Smalltalk for engineers

Geert Claes
Administrator
James Robertson spotted this post:

http://unhandledexpression.com/2011/02/04/smalltalk-for-engineers/

I was especially interested in the statement "you don’t understand what you can/should do ..."

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

johnmci
Casual mention of iPhone port, always helpfull

On 2/4/11, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James Robertson spotted this post:
>
> http://unhandledexpression.com/2011/02/04/smalltalk-for-engineers/
>
> I was especially interested in the statement "you don’t understand what you
> can/should do ..."

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

Geoffroy Couprie
Hello,

Thanks for advertising my post :)

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James Robertson spotted this post:
>
> http://unhandledexpression.com/2011/02/04/smalltalk-for-engineers/
>
> I was especially interested in the statement "you don’t understand what you
> can/should do ..."

Well, we could make a poll to see who is bearded here...

Working with Smalltalk and Pharo has been a fun journey, and I'm still
enjoying the ride.

I especially thank Steph for introducing me to this wonderful platform!

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

Peter Hugosson-Miller
Bearded +1

Peter.

On 5 feb 2011, at 13:02, Geoffroy Couprie <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for advertising my post :)
>
> On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> James Robertson spotted this post:
>>
>> http://unhandledexpression.com/2011/02/04/smalltalk-for-engineers/
>>
>> I was especially interested in the statement "you don’t understand what you
>> can/should do ..."
>
> Well, we could make a poll to see who is bearded here...
>
> Working with Smalltalk and Pharo has been a fun journey, and I'm still
> enjoying the ride.
>
> I especially thank Steph for introducing me to this wonderful platform!

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

NorbertHartl

On 05.02.2011, at 13:02, Geoffroy Couprie wrote:

> Well, we could make a poll to see who is bearded here...

http://www.pharo-project.org/community/contributors

See yourself. The tricky thing about smalltalk and beards is that it does not mean to have a beard _on_ your face but to have it _behind_ your face and that cannot be seen in normal day light. :)

Norbert

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

Geert Claes
Administrator
Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote
Bearded +1
Bearded +1 :)

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

Dale Henrichs
Grey bearded _and_ long hair +10000:)

Dale

On Feb 5, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Geert Claes wrote:

> Peter Hugosson-Miller wrote:
>>
>> Bearded +1
>>

> Bearded +1 :)

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

Schwab,Wilhelm K
That comment requires elaboration or at least some examples of what one can/should do, but getting past that is a big hurdle in learning Smalltalk.  Things old to us can be earth shattering: something as simple as creating a new package (or even just a new class or a new class method somewhere, etc.) vs. writing a whole new program in some other language.

Casual mention of iPhone port, always helpfull

On 2/4/11, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> James Robertson spotted this post:
>
> http://unhandledexpression.com/2011/02/04/smalltalk-for-engineers/
>
> I was especially interested in the statement "you don’t understand what you
> can/should do ..."

John M. McIntosh <[hidden email]>

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

Geoffroy Couprie
That's what I was trying to express: when you already program with
another language, you can easily understand a new language, but you
have big assumptions that will slow you down. I just pointed out the
most important parts that surprised me when I learned Smalltalk.

On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 7:28 PM, Schwab,Wilhelm K <[hidden email]> wrote:

> That comment requires elaboration or at least some examples of what one can/should do, but getting past that is a big hurdle in learning Smalltalk.  Things old to us can be earth shattering: something as simple as creating a new package (or even just a new class or a new class method somewhere, etc.) vs. writing a whole new program in some other language.

Re: Smalltalk for engineers

Schwab,Wilhelm K
Fair enough.  One of my big messages to newbies is that we Smalltalkers refer to "the development tools" with no small measure of reverence, but they look austere to those from the outside.  The reason is simple: the Smalltalk tools do not need to have countless toolbars; one can simply interact directly with the objects using the compiler which "lurks just below" the workspaces in the various tools.

Welcome aboard!

Bill