Smalltalk hosting ...

1234 ... 6

Smalltalk hosting ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Smalltalk does have open source blog and content management systems; e.g. Pier CMS and AIDAscribo  ... but a lot can be improved to make them attractive alternatives to the big Drupal (PHP) and Joomla (PHP) or even smaller ones like Radiant CMS (Ruby), Refinery CMS (Ruby), Django CMS (Python), etc

Smalltalk will get more exposure if it were easier (and cheaper) for people to host their own blog or website using a Smalltalk based Blog/CMS.

Question is; what can be done to have more Smalltalkers use a Smalltalk based blog system and attract non-Smalltalkers to try a Smalltalk CMS?

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

HwaJong Oh
I use Wiki server included in Mac OSX server.
It is more easier to make inter linked documents than with blogs.

2011. 3. 17., 저녁 6:59, Geert Claes 작성:

> Smalltalk does have open source blog and content management systems; e.g.
> http://www.piercms.com Pier CMS  and  http://www.aidaweb.si/scribo.html
> AIDAscribo   ... but a lot can be improved to make them attractive
> alternatives to the big  http://www.drupal.org Drupal (PHP)  and
> http://www.joomla.org Joomla (PHP)  or even smaller ones like
> http://radiantcms.org Radiant CMS (Ruby) ,  http://www.refinerycms.com
> Refinery CMS (Ruby) ,  http://www.django-cms.org Django CMS (Python) , etc
>
> Smalltalk will get more exposure if it were easier (and cheaper) for people
> to host their own blog or website using a Smalltalk based Blog/CMS.
>
> Question is; what can be done to have more Smalltalkers use a Smalltalk
> based blog system and attract non-Smalltalkers to try a Smalltalk CMS?

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
I don't think suggesting for people to get their own Mac OSX Server is going to be cheaper :)

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Bernat Romagosa
Regarding hosting prices, there are really cheap VPS solutions available. I've been successfully deploying apps in a VPSLink Xen slice at a cost of around 80$ a year (one slice per app), which is not much more than what many web hosting companies will charge you.

Something like that makes up for developing in a Smalltalk framework being expensive, and if the websites are simple enough, you can even run more than one in a single image.

On the other hand, I still agree that a nice, free, end-user friendly CMS, as powerful and easy to use as Drupal would be great to have and would get lots of designers and web devs to use it over other more mainstream ones. Pier is very nice, but IMO no designer (or client) will like, for example, having to learn its markup language, they will ask you for an easy to use WYSIWYG editor, an easy to plug image gallery, forum, wiki, whatever.

A designer can very easily learn how to install a Drupal/Joomla! extension, but we can't ask him to learn how to embed a Javascript rich-text editor into a Pier application... even most of us will run into several problems when trying to do that.

I'm sure we mostly agree, but who does have the time to develop something as titanic as this? :(

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Janko Mivšek
Hi Geert,

On 17. 03. 2011 10:59, Geert Claes wrote:

> Smalltalk does have open source blog and content management systems; e.g.
> http://www.piercms.com Pier CMS  and  http://www.aidaweb.si/scribo.html
> AIDAscribo   ... but a lot can be improved to make them attractive
> alternatives to the big  http://www.drupal.org Drupal (PHP)  and
> http://www.joomla.org Joomla (PHP)  or even smaller ones like
> http://radiantcms.org Radiant CMS (Ruby) ,  http://www.refinerycms.com
> Refinery CMS (Ruby) ,  http://www.django-cms.org Django CMS (Python) , etc
>
> Smalltalk will get more exposure if it were easier (and cheaper) for people
> to host their own blog or website using a Smalltalk based Blog/CMS.
>
> Question is; what can be done to have more Smalltalkers use a Smalltalk
> based blog system and attract non-Smalltalkers to try a Smalltalk CMS?

Time!

Preparing a CMS to the state of broad usefulness needs a lot of
development effort and specially a lot of a feeling for end user needs.
Both are strongly lacking in Smalltalk community IMHO.

Maybe a subquestion, which audience to start with, with CMS end users,
CMS developers, CMS something-in-between? To prepare something for
"dummies" like WordPress is certainly a lot of work...

Janko

Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

laurent laffont
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Smalltalk does have open source blog and content management systems; e.g.
http://www.piercms.com Pier CMS  and  http://www.aidaweb.si/scribo.html
AIDAscribo   ... but a lot can be improved to make them attractive
alternatives to the big  http://www.drupal.org Drupal (PHP)  and
http://www.joomla.org Joomla (PHP)  or even smaller ones like
http://radiantcms.org Radiant CMS (Ruby) ,  http://www.refinerycms.com
Refinery CMS (Ruby) ,  http://www.django-cms.org Django CMS (Python) , etc

Smalltalk will get more exposure if it were easier (and cheaper) for people
to host their own blog or website using a Smalltalk based Blog/CMS.

Question is; what can be done to have more Smalltalkers use a Smalltalk
based blog system and attract non-Smalltalkers to try a Smalltalk CMS?

Thanks to the screencast made by Damien Cassou now I use Pier and it's quite fun and easy to manage for basic stuff.

The big problem with Pier is the terrible lack of documentation, recipes, how-to's...... no marketing, no communication with user.

The public of a product like Pier is not advanced Smalltalk developers. Drupal can be managed and deployed freely by non-technical people. That's a key of success.

Laurent.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
laurent laffont wrote
The big problem with Pier is the terrible lack of documentation, recipes, how-to's...... no marketing, no communication with user.
When you say marketing what do you mean exactly because an application users want to use does its own marketing and than there is no need to do a hard sell :)

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

drush66
Having preconfigured amazon ec2 AMI with Pier correctly configured as
a blog would not hurt. And by correctly I mean really ready to go with
persistence, backups, google analyitics. And few bullet proof
tutorials how to adjust look and feel, i.e. where to poke what, and
that it works even if one does not understand what he is doing much
less can read Smalltalk code.

Of course it would be also great to have clear documentation, which
goes beyond to say that everything is a structure.

But I am afraid it is really a lot of work.

Davorin Rusevljan
http://www.cloud208.com/

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Davorin Rusevljan wrote
Having preconfigured amazon ec2 AMI with Pier correctly configured as a blog would not hurt. And by correctly I mean really ready to go with persistence, backups, google analyitics. And few bullet proof
tutorials how to adjust look and feel, i.e. where to poke what, and that it works even if one does not understand what he is doing much less can read Smalltalk code.
I think people like to know how much it will cost them and I thought AWS is more a pay-as-you-use, in that case it would be nice to be able to give an idea how much it will cost per month.  Being able to easily change the look-and-feel is certainly very important.

Davorin Rusevljan wrote
Of course it would be also great to have clear documentation, which goes beyond to say that everything is a structure.
How to use a web application - like a blog/cms - should be intuitive enough so no or minimum documentation is required (when tinckering with the internals this may be a different story)

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Ralph Johnson
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> laurent laffont wrote:

>> The big problem with Pier is the terrible lack of documentation, recipes,
>> how-to's...... no marketing, no communication with user.
>>

> When you say marketing what do you mean exactly because an application users
> want to use does its own marketing and than there is no need to do a hard
> sell :)

Marketing is NOT "hard sell".   Marketing is figuring out what
customers want and removing the things preventing them from getting
it.  it is finding the people who ought to use a product and letting
them know about it.  Marketing often means fixing the documentation,
the license, or something else non-technical.

No product can succeed without marketing.  None ever has.  Sometimes
the marketing was not done by the inventor.  Sometimes it is hard to
tell who is doing the marketing and just what they did.  But marketing
is crucial.

One of the problems with Smalltalk now is that the good marketeers
have left it.  When I heard that Dave Thomas was retiring I stood up
on the bus, which was full of Smalltalkers, and said that this was the
passing of an era, and that someone else needed to step up or
Smalltalk would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing
books like "The Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".

This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is
unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk
community.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

laurent laffont

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:16 PM, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> laurent laffont wrote:

>> The big problem with Pier is the terrible lack of documentation, recipes,
>> how-to's...... no marketing, no communication with user.
>>

> When you say marketing what do you mean exactly because an application users
> want to use does its own marketing and than there is no need to do a hard
> sell :)

Marketing is NOT "hard sell".   Marketing is figuring out what
customers want and removing the things preventing them from getting
it.  it is finding the people who ought to use a product and letting
them know about it.  Marketing often means fixing the documentation,
the license, or something else non-technical.

No product can succeed without marketing.  None ever has.  Sometimes
the marketing was not done by the inventor.  Sometimes it is hard to
tell who is doing the marketing and just what they did.  But marketing
is crucial.

One of the problems with Smalltalk now is that the good marketeers
have left it.  When I heard that Dave Thomas was retiring I stood up
on the bus, which was full of Smalltalkers, and said that this was the
passing of an era, and that someone else needed to step up or
Smalltalk would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing
books like "The Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".

This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is
unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk
community.

+ 10

Laurent.

-Ralph Johnson

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Steve Edwards

I absolutely agree with Ralph, one of the main problems with Smalltalk over the last twenty years
has been the lack of marketing of its strengths (the arrival of Java was another one!).

Steve Edwards
(Frustrated ex-Smalltalker, ex-The-Object-People, now doing Java and Ruby.)

On 17 March 2011 11:16, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> laurent laffont wrote:

>> The big problem with Pier is the terrible lack of documentation, recipes,
>> how-to's...... no marketing, no communication with user.
>>

> When you say marketing what do you mean exactly because an application users
> want to use does its own marketing and than there is no need to do a hard
> sell :)

Marketing is NOT "hard sell".   Marketing is figuring out what
customers want and removing the things preventing them from getting
it.  it is finding the people who ought to use a product and letting
them know about it.  Marketing often means fixing the documentation,
the license, or something else non-technical.

No product can succeed without marketing.  None ever has.  Sometimes
the marketing was not done by the inventor.  Sometimes it is hard to
tell who is doing the marketing and just what they did.  But marketing
is crucial.

One of the problems with Smalltalk now is that the good marketeers
have left it.  When I heard that Dave Thomas was retiring I stood up
on the bus, which was full of Smalltalkers, and said that this was the
passing of an era, and that someone else needed to step up or
Smalltalk would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing
books like "The Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".

This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is
unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk
community.

-Ralph Johnson

Steve Edwards
Escala Ltd.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Geert Claes
Administrator
Ralph Johnson wrote

> When you say marketing what do you mean exactly because an application users want to use does its
> own marketing and than there is no need to do a hard sell :)

Marketing is NOT "hard sell".   Marketing is figuring out what customers want and removing the things preventing them from getting it.  it is finding the people who ought to use a product and letting
them know about it.  Marketing often means fixing the documentation, the license, or something else non-technical.

No product can succeed without marketing.  None ever has.  Sometimes the marketing was not done by the inventor.  Sometimes it is hard to tell who is doing the marketing and just what they did.  But marketing
is crucial.
Don't get me wrong Ralph, that's exactly what I meant when I said when you have "an application users want to use" ... because this IS your market.  If you miss this ball on this one you can have all the documentation, exposure, advertising and whatever in the world, it still wont make people want your application.

Ralph Johnson wrote
One of the problems with Smalltalk now is that the good marketeers have left it.  When I heard that Dave Thomas was retiring I stood up on the bus, which was full of Smalltalkers, and said that this was the
passing of an era, and that someone else needed to step up or Smalltalk would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing books like "The Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".

This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk community.
I agree and this is where I am trying to help as well.  It is extremely important but please beware that "marketing" is not something only "marketeers" do, everyone involved is participating in marketing, starting from application's requirements/features, look-and-feel, usability, quality, cost/license, documentation, support etc ... the whole shebang :)

ps. I have actually read a couple of Malcolm's books ... Chris Anderson's Free is a good one too :)

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Reza Razavi
At 12:16 17/03/2011, Ralph Johnson wrote:
Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk.

Exact! And, in my experience, even when you have a unique and at least in theory widely applicable Smalltalk-based solution, its marketing implies often facing the lack of suitable Smalltalk marketing strategies in general, which overall makes your task really hard.

Regards
Reza Razavi
http://adaptiveobjectmodel.com/blog/
http://www.afacms.com/blog/pontoon-app/

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

NiallRoss
Dear Steve, Geert and Ralph,
    I hope you will be coming to ESUG in Edinburgh:
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2011

1) The department in Edinburgh that are hosting us do research in CMS.
This topic would be a natural one to workshop there.  Can we turn this
thread into a plan to progress this - maybe both in the preceeding
weekend's Camp Smalltalk and in the conference?

2) Yes.  I have used and ported Pier, and presented it to
non-Smalltalkers, and I have noticed that very small how-to or
clarification things could delay me and would undoubtedly affect a
non-Smalltalk user.  (Some of it was just order of presentation - the
how-to's that a non-Smalltalker wants first are not too hard to find -
if you're a Smalltalker and so can guess where to look.)  It would be
good to watch people starting to use Smalltalk's 'best-practice' web
suite and see what's slowing them.

          Yours faithfully
                Niall Ross

> Hi,
>
> I absolutely agree with Ralph, one of the main problems with Smalltalk
> over the last twenty years
> has been the lack of marketing of its strengths (the arrival of Java
> was another one!).
>
> Steve Edwards
> (Frustrated ex-Smalltalker, ex-The-Object-People, now doing Java and
> Ruby.)
>

> On 17 March 2011 11:16, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Geert Claes
>     >
>     > laurent laffont wrote:
>     >>
>     >> ...
>     >> The big problem with Pier is the terrible lack of
>     documentation, recipes,
>     >> how-to's...... no marketing, no communication with user.
>     >> ...
>     >>
>     >
>     > When you say marketing what do you mean exactly because an
>     application users
>     > want to use does its own marketing and than there is no need to
>     do a hard
>     > sell :)
>
>     Marketing is NOT "hard sell".   Marketing is figuring out what
>     customers want and removing the things preventing them from getting
>     it.  it is finding the people who ought to use a product and letting
>     them know about it.  Marketing often means fixing the documentation,
>     the license, or something else non-technical.
>
>     No product can succeed without marketing.  None ever has.  Sometimes
>     the marketing was not done by the inventor.  Sometimes it is hard to
>     tell who is doing the marketing and just what they did.  But marketing
>     is crucial.
>
>     One of the problems with Smalltalk now is that the good marketeers
>     have left it.  When I heard that Dave Thomas was retiring I stood up
>     on the bus, which was full of Smalltalkers, and said that this was the
>     passing of an era, and that someone else needed to step up or
>     Smalltalk would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing
>     books like "The Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".
>
>     This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is
>     unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk
>     community.
>
>     -Ralph Johnson

> Steve Edwards
> Escala Ltd.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Hi guys

Where were you?
Where are your bogs, books, videos, and cool Smalltalk open source projects?
I mean that this is easy to get frustrated but it is possible to do things:
        - I wrote Squeak by Example not for me but for newcomers
        - We are writing Pharo by example two for the same.
        - I wrote the Seaside book because it was important for other people (and because avi was not writing one)
        - we are pushing pharo because we want to create a good open-source smalltalk.

I came to smalltalk in 1996 when everybody left and I decided to do something. Now this is not enough but I'm not frustrated
and we are creating good energy. If people really want they can join and help or get frustrated.

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Alexandre Bergel-5
> 2) Yes.  I have used and ported Pier, and presented it to non-Smalltalkers, and I have noticed that very small how-to or clarification things could delay me and would undoubtedly affect a non-Smalltalk user.  (Some of it was just order of presentation - the how-to's that a non-Smalltalker wants first are not too hard to find - if you're a Smalltalker and so can guess where to look.)  It would be good to watch people starting to use Smalltalk's 'best-practice' web suite and see what's slowing them.

There is no need of how-to's for Pier for basic usage (e.g., editing pages, adding menus, doing internal links, adding users). It is wrong to think this is necessary. I have never read the documentation of SimpleCMS, simply there isn't and there is no need to.

Alexandre

>> Hi,
>>
>> I absolutely agree with Ralph, one of the main problems with Smalltalk over the last twenty years
>> has been the lack of marketing of its strengths (the arrival of Java was another one!).
>>
>> Steve Edwards
>> (Frustrated ex-Smalltalker, ex-The-Object-People, now doing Java and Ruby.)
>>

>> On 17 March 2011 11:16, Ralph Johnson <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>    On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 6:02 AM, Geert Claes
>>    <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    >
>>    > laurent laffont wrote:
>>    >>
>>    >> ...
>>    >> The big problem with Pier is the terrible lack of
>>    documentation, recipes,
>>    >> how-to's...... no marketing, no communication with user.
>>    >> ...
>>    >>
>>    >
>>    > When you say marketing what do you mean exactly because an
>>    application users
>>    > want to use does its own marketing and than there is no need to
>>    do a hard
>>    > sell :)
>>
>>    Marketing is NOT "hard sell".   Marketing is figuring out what
>>    customers want and removing the things preventing them from getting
>>    it.  it is finding the people who ought to use a product and letting
>>    them know about it.  Marketing often means fixing the documentation,
>>    the license, or something else non-technical.
>>
>>    No product can succeed without marketing.  None ever has.  Sometimes
>>    the marketing was not done by the inventor.  Sometimes it is hard to
>>    tell who is doing the marketing and just what they did.  But marketing
>>    is crucial.
>>
>>    One of the problems with Smalltalk now is that the good marketeers
>>    have left it.  When I heard that Dave Thomas was retiring I stood up
>>    on the bus, which was full of Smalltalkers, and said that this was the
>>    passing of an era, and that someone else needed to step up or
>>    Smalltalk would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing
>>    books like "The Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".
>>
>>    This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is
>>    unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk
>>    community.
>>
>>    -Ralph Johnson

>> --
>> Steve Edwards
>> Escala Ltd.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

laurent laffont
On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 12:47 PM, Geert Claes <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ralph Johnson wrote:

> No product can succeed without marketing.  None ever has.  Sometimes the
> marketing was not done by the inventor.  Sometimes it is hard to tell who
> is doing the marketing and just what they did.  But marketing
> is crucial.

Don't get me wrong Ralph, that's exactly what I meant when I said when you
have "an application users want to use" ... because this IS your market.  If
you miss this ball on this one you can have all the documentation, exposure,
advertising and whatever in the world, it still wont make people want your
application.

Not sure about this. Documentation, exposure and advertising attracts people. And among these people some will want to use what you have to offer.

I've just played a little with PharoCasts:
- Claire made a skin so the site looks better
- I've started a campain with google adwords (google offered me 80€ to try)

results: more visits, more Flattr and several mails from newcommers in my inbox.

This is just a little experiment but it seems it works.

Ralph Johnson wrote:

> One of the problems with Smalltalk now is that the good marketeers have
> left it.  When I heard that Dave Thomas was retiring I stood up on the
> bus, which was full of Smalltalkers, and said that this was the
> passing of an era, and that someone else needed to step up or Smalltalk
> would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing books like "The
> Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".
>
> This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is
> unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk
> community.

I agree and this is where I am trying to help as well.  It is extremely
important but please beware that "marketing" is not something only
"marketeers" do, everyone involved is participating in marketing, starting
from application's requirements/features, look-and-feel, usability, quality,
cost/license, documentation, support etc ... the whole shebang :)

I agree. world.st is nice. We need to have more people writing blogs, tweet, screencasts .... it's not hard, it's not a lot of time. If people want Smalltalk to succeed, do a small thing every day.

IMHO everyone and everyday is actually more important than big project/application. Big project is the consequence.

Laurent.

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 2:28 PM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 2) Yes.  I have used and ported Pier, and presented it to non-Smalltalkers, and I have noticed that very small how-to or clarification things could delay me and would undoubtedly affect a non-Smalltalk user.  (Some of it was just order of presentation - the how-to's that a non-Smalltalker wants first are not too hard to find - if you're a Smalltalker and so can guess where to look.)  It would be good to watch people starting to use Smalltalk's 'best-practice' web suite and see what's slowing them.

There is no need of how-to's for Pier for basic usage (e.g., editing pages, adding menus, doing internal links, adding users).

I started to use Pier after watching Damien's screencast. I've tried before but could not understand how to do => no courage to go further. May be I'm stupid, but I need them.

Laurent.

> [...]

>>    Smalltalk would falter.  More Smalltalkers need to read marketing
>>    books like "The Tipping Point" and "Crossing the Chasm".
>>
>>    This is a very important thread.  Please don't say that marketing is
>>    unimportant.   Marketing is crucial, and a weakness in the Smalltalk
>>    community.
>>
>>    -Ralph Johnson

>> --
>> Steve Edwards
>> Escala Ltd.

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: Smalltalk hosting ...

Alexandre Bergel-5
> There is no need of how-to's for Pier for basic usage (e.g., editing pages, adding menus, doing internal links, adding users).
>
> I started to use Pier after watching Damien's screencast. I've tried before but could not understand how to do => no courage to go further. May be I'm stupid, but I need them.

I am not sure you need a better external documentation for Pier basic usage. But you surely need a better and more intuitive GUI. Just better marketing as Ralph would say.

Alexandre