Smalltalk Complex

KenDickey
Coming from Scheme and Lisp, where (sqrt -4) is expected to work, I was
surprised to find it "broken" in Squeak when I first tried it out.  [Some
years ago now].

I noted Smalltalk in a list of languages implementing complex numbers;

http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Complex_numbers#Smalltalk

Unfortunately, my laptop died and is now in pieces on my desk while I try and
resurrect it.  Perhaps some kind soul will look at GNU Smalltalk's library
and see what they do.  Note that GNU Smalltalk files in a 'Complex' package
first.

Other Smalltalk examples?

Thanks much,
-KenD

-KenD

Re: Smalltalk Complex

Igor Stasenko
2009/8/14 Ken.Dickey <[hidden email]>:
> Coming from Scheme and Lisp, where (sqrt -4) is expected to work, I was
> surprised to find it "broken" in Squeak when I first tried it out.  [Some
> years ago now].

It works in Squeak. And result of
-4 sqrt
is signaling an FloatingPointException with message 'undefined if less
than zero.'.
I calling the code broken if its not follows the original design,
contains bugs and unexpected behavior (again, unexpected to original
design). But error in -4 sqrt is expected behavior. So how it can be
considered broken?

> I noted Smalltalk in a list of languages implementing complex numbers;
>
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Complex_numbers#Smalltalk
>
> Unfortunately, my laptop died and is now in pieces on my desk while I try and
> resurrect it.  Perhaps some kind soul will look at GNU Smalltalk's library
> and see what they do.  Note that GNU Smalltalk files in a 'Complex' package
> first.
>
> Other Smalltalk examples?

Ken, i welcome your willing to have a Complex numbers in Squeak.
I just pointing out that we should make certain decisions  right -
like honoring the choice of people, who
don't need to use a Complex math in their work, and moreover expecting
that regardless of Complex numbers support, in their image they could
be certain, that default behavior of a number of math functions does
not changes unexpectably after they load the Complex package.

> Thanks much,
> -KenD

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Smalltalk Complex

Igor Stasenko
Do draw a parallel..
Suppose i'm installing a brand new IPv6 protocol support on my box.
Should i completely replace all tools which working well with IPv4
and, moreover, abandon the support of IPv4 on my box since then?
Or i should expect that after installing the IPv6, all tolls which is
based on IPv4 continue to work correctly and without errors?

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Smalltalk Complex

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Very well said.

> Coming from Scheme and Lisp, where (sqrt -4) is expected to work, I
> was surprised to find it "broken" in Squeak when I first tried it out.
> [Some years ago now].

It works in Squeak. And result of
-4 sqrt
is signaling an FloatingPointException with message 'undefined if less than zero.'.
I calling the code broken if its not follows the original design, contains bugs and unexpected behavior (again, unexpected to original design). But error in -4 sqrt is expected behavior. So how it can be considered broken?

> I noted Smalltalk in a list of languages implementing complex numbers;
>
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Complex_numbers#Smalltalk
>
> Unfortunately, my laptop died and is now in pieces on my desk while I
> try and resurrect it.  Perhaps some kind soul will look at GNU
> Smalltalk's library and see what they do.  Note that GNU Smalltalk
> files in a 'Complex' package first.
>
> Other Smalltalk examples?

Ken, i welcome your willing to have a Complex numbers in Squeak.
I just pointing out that we should make certain decisions  right - like honoring the choice of people, who don't need to use a Complex math in their work, and moreover expecting that regardless of Complex numbers support, in their image they could be certain, that default behavior of a number of math functions does not changes unexpectably after they load the Complex package.

> Thanks much,
> -KenD

Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.