Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

Offray
Hi all,

Today and tomorrow, a small group of persons will be doing a
workshop/hackathon about Pharo and Agile Visualization at our local
hackerspace. Details on the event are on:

http://hackbo.co/hackboweb/eventos/evento/375

I will be sharing teaching materials, first impressions and questions
with you about the experience, while is happening and after that.

Thanks,

Offray

Re: Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Offray wrote
a workshop/hackathon about Pharo and Agile Visualization
I will be sharing teaching materials, first impressions and questions
with you about the experience, while is happening and after that.
Great! Can't wait to hear...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: [Moose-dev] Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

abergel
Excellente!!
Let us know how we can help

Alexandre

> Le 1 mai 2015 à 10:29, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Hi all,
>
> Today and tomorrow, a small group of persons will be doing a workshop/hackathon about Pharo and Agile Visualization at our local hackerspace. Details on the event are on:
>
> http://hackbo.co/hackboweb/eventos/evento/375
>
> I will be sharing teaching materials, first impressions and questions with you about the experience, while is happening and after that.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Offray

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

Offray
Hi,

It was a pretty good event. It went something like this:

a. We starting by presenting ourselves and our motivations to be in the
workshop/hackathon. We have people from IT technical support, political
sciences, sociology, design and myself.

b. Then we see the short video [1] "How the Internet will (one day)
transform government" then we follow with a mental map of grafoscopio
motivations and backgrounds [2] behind grafoscopio.

c. We made after that some introduction to the Smalltalk syntax and the
pharo 4 environment using the playground to execute code interactively,
introducing objects, messages and making some practical examples from
just unary and binary message in the playground with those message
between objects, sending some from the playground to the transcript (and
trying to go beyond the boring "hello world" :-P) and ending with those
keyword and cascade message which install grafoscopio.

d. We saw the interactive agile visualization book snipped draft[3] and
ran it inside grafoscopio.

The reception was very good. People liked the idea of interactive
documentation with embedded visualization instead of "making apps" and
it was a good bridge for persons with different backgrounds. I think it
sparks their imagination about a lot of possibilities which are closer
to them as "non-developers" (it happens also to myself).

Tomorrow we will start a more detailed browsing of Agile Visualization
and our Prof Stef partial tutorial as an interactive document[4] and
will end with the combination the twitter scrapper (not made on Pharo)
with data visualization on Roassal and making some changes on the
visualization of this info.

The only annoying thing was that cut/paste was not working uniformly on
all Linux machines. On some they worked with Ctrl c / Ctrl c on some
others it didn't work with Ctrl or Alt keys and we didn't know why.

I will keep you posted, but was a really good experience.

Cheers,

Offray

Links:
------

[1]
http://www.ted.com/talks/clay_shirky_how_the_internet_will_one_day_transform_government

[2]
http://mutabit.com/deltas/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/Es/Presentaciones/grafoscopio-mapa.png

[3]
http://mutabit.com/deltas/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/En/Books/AgileVisualization/agile-visualization.ston

[4]
http://mutabit.com/deltas/repos.fossil/grafoscopio/doc/tip/Docs/Es/Tutoriales/prof-stef-camiloh.ston

El 01/05/15 a las 11:24, Alexandre Bergel escribió:

> Excellente!!
> Let us know how we can help
>
> Alexandre
>

>> Le 1 mai 2015 à 10:29, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today and tomorrow, a small group of persons will be doing a workshop/hackathon about Pharo and Agile Visualization at our local hackerspace. Details on the event are on:
>>
>> http://hackbo.co/hackboweb/eventos/evento/375
>>
>> I will be sharing teaching materials, first impressions and questions with you about the experience, while is happening and after that.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Offray

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

abergel
Excellent!!!
Your event is highly relevant for the community. Share your result with us.

Alexandre

> [...]
>
>> El 01/05/15 a las 11:24, Alexandre Bergel escribió:
>> Excellente!!
>> Let us know how we can help
>>
>> Alexandre
>>

>>> Le 1 mai 2015 à 10:29, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Today and tomorrow, a small group of persons will be doing a workshop/hackathon about Pharo and Agile Visualization at our local hackerspace. Details on the event are on:
>>>
>>> http://hackbo.co/hackboweb/eventos/evento/375
>>>
>>> I will be sharing teaching materials, first impressions and questions with you about the experience, while is happening and after that.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Offray

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

Tudor Girba-2
Thanks a lot for this effort, Offray!

Please keep it up.

Cheers,
Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: [Moose-dev] Re: Small workshop/hackathon today and tomorrow about Pharo and Agile Visualization.

Offray
Thanks Doru and Alexandre. Your work has been really empowering to reach
this point and we're just at the beginning ;-). I hope to contribute
back to the community and we're planning two more intensive workshops at
May and June. All of them will use Pharo / GTTools / Grafoscopio.

By the way, to end my report all went fine yesterday. People really
liked the environment and we just made the introduction to the language
via our version of Pharo Tutorial (ProfStef), which is a grafoscopio
document that can be annotated and shared by the students.

Several ideas about where to put the focus next were the most valuable
result from this workshop (Versionner easy uploading, better fossil
integration, including installation, and diff on STON files, and support
for better HTML exportation).

We will continue the Saturday afternoons of May with our relaxed
workshops, before the intensive ones and I will keep you posted about this.

Cheers,

Offray