Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi Friends please distribute that widely

I will give a free lecture

Discovering Smalltalk

Smalltalk is a pure and elegant object language. This lectures will cover the fundamental aspects of Smalltalk:
syntax, semantics, and key aspects of the system. Doing so we will also revise the real semantics of self/super.
We will show the power of polymorphism in action by simply learning from the system. Finally we will go into
more design aspect again based on the systems. As a bonus we will start the lecture with a 15 min presentation
of Seaside a powerful web framework for dynamic web application.

This lecture may be followed by a lecture on more advanced object-oriented design:
        law of demeter, encapsulation, multiple interface of classes, composition vs. inheritance

Starting time: 9h30
Closing: 16h00

Location: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2011/The-Venue-in-Edinburgh

Bio:  He is expert in object-oriented language design, dynamic languages, reflective programming, language semantics as well as reengineering, program analysis,
visualizations, software metrics. Recently he worked on traits, composable method groups, and this work got some impact. Traits have been introduced AmbiantTalk,
Pharo, Perl-6, PHP 5.4 and Squeak. They influenced Scala and Fortress SUN Microsystems.  Stephane is one of the developer of Pharo (http://www.pharo.project.org/)
an open-source language inspired by Smalltalk. He is one of the core developer of Moose, an open-source reengineering environment (http://moose.unibe.ch/).
He is  the president  of the European Smalltalk User Group and organize a yearly international  conference on Smalltalk. He wrote a couple of fun books to teach
programming and other serious topics such as dynamic web development (http://book.seaside.st).

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

HwaJong Oh
can i watch this via internet?

Best Regards
HwaJogn Oh

2011. 8. 14., 저녁 5:13, Stéphane Ducasse 작성:

> Hi Friends please distribute that widely
>

> I will give a free lecture
>

> Discovering Smalltalk
>
> Smalltalk is a pure and elegant object language. This lectures will cover the fundamental aspects of Smalltalk:
> syntax, semantics, and key aspects of the system. Doing so we will also revise the real semantics of self/super.
> We will show the power of polymorphism in action by simply learning from the system. Finally we will go into
> more design aspect again based on the systems. As a bonus we will start the lecture with a 15 min presentation
> of Seaside a powerful web framework for dynamic web application.
>
> This lecture may be followed by a lecture on more advanced object-oriented design:
> law of demeter, encapsulation, multiple interface of classes, composition vs. inheritance
>
> Starting time: 9h30
> Closing: 16h00
>
> Location: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2011/The-Venue-in-Edinburgh
>

> Bio:  He is expert in object-oriented language design, dynamic languages, reflective programming, language semantics as well as reengineering, program analysis,
> visualizations, software metrics. Recently he worked on traits, composable method groups, and this work got some impact. Traits have been introduced AmbiantTalk,
> Pharo, Perl-6, PHP 5.4 and Squeak. They influenced Scala and Fortress SUN Microsystems.  Stephane is one of the developer of Pharo (http://www.pharo.project.org/)
> an open-source language inspired by Smalltalk. He is one of the core developer of Moose, an open-source reengineering environment (http://moose.unibe.ch/).
> He is  the president  of the European Smalltalk User Group and organize a yearly international  conference on Smalltalk. He wrote a couple of fun books to teach
> programming and other serious topics such as dynamic web development (http://book.seaside.st).
>
> Stef

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
+1!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

I do not think so. Nothing was prepared for that, now you can get the slides (some version on my lecture web pages).

Stef
On Aug 15, 2011, at 4:49 PM, HwaJongOh wrote:

> can i watch this via internet?
>
> Best Regards
> HwaJogn Oh
>
> 2011. 8. 14., 저녁 5:13, Stéphane Ducasse 작성:
>
>> Hi Friends please distribute that widely
>>

>> I will give a free lecture
>>

>> Discovering Smalltalk
>>
>> Smalltalk is a pure and elegant object language. This lectures will cover the fundamental aspects of Smalltalk:
>> syntax, semantics, and key aspects of the system. Doing so we will also revise the real semantics of self/super.
>> We will show the power of polymorphism in action by simply learning from the system. Finally we will go into
>> more design aspect again based on the systems. As a bonus we will start the lecture with a 15 min presentation
>> of Seaside a powerful web framework for dynamic web application.
>>
>> This lecture may be followed by a lecture on more advanced object-oriented design:
>> law of demeter, encapsulation, multiple interface of classes, composition vs. inheritance
>>
>> Starting time: 9h30
>> Closing: 16h00
>>
>> Location: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2011/The-Venue-in-Edinburgh
>>

>> Bio:  He is expert in object-oriented language design, dynamic languages, reflective programming, language semantics as well as reengineering, program analysis,
>> visualizations, software metrics. Recently he worked on traits, composable method groups, and this work got some impact. Traits have been introduced AmbiantTalk,
>> Pharo, Perl-6, PHP 5.4 and Squeak. They influenced Scala and Fortress SUN Microsystems.  Stephane is one of the developer of Pharo (http://www.pharo.project.org/)
>> an open-source language inspired by Smalltalk. He is one of the core developer of Moose, an open-source reengineering environment (http://moose.unibe.ch/).
>> He is  the president  of the European Smalltalk User Group and organize a yearly international  conference on Smalltalk. He wrote a couple of fun books to teach
>> programming and other serious topics such as dynamic web development (http://book.seaside.st).
>>
>> Stef

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

jarober
Semi-related question - will the conference talks be live streamed, as they were last year?

On Aug 15, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> I do not think so. Nothing was prepared for that, now you can get the slides (some version on my lecture web pages).
>
> Stef
> On Aug 15, 2011, at 4:49 PM, HwaJongOh wrote:
>
>> can i watch this via internet?
>>
>> Best Regards
>> HwaJogn Oh
>>
>> 2011. 8. 14., 저녁 5:13, Stéphane Ducasse 작성:
>>
>>> Hi Friends please distribute that widely
>>>

>>> I will give a free lecture
>>>

>>> Discovering Smalltalk
>>>
>>> Smalltalk is a pure and elegant object language. This lectures will cover the fundamental aspects of Smalltalk:
>>> syntax, semantics, and key aspects of the system. Doing so we will also revise the real semantics of self/super.
>>> We will show the power of polymorphism in action by simply learning from the system. Finally we will go into
>>> more design aspect again based on the systems. As a bonus we will start the lecture with a 15 min presentation
>>> of Seaside a powerful web framework for dynamic web application.
>>>
>>> This lecture may be followed by a lecture on more advanced object-oriented design:
>>> law of demeter, encapsulation, multiple interface of classes, composition vs. inheritance
>>>
>>> Starting time: 9h30
>>> Closing: 16h00
>>>
>>> Location: http://www.esug.org/wiki/pier/Conferences/2011/The-Venue-in-Edinburgh
>>>

>>> Bio:  He is expert in object-oriented language design, dynamic languages, reflective programming, language semantics as well as reengineering, program analysis,
>>> visualizations, software metrics. Recently he worked on traits, composable method groups, and this work got some impact. Traits have been introduced AmbiantTalk,
>>> Pharo, Perl-6, PHP 5.4 and Squeak. They influenced Scala and Fortress SUN Microsystems.  Stephane is one of the developer of Pharo (http://www.pharo.project.org/)
>>> an open-source language inspired by Smalltalk. He is one of the core developer of Moose, an open-source reengineering environment (http://moose.unibe.ch/).
>>> He is  the president  of the European Smalltalk User Group and organize a yearly international  conference on Smalltalk. He wrote a couple of fun books to teach
>>> programming and other serious topics such as dynamic web development (http://book.seaside.st).
>>>
>>> Stef

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

NiallRoss
Dear James,
    the talks will be videoed, so they will be available later.

At the moment, there are no plans to offer live-streaming.  We had
thought about it, but someone would have to volunteer the time to
arrange and be in charge of that.

                   Yours faithfully
                         Niall Ross

James Robertson wrote:

>Semi-related question - will the conference talks be live streamed, as they were last year?
>

>On Aug 15, 2011, at 1:25 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>>I do not think so. Nothing was prepared for that, now you can get the slides (some version on my lecture web pages).
>>
>>Stef
>>On Aug 15, 2011, at 4:49 PM, HwaJongOh wrote:
>>

>>>can i watch this via internet?
>>>
>>>Best Regards
>>>HwaJogn Oh
>>>
>>>2011. 8. 14., 저녁 5:13, Stéphane Ducasse 작성:

>James Robertson
>http://www.jarober.com
>[hidden email]

>This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
>For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Juraj Kubelka-5
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Marcus Denker-4
On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Smalltalkers,
> If it is worth to do it and someone give me an introduction to management of
> live-streaming, I can be in charge of that.

Live streaming needs serious internet infrastructure... (just imagine
100 people watching at the same time).
Than there is the software side...

I am sure that last year, citilab didn't set this up in a week :-)

   Marcus

--
Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
http://www.marcusdenker.de

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Bert Freudenberg

On 16.08.2011, at 09:21, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Smalltalkers,
>> If it is worth to do it and someone give me an introduction to management of
>> live-streaming, I can be in charge of that.
>>
> Live streaming needs serious internet infrastructure... (just imagine
> 100 people watching at the same time).
> Than there is the software side...
>
> I am sure that last year, citilab didn't set this up in a week :-)

If you want to host the streaming yourself, that's true.

However, there are free broadcast services where all you need is a webcam, somewhat decent upload speed, and a web browser with Flash. It's really easy to use, and the streaming to users happens off someone else's web server.

E.g. at Squeakfest in L.A. they used justin.tv, and there was almost no setup at all:

        http://www.justin.tv/squeakland

- Bert -

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Bernat Romagosa
Yup, check out www.ustream.tv, you can even stream from a cellphone :)

2011/8/16 Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]>

On 16.08.2011, at 09:21, Marcus Denker wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Smalltalkers,
>> If it is worth to do it and someone give me an introduction to management of
>> live-streaming, I can be in charge of that.
>>
> Live streaming needs serious internet infrastructure... (just imagine
> 100 people watching at the same time).
> Than there is the software side...
>
> I am sure that last year, citilab didn't set this up in a week :-)

If you want to host the streaming yourself, that's true.

However, there are free broadcast services where all you need is a webcam, somewhat decent upload speed, and a web browser with Flash. It's really easy to use, and the streaming to users happens off someone else's web server.

E.g. at Squeakfest in L.A. they used justin.tv, and there was almost no setup at all:

       http://www.justin.tv/squeakland

- Bert -

Bernat Romagosa.

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

jarober
I'll note this: unless you have a good audio pickup, that can be pretty rough :)

On Aug 16, 2011, at 6:22 AM, Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On 16.08.2011, at 09:21, Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Smalltalkers,
>>> If it is worth to do it and someone give me an introduction to management of
>>> live-streaming, I can be in charge of that.
>>>
>> Live streaming needs serious internet infrastructure... (just imagine
>> 100 people watching at the same time).
>> Than there is the software side...
>>
>> I am sure that last year, citilab didn't set this up in a week :-)
>
> If you want to host the streaming yourself, that's true.
>
> However, there are free broadcast services where all you need is a webcam, somewhat decent upload speed, and a web browser with Flash. It's really easy to use, and the streaming to users happens off someone else's web server.
>
> E.g. at Squeakfest in L.A. they used justin.tv, and there was almost no setup at all:
>
> http://www.justin.tv/squeakland
>
> - Bert -

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

NiallRoss
Dear Juraj,
    your help with videoing the talks will be useful.

I must agree with Marcus - to set up live streaming at this point would
require someone with strong background in it, I think.  We are set up to
video the talks, and have internet, but all beyond that would be to do.

                Yours faithfully
                   Niall Ross

Marcus Denker wrote:

>On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>Hi Smalltalkers,
>>If it is worth to do it and someone give me an introduction to management of
>>live-streaming, I can be in charge of that.
>>

>Live streaming needs serious internet infrastructure... (just imagine
>100 people watching at the same time).
>Than there is the software side...
>
>I am sure that last year, citilab didn't set this up in a week :-)
>

>   Marcus
>

>--
>Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
>http://www.marcusdenker.de

>This email has been scanned by the MessageLabs Email Security System.
>For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

jarober
If someone does decide to attempt ustream (or something similar), could you guys announce it on the list?

Thanks,

On Aug 16, 2011, at 9:48 AM, Niall Ross wrote:

> Dear Juraj,
>   your help with videoing the talks will be useful.
>
> I must agree with Marcus - to set up live streaming at this point would require someone with strong background in it, I think.  We are set up to video the talks, and have internet, but all beyond that would be to do.
>
>               Yours faithfully
>                  Niall Ross
>
> Marcus Denker wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Juraj Kubelka <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Smalltalkers,
>>> If it is worth to do it and someone give me an introduction to management of
>>> live-streaming, I can be in charge of that.
>>>

>> Live streaming needs serious internet infrastructure... (just imagine
>> 100 people watching at the same time).
>> Than there is the software side...
>>
>> I am sure that last year, citilab didn't set this up in a week :-)
>>

>>  Marcus
>>

>> --
>> Marcus Denker  --  [hidden email]
>> http://www.marcusdenker.de

>> For more information please visit http://www.messagelabs.com/email ______________________________________________________________________

James Robertson
http://www.jarober.com

Re: Smalltalk lecture Saturday 20th of August at ESUG

Stephan Eggermont-3
And it requires the presentation material to be available before, so the camera can zoom onto the presenter.
Unless the presentation has been rehearsed with the cameraperson, switching between presenter and
presentation is to be avoided.

Stephan