Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

askoh
Administrator
Hi:

While working on VisualWorks-Python interface, it occurred to me why not
have VisualWorks-Pharo interface too.
Has something like that been attempted? One Smalltalk dialect to Another
Smalltalk dialect interface?
What would be a good way to interface them? Master-Slave? Peer to Peer?

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

ducasse
I know that people some people ported STON to VW and used it to be able to build nice new
systems in Pharo while talking to their old software in VW.
So this is a nice way to migrate :)

Stef

> On 30 May 2019, at 12:31, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi:
>
> While working on VisualWorks-Python interface, it occurred to me why not
> have VisualWorks-Pharo interface too.
> Has something like that been attempted? One Smalltalk dialect to Another
> Smalltalk dialect interface?
> What would be a good way to interface them? Master-Slave? Peer to Peer?
>
> Thanks,
> Aik-Siong Koh
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

Dale Henrichs-3

On 5/30/19 11:09 AM, ducasse wrote:
> I know that people some people ported STON to VW and used it to be able to build nice new
> systems in Pharo while talking to their old software in VW.
> So this is a nice way to migrate :)
STON has also been ported to GemStone and likely to be ported to VA as
well ...

> Stef
>
>> On 30 May 2019, at 12:31, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi:
>>
>> While working on VisualWorks-Python interface, it occurred to me why not
>> have VisualWorks-Pharo interface too.
>> Has something like that been attempted? One Smalltalk dialect to Another
>> Smalltalk dialect interface?
>> What would be a good way to interface them? Master-Slave? Peer to Peer?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aik-Siong Koh
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

askoh
Administrator
What is the means of communication used between VW and Pharo to pass STON
files as objects?
I would like something where VW starts up Pharo and asks Pharo to do
something that is not available in VW and pass back the answers.

I think all the Smalltalk dialects should be able to call each other with
easy to attain the union of all the capabilities of Smalltalk dialects. No
need to port one dialect to another but to collaborate in execution.

Thanks for replies,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

ducasse
Hi

> What is the means of communication used between VW and Pharo to pass STON
> files as objects?
> I would like something where VW starts up Pharo and asks Pharo to do
> something that is not available in VW and pass back the answers.

So did you try to build it?

> I think all the Smalltalk dialects should be able to call each other with
> easy to attain the union of all the capabilities of Smalltalk dialects. No
> need to port one dialect to another but to collaborate in execution.

I think many things but what I do is to take the most important ones and
work on them.

You see the future is Pharo. Now what can you do to prepare your future.
Do you have tests?
Because the day where you will really want to migrate then they will be your best friends.
I decided that I will never ever program and invest in a system that is not open-source.

> Thanks for replies,
> Aik-Siong Koh
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

askoh
Administrator
How to make one Pharo image startup another Pharo image and collaborate?

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

Pharo Smalltalk Developers mailing list
We worked exactly on that problem:
https://github.com/ObjectProfile/DMirror

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Alexandre

> On Jun 5, 2019, at 1:51 PM, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> How to make one Pharo image startup another Pharo image and collaborate?
>
> Thanks,
> Aik-Siong Koh
>

> --
> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

Marcus Denker-4

 Nice, there is TaskIt, too:

https://github.com/sbragagnolo/taskit

> We worked exactly on that problem:
> https://github.com/ObjectProfile/DMirror
>
> Let us know how it goes.
>
> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>
>> On Jun 5, 2019, at 1:51 PM, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> How to make one Pharo image startup another Pharo image and collaborate?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Aik-Siong Koh
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Pharo-Smalltalk-Developers-f1294837.html

Re: Smalltalk to Smalltalk interface

Marcus Denker-4
And this:

"A Seamless / OSProcess based tool to run code in separate images."
https://github.com/pharo-contributions/ImageWorker