Smalltalk in small steps ?

jamesl
Hi All,

As some of you may know I am writing a Smalltalk for the Java Virtual Machine and it is coming along well.
http://redline.st with source on http://github.com

Recently I came across a series of blog posts by Peter Michaux on Scheme from scratch and I wondered:

Would it be worth while for the Smalltalk community, and language enthusiasts if I were to do the same with
Redline Smalltalk, that is, make each features implementation part of a blog post and a 'work along' ?

Would you like to see this and or work along with Redline ?

Rgs, James.

Re: Smalltalk in small steps ?

Igor Stasenko
On 6 December 2010 21:50, James Ladd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As some of you may know I am writing a Smalltalk for the Java Virtual
> Machine and it is coming along well.
> http://redline.st with source on http://github.com
>
> Recently I came across a series of blog posts by Peter Michaux on Scheme
> from scratch and I wondered:
>
> Would it be worth while for the Smalltalk community, and language
> enthusiasts if I were to do the same with
> Redline Smalltalk, that is, make each features implementation part of a blog
> post and a 'work along' ?

It is good for readers like me. Since you can describe the choices you
made along the road
and explain why you go that direction rather than another one.
It is always interesting reading about such things. So, please do :)

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.

Re: Smalltalk in small steps ?

csrabak
Em 06/12/2010 18:50, James Ladd < [hidden email] > escreveu:

> Hi All,

James,

>  As  some of you  may know  I am  writing a  Smalltalk for  the Java
> Virtual Machine and it is coming along well.  http://redline.st with
> source on http://github.com
>  Recently I came  across a series of blog posts  by Peter Michaux on
> Scheme from scratch and I wondered:
>  Would it be  worth while for the Smalltalk  community, and language
> enthusiasts if  I were to do  the same with  Redline Smalltalk, that
> is,  make each features  implementation part  of a  blog post  and a
> 'work along' ?

If you follow the same line than Michaux's I have to say it will be an
expenditure of resources for a very small audience indeed.  If you pay
attention to the "Prerequisites"
<quote>
This exploration is not for novice programmers. It is a tutorial introduction for novice language implementor and enthusiasts from the perspective of a novice language implementor and enthusiast.
</quote>

>  Would you like to see this and or work along with Redline ?

It is interesting to see how issues of an implementation are being
solved.  You may get some ideas and suggestions from readers of your
blog.

HTH

Cesar Rabak

Re: Smalltalk in small steps ?

Dave Mason-3
On Dec 6, 2010, at 15:50, James Ladd wrote:

> Recently I came across a series of blog posts by Peter Michaux on Scheme from scratch and I wondered:
>
> Would it be worth while for the Smalltalk community, and language enthusiasts if I were to do the same with
> Redline Smalltalk, that is, make each features implementation part of a blog post and a 'work along' ?
>
> Would you like to see this and or work along with Redline ?

I would certainly read such a blog, and comment as time permits.  Perhaps most importantly, you may find that, like literate programming, the effort to explain your decisions and implementation in prose may very well improve the code.

../Dave

Re: Smalltalk in small steps ?

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
James Ladd wrote
Would it be worth while for the Smalltalk community, and language enthusiasts if I were to do the same with
Redline Smalltalk, that is, make each features implementation part of a blog post and a 'work along' ?
I would be very interested in seeing the intention and process behind the final code.

Thanks for bringing it up!

Sean

p.s. yes, sounds very "literate programming"
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Smalltalk in small steps ?

Stefan Marr-4
Hi:

On 07 Dec 2010, at 21:51, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> James Ladd wrote:
>>
>> Would it be worth while for the Smalltalk community, and language
>> enthusiasts if I were to do the same with
>> Redline Smalltalk, that is, make each features implementation part of a
>> blog post and a 'work along' ?
>>

> I would be very interested in seeing the intention and process behind the
> final code.
Me too :)

Thanks
Stefan

--
Stefan Marr
Software Languages Lab

Re: Smalltalk in small steps ?

jamesl
>>Perhaps most importantly, you may find that, like literate programming, the effort to explain your decisions and implementation in prose may very well improve the code.

Im hoping this is the case.