Smalltalk gets a reference in fastcompany Kay interview

Smalltalk gets a reference in fastcompany Kay interview

Tim Mackinnon
Interesting (although I found slightly rambling) interview with Alan Kay about personal computing. But Smalltalk does get a link.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Smalltalk gets a reference in fastcompany Kay interview

HilaireFernandes
Thanks to share the article.

Alan Kay thought can be hard to follow, especially considering, in one
hand, his main foci are education, educating, authoring media, and in
the other hand, his audience is mainly in the computer field without
much notion about education & al.

His main vision, about computerized authoring tool to enlighten the mind
is a strong and exciting assertion. In this vision, the users will build
their own model to explore a given concept. Etoys was really what came
close to this idea, with medias you can interconnect to build
simulation, model, etc. It let you build these things more easily than
any programming tool. However I am wondering if even talented young
students or teachers can really embrace it. I know talented teachers and
I doubt they could do it with Etoys. May be Etoys was just itching the
surface of this vision.

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: Smalltalk gets a reference in fastcompany Kay interview

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Its a shame nog being able to read the article, because it is not posted in the open web and I don't have Facebook or Google to pay with my privacy for the "privilege" of reading Fast Company.

Anyway, I agree with Hilaire. It's pretty difficult to be between worlds trying to bridge education and informatics (or activisms) when one part is extremely focused in their own extreme of the bridge and the stuff at the other side is so alien.

Cheers,

Offray

Enviado desde mi dispositivo Android con K-9 Mail. Por favor, disculpa mi brevedad.

Re: Smalltalk gets a reference in fastcompany Kay interview

Holger Freyther

> On 20. Sep 2017, at 06:43, Offray <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hey!

> Its a shame nog being able to read the article, because it is not posted in the open web and I don't have Facebook or Google to pay with my privacy for the "privilege" of reading Fast Company.

sign-up by email is possible as well, probably with a one time email address? The link is below their google sign-in button.

cheers
        holger

Re: Smalltalk gets a reference in fastcompany Kay interview

Tim Mackinnon
Yes I also used the one time email link or the iPhone app as I don't use Facebook or a google login either.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 20 Sep 2017, at 02:54, Holger Freyther <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> On 20. Sep 2017, at 06:43, Offray <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hey!
>

>> Its a shame nog being able to read the article, because it is not posted in the open web and I don't have Facebook or Google to pay with my privacy for the "privilege" of reading Fast Company.
>

> sign-up by email is possible as well, probably with a one time email address? The link is below their google sign-in button.
>

> cheers
>    holger

Re: Smalltalk gets a reference in fastcompany Kay interview

Bruce O'Neel-2

I believe this is the same article:

which requires no login.

cheers