from redline smalltalk';cr.

Then run stic as per Getting Started.

I'll look into adding the Hello back.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi James,

I followed the instructions in http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
quite faithfully ;-) And environment variable REDLINE_HOME is OK.

Here is the output of  "ls redline-deploy/examples/st/redline" :

ArrayTest.st    Characters.st   ObjectTest.st  TestSuite.st
Blocks.st       IntegerTest.st  Subclass.st    UndefinedObjectTest.st
BooleanTest.st  NumberTest.st   TestRunner.st  Web.st

I see no HelloWorld.st file. Is that normal ?

What else can I try ?

Rgds,

Georges

On Dec 29, 11:23 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Georges,
>
> Welcome. We hope you have a good experience with RL and its community.
> Have you tried following the Getting Started Guide here:
>
> http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
>
> Usually when HelloWorld.st is not found you need to export REDLINE_HOME.
> How to do this and some additional useful info is in the Getting Started
> Guide.
>
> Rgs, James.

Re: Small problem with Redline St

SeanTAllen
That would have been a miscommunicate or oversight.

I was talking to James about various things in the test directory the other day.
Saying can I kill x and y. And he kept saying yes.

Oooops.

On Thursday, December 29, 2011 at 5:49 PM, James Ladd wrote:

Ah - someone must have removed it.

Under st/redline/ create the file HelloWorld.st and put this content into it:

Transcript show: 'Hello world from redline smalltalk';cr.

Then run stic as per Getting Started.

I'll look into adding the Hello back.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi James,

I followed the instructions in http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
quite faithfully ;-) And environment variable REDLINE_HOME is OK.

Here is the output of  "ls redline-deploy/examples/st/redline" :

ArrayTest.st    Characters.st   ObjectTest.st  TestSuite.st
Blocks.st       IntegerTest.st  Subclass.st    UndefinedObjectTest.st
BooleanTest.st  NumberTest.st   TestRunner.st  Web.st

I see no HelloWorld.st file. Is that normal ?

What else can I try ?

Rgds,

Georges

On Dec 29, 11:23 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Georges,
>
> Welcome. We hope you have a good experience with RL and its community.
> Have you tried following the Getting Started Guide here:
>
> http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
>
> Usually when HelloWorld.st is not found you need to export REDLINE_HOME.
> How to do this and some additional useful info is in the Getting Started
> Guide.
>
> Rgs, James.

Re: Small problem with Redline St

Georges-2
Thanks James, it works.

BTW, is it possible to open a swing window (JFrame) ?
Or to access my own Java classes (which could create a JFreme, I
guess ?

Rgds,

Georges.

On Dec 29, 11:49 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ah - someone must have removed it.
>
> Under st/redline/ create the file HelloWorld.st and put this content into
> it:
>
> Transcript show: 'Hello world from redline smalltalk';cr.
>
> Then run stic as per Getting Started.
>
> I'll look into adding the Hello back.
>

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi James,
>
> > I followed the instructions in
> >http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
> > quite faithfully ;-) And environment variable REDLINE_HOME is OK.
>
> > Here is the output of  "ls redline-deploy/examples/st/redline" :
>
> > ArrayTest.st    Characters.st   ObjectTest.st  TestSuite.st
> > Blocks.st       IntegerTest.st  Subclass.st    UndefinedObjectTest.st
> > BooleanTest.st  NumberTest.st   TestRunner.st  Web.st
>
> > I see no HelloWorld.st file. Is that normal ?
>
> > What else can I try ?
>
> > Rgds,
>
> > Georges
>
> > On Dec 29, 11:23 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Georges,
>
> > > Welcome. We hope you have a good experience with RL and its community.
> > > Have you tried following the Getting Started Guide here:
>
> > >http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
>
> > > Usually when HelloWorld.st is not found you need to export REDLINE_HOME.
> > > How to do this and some additional useful info is in the Getting Started
> > > Guide.
>
> > > Rgs, James.

Re: Small problem with Redline St

James Ladd
Absolutely it is possible to access your own classes written in Java, or any other language that
runs on the JVM. Redline supports the generation of bytecode as the implementation of a smalltalk
method. Look at Stout.st as an example, where it makes calls to Java support classes.

One of our community members brweber2_ has written a tool that takes your java code and
turns it into the Redline bytecode generation statements. This is the easiest path forward.

Should you want to try it alone, then see Smalltalk.g for the list of bytecode generation statements (line 63),
and Stout.st.

On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:38 PM, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks James, it works.

BTW, is it possible to open a swing window (JFrame) ?
Or to access my own Java classes (which could create a JFreme, I
guess ?

Rgds,

Georges.

On Dec 29, 11:49 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Ah - someone must have removed it.
>
> Under st/redline/ create the file HelloWorld.st and put this content into
> it:
>
> Transcript show: 'Hello world from redline smalltalk';cr.
>
> Then run stic as per Getting Started.
>
> I'll look into adding the Hello back.
>

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 9:46 AM, Georges <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi James,
>
> > I followed the instructions in
> >http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
> > quite faithfully ;-) And environment variable REDLINE_HOME is OK.
>
> > Here is the output of  "ls redline-deploy/examples/st/redline" :
>
> > ArrayTest.st    Characters.st   ObjectTest.st  TestSuite.st
> > Blocks.st       IntegerTest.st  Subclass.st    UndefinedObjectTest.st
> > BooleanTest.st  NumberTest.st   TestRunner.st  Web.st
>
> > I see no HelloWorld.st file. Is that normal ?
>
> > What else can I try ?
>
> > Rgds,
>
> > Georges
>
> > On Dec 29, 11:23 pm, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi Georges,
>
> > > Welcome. We hope you have a good experience with RL and its community.
> > > Have you tried following the Getting Started Guide here:
>
> > >http://www.redline.st/discover/getting-started.html
>
> > > Usually when HelloWorld.st is not found you need to export REDLINE_HOME.
> > > How to do this and some additional useful info is in the Getting Started
> > > Guide.
>
> > > Rgs, James.

Re: Small problem with Redline St

Georges-2
Thanks, James. Will do and report back. (In at least I few days. Quite
a few other things to do).
Georges