SmallWiki on VW : how to get it working.

SmallWiki on VW : how to get it working.

Samir Saidani
Hi,

It was quite painful to get the latest SW visualworks release working
! Takes me hours... Here was how I proceed... Maybe there is a more
straightforward way to do it, please share it if you know...

First you need an account to the scg store because you will need to
play between the scg store and VW stores to load correct dependencies.

Then :

- Load Smallwiki from Cincom Store

- Load from Cincom Store URISupport (because we need HttpURL in HTTP
  parcel)

- Then from Scg Store load Swazoo 1.5.1 (scg) and SmaCC Cincom3.1
  (scg)

- Then you have to correct the bug inside ValueWithParam>>resetParam :
  replace Struct new by Protocols.Struct new. (as far as I remember !)

- Finally SwazooServer startOn: 8080 should work.

TODO: create a correct bundle (don't know how to do it for the
moment), or Smallwiki visualworks version can be considered as
unusuable.

Samir

Re: SmallWiki on VW : how to get it working.

Lukas Renggli-2
Hi Samir,

> - Load Smallwiki from Cincom Store

what version did you use? The last one I published is known to work
at least with VisualWorks 7.1 and 7.2 and Swazoo from that time.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SmallWiki on VW : how to get it working.

Lukas Renggli-2
>> - Load Smallwiki from Cincom Store
>
> what version did you use? The last one I published is known to work
> at least with VisualWorks 7.1 and 7.2 and Swazoo from that time.

I just loaded SmallWiki 1 (0.9.51,lukas) from CincomStore into
VisualWorks 7.4 and everything worked out of the box: no need to load
extra packages, no need to fix dependencies, etc.

Ok, there was a debugger popping up sometime during loading with an
unsatisfiable dependency: I just hit proceed and it worked.

> TODO: create a correct bundle (don't know how to do it for the
> moment), or Smallwiki visualworks version can be considered as
> unusuable.

I consider it as stable ;-)

I changed the blessing level to make people aware of the debugger.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SmallWiki on VW : how to get it working.

Lukas Renggli-2
> Can you try with vw7.1 ? It doesn't work out of the box with the
> latest version (0.9.53) from CincomStore, and a user will probably
> choose the latest version...

0.9.53 doesn't work in VisualWorks 7.4 either. I don't know the
person that published those changes, there seems to be quite a lot of
changes to 0.9.51 after all.

What I also observed is that it depends on a lot of different
extension packages, that are not part of the core system. Especially
there is a dependency to a security package that is known not to work
and that overrides critical methods within the core!

I blessed 0.9.51 as released, people should use this version if they
need something stable. Afterward they can always try to load some
extensions manually, if the like.

Maybe the publishers of 0.9.52 and 0.9.53 know more what they changed
and why it is not working out of the box?

Lukas

>>> what version did you use? The last one I published is known to work
>>> at least with VisualWorks 7.1 and 7.2 and Swazoo from that time.
>>
>> I just loaded SmallWiki 1 (0.9.51,lukas) from CincomStore into
>> VisualWorks 7.4 and everything worked out of the box: no need to load
>> extra packages, no need to fix dependencies, etc.
>>
>> Ok, there was a debugger popping up sometime during loading with an
>> unsatisfiable dependency: I just hit proceed and it worked.
>>
>>> TODO: create a correct bundle (don't know how to do it for the
>>> moment), or Smallwiki visualworks version can be considered as
>>> unusuable.
>>
>> I consider it as stable ;-)
>>
>> I changed the blessing level to make people aware of the debugger.
>>
>> Lukas
>>
>> --
>> Lukas Renggli
>> http://www.lukas-renggli.ch