Smalltalk Evangelism

James Robertson-7
You'll often get people asking for Smalltalk demonstrations and information.  We have a large body of work supporting that now:

1) "Smalltalk Daily" - I've been doing a daily screencast for over a year now, and all the casts are organized by subject here:

2) Smalltalk Videos: recently, I started doing full motion screencasts.  These tend to be in the 3 minute and under range.  They are accessible three ways:

    On the Smalltalk Channel at YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8A4C6A3C8B969A12

    On the Smalltalkers group at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2435991774

3) Podcasts - we've been doing the "Industry Misinterpretations" podcast for over a year now - it comes out weekly.  We just released episode 61 this Sunday, for instance.  You can:

    Get the podcasts of the 2006 User Conference Sessions: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=userConfPodcasts

    Subscribe in iTunes (search the iTunes store for "Smalltalk", and subscribe to the podcast

    Subscribe to the RSS feed using any pod catching software: http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/blog_podcast.xml

    Get the podcasts from "Podcast Alley" - http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=39824

    Join the "Industry Misinterpretations" group at Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=5526858648

Bottom line: there's tons of good Cincom Smalltalk information out there to show people.  Feel free to ask me questions about any of it - or to give me advice about anything I should be doing differently/better

RE: Smalltalk Evangelism

Paul Baumann
Try appearances on DL.TV. A squeak demo would be nice there too. Need to raise awareness in mainstream markets. Mainstream markets know only that "Smalltalk has a loyal following"; start by telling them why. Tell them how Smalltalk provides a strategic advantage for certain types of applications.

Paul Baumann

This message may contain confidential information and is intended for specific recipients unless explicitly noted otherwise. If you have reason to believe you are not an intended recipient of this message, please delete it and notify the sender. This message may not represent the opinion of IntercontinentalExchange, Inc. (ICE), its subsidiaries or affiliates, and does not constitute a contract or guarantee. Unencrypted electronic mail is not secure and the recipient of this message is expected to provide safeguards from viruses and pursue alternate means of communication where privacy or a binding message is desired.

Re: Smalltalk Evangelism

Denis Johnson
Considering the limited numbers within our community, perhaps the IRC
channel is a little harder for the average and casual user to frequent
and try and get instant help because they need an IRC client, whereas
the following widget can be a common room across all Smalltalk sites
and is available through a browser. I suggest we setup a room, make it
known and encourage the main ST sites to include it. What do you think
?

http://www.chatopica.com/about/

cheers Denis

On Nov 13, 2007 2:31 AM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You'll often get people asking for Smalltalk demonstrations and information.
> We have a large body of work supporting that now:
>
> 1) "Smalltalk Daily" - I've been doing a daily screencast for over a year
> now, and all the casts are organized by subject here:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_daily
>
> 2) Smalltalk Videos: recently, I started doing full motion screencasts.
> These tend to be in the 3 minute and under range.  They are accessible three
> ways:
>
>     From our website:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_videos
>
>     On the Smalltalk Channel at YouTube:
> http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8A4C6A3C8B969A12
>
>     On the Smalltalkers group at Facebook:
>
> 3) Podcasts - we've been doing the "Industry Misinterpretations" podcast for
> over a year now - it comes out weekly.  We just released episode 61 this
> Sunday, for instance.  You can:
>
>     Get the podcasts online here:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=podcasts
>
>     Get the older (2006) podcasts here:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=podcasts2006
>
>     Get the podcasts of the 2006 User Conference Sessions:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=userConfPodcasts
>
>     Subscribe in iTunes (search the iTunes store for "Smalltalk", and
> subscribe to the podcast
>
>     Subscribe to the RSS feed using any pod catching software:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/blog_podcast.xml
>
>     Get the podcasts from "Podcast Alley" -
> http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=39824
>
>     Join the "Industry Misinterpretations" group at Facebook:
>

> Bottom line: there's tons of good Cincom Smalltalk information out there to
> show people.  Feel free to ask me questions about any of it - or to give me
> advice about anything I should be doing differently/better

Re: Smalltalk Evangelism

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Re: Smalltalk Evangelism

Try,

parcplace.net/irc

Cheers!

-Boris
(Sent from a BlackBerry)

Considering the limited numbers within our community, perhaps the IRC
channel is a little harder for the average and casual user to frequent
and try and get instant help because they need an IRC client, whereas
the following widget can be a common room across all Smalltalk sites
and is available through a browser. I suggest we setup a room, make it
known and encourage the main ST sites to include it. What do you think
?

http://www.chatopica.com/about/

cheers Denis

On Nov 13, 2007 2:31 AM, James Robertson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> You'll often get people asking for Smalltalk demonstrations and information.
> We have a large body of work supporting that now:
>
> 1) "Smalltalk Daily" - I've been doing a daily screencast for over a year
> now, and all the casts are organized by subject here:
>
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_daily
>
> 2) Smalltalk Videos: recently, I started doing full motion screencasts.
> These tend to be in the 3 minute and under range.  They are accessible three
> ways:
>
>     From our website:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=smalltalk_videos
>
>     On the Smalltalk Channel at YouTube:
> http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8A4C6A3C8B969A12
>
>     On the Smalltalkers group at Facebook:
>
> 3) Podcasts - we've been doing the "Industry Misinterpretations" podcast for
> over a year now - it comes out weekly.  We just released episode 61 this
> Sunday, for instance.  You can:
>
>     Get the podcasts online here:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=podcasts
>
>     Get the older (2006) podcasts here:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=podcasts2006
>
>     Get the podcasts of the 2006 User Conference Sessions:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/userblogs/cincom/blogView?content=userConfPodcasts
>
>     Subscribe in iTunes (search the iTunes store for "Smalltalk", and
> subscribe to the podcast
>
>     Subscribe to the RSS feed using any pod catching software:
> http://www.cincomsmalltalk.com/rssBlog/blog_podcast.xml
>
>     Get the podcasts from "Podcast Alley" -
> http://www.podcastalley.com/podcast_details.php?pod_id=39824
>
>     Join the "Industry Misinterpretations" group at Facebook:
>

> Bottom line: there's tons of good Cincom Smalltalk information out there to
> show people.  Feel free to ask me questions about any of it - or to give me
> advice about anything I should be doing differently/better

Re: Smalltalk Evangelism

Denis Johnson
That eliminates the need for an IRC client, however but after 15+
years in VW dev, this is the first time I was aware I could get to the
IRC channel without a client and further more, it requires login,
whereas what I suggested just comes up within the page and the user is
logged in automatically as a guest whereas frequent users and their
nick are just remembered. To see it in action see
http://www.searchcoders.com/

Anyway I thought it was quite neat, just my 2c

cheers Denis

On Nov 13, 2007 3:43 PM, Boris Popov <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Try,
>
>  parcplace.net/irc
>
>  Cheers!
>
>  -Boris
>  (Sent from a BlackBerry)

Re: Smalltalk Evangelism

Andre Schnoor
Denis Johnson wrote:
> That eliminates the need for an IRC client, however but after 15+
> years in VW dev, this is the first time I was aware I could get to the
> IRC channel without a client [...]

Me neither, because I've never used IRC in my life anyway. If the goal
is that the Smalltalk "scene" be perceived as vibrant, active and
state-of-the-art ... or even avant garde in some respect, it should stop
diluting itself by hiding in dark, cryptic places. Fragmentation doesn't
help.

IMHO, it is mandatory to aggregate as many information as possible on
well-designed web sites. I consider it possible to present the couple
hundred people involved in Smalltalk to appear as if they were taking
over the world. It's a matter of aggregation, self-reference,
self-multiplication, style and smile. Most success stories started by
making small things look big.

Andre