Smalltalk Security Landscape - survey for ESUG 2018

Smalltalk Security Landscape - survey for ESUG 2018

Jerry Kott-3
Dear Smalltalkers and friends,

I am planning to have a presentation titled ‘Smalltalk Security Landscape’ at this year’s ESUG conference. In my presentation I hope to increase cybersecurity awareness within the Smalltalk community and help shape the evolution of the language and its ecosystem.

I have put together a survey to help me research the topic. I ask for your kind help to get a picture of where Smalltalk stands in the area of cybersecurity. The survey is completely anonymous, and should take less than 15 minutes to complete. I appreciate your time and participation.

If you are in a management role, I would like your help by forwarding this to your team members to help reach the broad Smalltalk community.

Thank you for your help, and hope to see you in Cagliari!

Jerry Kott
This message has been digitally signed.
PGP Fingerprint:
A9181736DD2F1B6CC7CF9E51AC8514F48C0979A5

Re: Smalltalk Security Landscape - survey for ESUG 2018

Max Leske

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for doing this. I'm very interested to see what the results will look like.

  • question 13: do all attacks count (e.g. network based)? Not all are necessarily directly tied to the security of the Smalltalk environment. I assume yes.
  • question 14: what is your definition of "formal testing"? To me this sounds like program verification.
  • questions 39 / 40: by "password encryption", do you mean SSL/TLS? Or an application layer encryption? I assume SSL/TLS. -> for 40 that means every non-encrypted HTTP request that includes a password.

Cheers,
Max

On 13 Aug 2018, at 19:53, Jerry Kott wrote:

[...]

Hello, just a reminder that the survey closes on August 31st. If you missed the announcement and would like to participate, you have a lasst chance.

Thank you all who gave their time to it.