Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Nicolas Petton

Sean P. DeNigris writes:

> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine...

Does the page load but stays without content, or is it another issue?

Nico

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Nicolas Petton
http://nicolas-petton.fr

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
It looks like this:

Cheers,
Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

stepharo
This is why we should not have accepted to get it built in
Javascript.... because after you have to maintain.

Stef

Le 23/4/14 à 04:16, Sean P. DeNigris a écrit :

> It looks like this:
>
> <http://forum.world.st/file/n4755918/Screenshot_2014-04-22_22.png>
>

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Max Leske

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine…

For what it’s worth, this happens in Safari too from time to time. I don’t think it is browser related.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Peter Uhnak
This is why we should not have accepted to get it built in Javascript....

If you want it to be interactive, there's no choice but to use javascript… well at least until WebAssembly comes out.

What I've noticed when STHub got stuck like this for me (it happened many times in the past), is that one of the loaded resources 404ed, so the load never finished.
After I've cleaned the cache it worked fine again.

So I think this was a server problem (Zinc?) that didn't properly return files.

Peter

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine…

For what it’s worth, this happens in Safari too from time to time. I don’t think it is browser related.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

kilon.alios
Isnt WebAssembly Javascript anyway ?

I dont see how you can avoid javascript in the browser

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is why we should not have accepted to get it built in Javascript....

If you want it to be interactive, there's no choice but to use javascript… well at least until WebAssembly comes out.

What I've noticed when STHub got stuck like this for me (it happened many times in the past), is that one of the loaded resources 404ed, so the load never finished.
After I've cleaned the cache it worked fine again.

So I think this was a server problem (Zinc?) that didn't properly return files.

Peter

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine…

For what it’s worth, this happens in Safari too from time to time. I don’t think it is browser related.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

kilon.alios
ah ok i stand corrected, just google it

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:48 PM Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isnt WebAssembly Javascript anyway ?

I dont see how you can avoid javascript in the browser

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is why we should not have accepted to get it built in Javascript....

If you want it to be interactive, there's no choice but to use javascript… well at least until WebAssembly comes out.

What I've noticed when STHub got stuck like this for me (it happened many times in the past), is that one of the loaded resources 404ed, so the load never finished.
After I've cleaned the cache it worked fine again.

So I think this was a server problem (Zinc?) that didn't properly return files.

Peter

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine…

For what it’s worth, this happens in Safari too from time to time. I don’t think it is browser related.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Peter Uhnak
exactly :)

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 12:53 PM, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
ah ok i stand corrected, just google it

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 1:48 PM Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
Isnt WebAssembly Javascript anyway ?

I dont see how you can avoid javascript in the browser

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 12:36 PM Peter Uhnák <[hidden email]> wrote:
This is why we should not have accepted to get it built in Javascript....

If you want it to be interactive, there's no choice but to use javascript… well at least until WebAssembly comes out.

What I've noticed when STHub got stuck like this for me (it happened many times in the past), is that one of the loaded resources 404ed, so the load never finished.
After I've cleaned the cache it worked fine again.

So I think this was a server problem (Zinc?) that didn't properly return files.

Peter

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine…

For what it’s worth, this happens in Safari too from time to time. I don’t think it is browser related.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

stepharo

But my point is that

    - we do not need it (not a the cost to have a complete stack to maintain)

    - and for the really few palces where you need you can use Jquery!

Stef

Le 26/6/16 à 11:34, Peter Uhnák a écrit :
This is why we should not have accepted to get it built in Javascript....

If you want it to be interactive, there's no choice but to use javascript… well at least until WebAssembly comes out.

What I've noticed when STHub got stuck like this for me (it happened many times in the past), is that one of the loaded resources 404ed, so the load never finished.
After I've cleaned the cache it worked fine again.

So I think this was a server problem (Zinc?) that didn't properly return files.

Peter

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine…

For what it’s worth, this happens in Safari too from time to time. I don’t think it is browser related.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

EstebanLM
Torsten made a replacement for smalltalkhub fully on seaside+bootstrap…

honestly, I want to get rid off sthub, but I imagine it will be around for some time… so maybe we need to consider deprecate the amber client and use a full-pharo version.

Some remarks:
- I don’t know if is finished
- I know it was not compatible at voyage level, so some work needs to be done there...

Esteban

On 26 Jun 2016, at 18:33, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

But my point is that

    - we do not need it (not a the cost to have a complete stack to maintain)

    - and for the really few palces where you need you can use Jquery!

Stef

Le 26/6/16 à 11:34, Peter Uhnák a écrit :
This is why we should not have accepted to get it built in Javascript....

If you want it to be interactive, there's no choice but to use javascript… well at least until WebAssembly comes out.

What I've noticed when STHub got stuck like this for me (it happened many times in the past), is that one of the loaded resources 404ed, so the load never finished.
After I've cleaned the cache it worked fine again.

So I think this was a server problem (Zinc?) that didn't properly return files.

Peter

On Sun, Jun 26, 2016 at 10:31 AM, Max Leske <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2014, at 16:43, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email][hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I noticed sometimes sthub hangs forever on Chrome (Version 34.0.1847.116 on
> Mavericks), but if I open it alongside in Safari, it loads fine…

For what it’s worth, this happens in Safari too from time to time. I don’t think it is browser related.

Cheers,
Max

> -----
> Cheers,
> Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

stepharo
honestly, I want to get rid off sthub, but I imagine it will be around for some time… so maybe we need to consider deprecate the amber client and use a full-pharo version.

Torsten what is the state of your solution?

Some remarks:
- I don’t know if is finished
- I know it was not compatible at voyage level, so some work needs to be done there...

Esteban

On 26 Jun 2016, at 18:33, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

But my point is that

    - we do not need it (not a the cost to have a complete stack to maintain)

    - and for the really few palces where you need you can use Jquery!

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
stepharo wrote
> maybe we need to consider deprecate the amber client
> and use a full-pharo version.

Torsten what is the state of your solution?
Is it worth it to take another trip down this road of rolling-our-own source code repo? Whatever we create, we accept the responsibility to maintain, and with GitHub's social coding features, BitBucket for free private repo hosting, and all the advances in Pharo-git integration, it seems our limited resources would be most effectively committed elsewhere...
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Ben Coman
On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> stepharo wrote
>>> maybe we need to consider deprecate the amber client
>>> and use a full-pharo version.
>>
>> Torsten what is the state of your solution?
>
> Is it worth it to take another trip down this road of rolling-our-own source
> code repo? Whatever we create, we accept the responsibility to maintain, and
> with GitHub's social coding features, BitBucket for free private repo
> hosting, and all the advances in Pharo-git integration, it seems our limited
> resources would be most effectively committed elsewhere...

Jumping ahead to the end game of not needing to support development of
the repository backend ourselves,
there are a couple of levels to this...

1. Create a "SmalltalkHub" organisation on github and move *all*
repositories (maintaining privacy. Synchronize between the two servers
for a couple of years so as to not abandon old Pharo versions or break
existing Configurations, or build a thin forwarding service such that
requests received at smalltalkhub interact with github - perhaps this
is read only.    Build a thin web SmalltalkHub home page with github
pages at smalltalkhub.io.

2. While GitHub gets most of the glory, its closed source and there
are some open source git options to consider like GitLab (MIT license)
or Gerrit (Apache license).  This might be the path to choose if we
need some Smalltalk customizations like Smalltalk syntax highlighting.
The advantage of integrating with GitLab would be that the community
could use their hosted solution, but private companies could run their
own GitLab server if they have secrets they want to be more careful
about sharing with third parties.

3. We might run a GitLab/Gerrit server in place of the existing
Smalltalkhub server, and make it look the same for pre-git Pharo
clients.  There would still be some administration cost, but a larger
community for support, features and bug fixing, or paid support
options.
* https://www.linux.com/learn/how-run-your-own-git-server
* https://about.gitlab.com/applications/
* https://www.gerritcodereview.com/
* https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-plugins.html

But these considerations shouldn't stop an intermediate solution.
cheers -ben

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Dale Henrichs-3
With regards to GitLab and Metacello. A couple of years ago, I looked
into adding GitLab support to Metacello, similar to `github:\\` for
downloading repository without requiring git to be installed and found
that there were issues[1] ... Now that was in 2014 and it's possible
that GitLab has fiddled with their zip download support, but I haven't
checked ...

`github://` is convenient but if you are moving to full git support and
expect everyone to be cloning projects into local repos (by hook or by
crook) not being able to download a zip version of the project is less
of a problem ...

Dale

[1]
https://github.com/dalehenrich/metacello-work/issues/287#issuecomment-59815235

On 6/27/16 7:05 PM, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 28, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Sean P. DeNigris <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> stepharo wrote
>>> Torsten what is the state of your solution?
>> Is it worth it to take another trip down this road of rolling-our-own source
>> code repo? Whatever we create, we accept the responsibility to maintain, and
>> with GitHub's social coding features, BitBucket for free private repo
>> hosting, and all the advances in Pharo-git integration, it seems our limited
>> resources would be most effectively committed elsewhere...
> Jumping ahead to the end game of not needing to support development of
> the repository backend ourselves,
> there are a couple of levels to this...
>
> 1. Create a "SmalltalkHub" organisation on github and move *all*
> repositories (maintaining privacy. Synchronize between the two servers
> for a couple of years so as to not abandon old Pharo versions or break
> existing Configurations, or build a thin forwarding service such that
> requests received at smalltalkhub interact with github - perhaps this
> is read only.    Build a thin web SmalltalkHub home page with github
> pages at smalltalkhub.io.
>
> 2. While GitHub gets most of the glory, its closed source and there
> are some open source git options to consider like GitLab (MIT license)
> or Gerrit (Apache license).  This might be the path to choose if we
> need some Smalltalk customizations like Smalltalk syntax highlighting.
> The advantage of integrating with GitLab would be that the community
> could use their hosted solution, but private companies could run their
> own GitLab server if they have secrets they want to be more careful
> about sharing with third parties.
>
> 3. We might run a GitLab/Gerrit server in place of the existing
> Smalltalkhub server, and make it look the same for pre-git Pharo
> clients.  There would still be some administration cost, but a larger
> community for support, features and bug fixing, or paid support
> options.
> * https://www.linux.com/learn/how-run-your-own-git-server
> * https://about.gitlab.com/applications/
> * https://www.gerritcodereview.com/
> * https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/Documentation/config-plugins.html
>
> But these considerations shouldn't stop an intermediate solution.
> cheers -ben

Re: Smalltalk Hub on Chrome

Dale Henrichs-3
I just checked and it seems that GitLab has indeed changed the download
filenames to the point where I think that a `gitlab://` url for
Metacello could be supported ...

Dale