Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

drush66
sorry to abuse pharo list, but I guess it is related enough.

Smalltalk made it to SO developer Survey. Unfortunately it did not appear in most used languages list, but it got great place as "Second most loved language"!

So for those of you who participated in the survey, it payed off.

davorin

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

CyrilFerlicot

https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017

--
Cyril Ferlicot

http://www.synectique.eu

2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

Uko2
This is really strange. Because according to the survey every 2 our of 3 participants identified Smalltalk as a language they love. However I’d say that only 1 of every 20 developers that I meet knows what Smalltalk is.

Uko

> On 24 Mar 2017, at 13:38, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 24/03/2017 13:33, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>> Thanks Davorin. Where can we look at the results?
>>

> https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017
>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Offray
>>

> --
> Cyril Ferlicot
>
> http://www.synectique.eu
>
> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

Ben Coman
From 2016... "loved" means people using the language want to keep using it.
https://techbeacon.com/highlights-stack-overflow-2016-developer-survey

So probably more like, 2 out of 3 people using Smalltalk this year
would like to / expect to be using it next year,
which seems more realistic. Notice also that Rust and Smalltalk are
absent from the "Dreaded" list.
Being on that list may downgrade the "love" of mainstream languages.

It would seem people don't use mainstream languages because they love them.
And the corollary is, that you only use a non-mainstream language if
you love it.

Keep your eye out for the raw data dump
http://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey
If we can validate where our high "loved" rating comes from,
all the above make good marketing points.

Now what might be an good marketing hack would be a live video showing...
* downloading StackOverflow survey data via Zinc,
* browsing returned data with GTInspector,
* in the debugger, creating/molding some basic classes around the data,
* graphing the data in Roassal and/or Grafoscopio
So when our target audience of "programmers" go searching ways to
analyse the data,
up comes Pharo showing them a way to do it.

cheers -ben

.

On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Yuriy Tymchuk <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This is really strange. Because according to the survey every 2 our of 3 participants identified Smalltalk as a language they love. However I’d say that only 1 of every 20 developers that I meet knows what Smalltalk is.
>
> Uko
>
>> On 24 Mar 2017, at 13:38, Cyril Ferlicot D. <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 24/03/2017 13:33, Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas wrote:
>>> Thanks Davorin. Where can we look at the results?
>>>

>> https://stackoverflow.com/insights/survey/2017
>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Offray
>>>

>> --
>> Cyril Ferlicot
>>
>> http://www.synectique.eu
>>
>> 2 rue Jacques Prévert 01,
>> 59650 Villeneuve d'ascq France

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 25/03/17 16:26, Ben Coman wrote:

> Now what might be an good marketing hack would be a live video showing...
> * downloading StackOverflow survey data via Zinc,
> * browsing returned data with GTInspector,
> * in the debugger, creating/molding some basic classes around the data,
> * graphing the data in Roassal and/or Grafoscopio
> So when our target audience of "programmers" go searching ways to
> analyse the data,
> up comes Pharo showing them a way to do it.

The analysis for this data is highly parallelizable, so
- start a dozen images
- download a 12th of the data each
- in the main image aggregate search results and visualize

Stephan

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

SergeStinckwich
Nice ! But do you have a way to automatize this process ? ;-)

Envoyé de mon iPhone

> Le 25 mars 2017 à 18:21, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> On 25/03/17 16:26, Ben Coman wrote:
>>
>> Now what might be an good marketing hack would be a live video showing...
>> * downloading StackOverflow survey data via Zinc,
>> * browsing returned data with GTInspector,
>> * in the debugger, creating/molding some basic classes around the data,
>> * graphing the data in Roassal and/or Grafoscopio
>> So when our target audience of "programmers" go searching ways to
>> analyse the data,
>> up comes Pharo showing them a way to do it.
>
> The analysis for this data is highly parallelizable, so
> - start a dozen images
> - download a 12th of the data each
> - in the main image aggregate search results and visualize
>
> Stephan

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

Stephan Eggermont-3
On 25/03/17 18:29,
[hidden email] wrote:
> Nice ! But do you have a way to automatize this process ? ;-)

How difficult can it be? We did it 18 years ago in java & delphi :)

Stephan

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

Pierce Ng-3
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 07:56:03PM +0100, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
> On 25/03/17 18:29, [hidden email] wrote:
> >Nice ! But do you have a way to automatize this process ? ;-)
> How difficult can it be? We did it 18 years ago in java & delphi :)

I was going to answer 'Hadoop!', then went to SO and saw your (Stephan's)
meta-comment on moderators who closed a question on big data in Smalltalk.
Heh.

Pierce

On 26/03/17 04:16, Pierce Ng wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 07:56:03PM +0100, Stephan Eggermont wrote:
>> On 25/03/17 18:29, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> Nice ! But do you have a way to automatize this process ? ;-)
>> How difficult can it be? We did it 18 years ago in java & delphi :)
>
> I was going to answer 'Hadoop!', then went to SO and saw your (Stephan's)
> meta-comment on moderators who closed a question on big data in Smalltalk.
> Heh.

Yeah. On SO, state you are doing big data with pharo and ask a very
specific question. On the best way to detect hanging images or so.

Stephan

Re: Smalltalk on Stack Overflow Developers Survey 2017

aglynn42
Big data, like the ‘cloud’, is mainly a marketing thing to sell big iron in big datacenters.  So if you’re going back to big iron anyway, might as well use VisualGen for COBOL.

What?  VisualGen is written in IBM Smalltalk?  Just don’t tell anyone, they’ll never guess.

Andrew

On Sun, Mar 26, 2017 at 11:43 PM, Stephan Eggermont <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 26/03/17 04:16, Pierce Ng wrote:

>>> How difficult can it be? We did it 18 years ago in java & delphi :)
>>

>> I was going to answer 'Hadoop!', then went to SO and saw your (Stephan's)
>> meta-comment on moderators who closed a question on big data in Smalltalk.
>> Heh.

bah!  what could *small*talk possibly have to do with *big* data.
go gossip somewhere else!
cheers -ben ;)