Smalltalk to XMI

Rob Vens-2
I am looking for a solution to export Smalltalk packages to XMI (for import into UML case tools).
Who can help me out with that?

Re: Smalltalk to XMI

Reinout Heeck-2
Rob Vens wrote:
> I am looking for a solution to export Smalltalk packages to XMI (for
> import into UML case tools).
> Who can help me out with that?

I guess Moose supports that.

Use Moose to analyze your code, it will store your code's model in its
internal FAMIX format. There should be an option to export this FAMIX
model as XMI.

Google turned up this page:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schlpbch/XMIforMoose/reportHTMLized/node2.html

HTH,

Reinout
--------

Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).

Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen rechten worden ontleend.

Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.

This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.

If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be derived from this message.

Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number 33240368.
Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

Re: Smalltalk to XMI

stéphane ducasse-2
saving to xmi does not imply that your tools will be able to load
We learned that in the process. XMI is often just use as a format but
the metamodel changes.
So the chances that you will be able to load something not saved by
the tools is low.

And it turns out that the XMI implementation in moose is a bit crappy.
But you get the rule engine and the implementation fixed some fuzzy
buggy part of this
wonderful spec.

Stef
On Jan 16, 2008, at 2:39 PM, Reinout Heeck wrote:

> Rob Vens wrote:
>> I am looking for a solution to export Smalltalk packages to XMI
>> (for import into UML case tools).
>> Who can help me out with that?
>
> I guess Moose supports that.
>
> Use Moose to analyze your code, it will store your code's model in
> its internal FAMIX format. There should be an option to export this
> FAMIX model as XMI.
>
> Google turned up this page:
> http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~schlpbch/XMIforMoose/reportHTMLized/
> node2.html
>

> HTH,
>
> Reinout
> --------

> Dit e-mailbericht is alleen bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).
>
> Gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan. Indien u niet
> degeadresseerde(n) bent wordt u verzocht de verzender hiervan op de
> hoogte te stellen en het bericht te verwijderen. Door de
> elektronische verzending kunnen aan de inhoud van dit bericht geen
> rechten worden ontleend.
>
> Soops B.V. is gevestigd te Amsterdam, Nederland, en is geregistreerd
> bij de Kamer van Koophandel onder nummer 33240368.
> Soops B.V. levert volgens de Fenit voorwaarden, gedeponeerd te Den
> Haag op 8 december 1994 onder nummer 1994/189.
>
> This e-mail message is intended to be exclusively for the addressee.
>
> If you are not the intended recipient you are kindly requested not
> to make any use whatsoever of the contents and to notify the sender
> immediately by returning this e-mail message. No rights can be
> derived from this message.
>
> Soops B.V. is a private limited liability company and has its seat
> at Amsterdam, The Netherlands and is registered with the Trade
> Registry of the Chamber of Commerce and Industry under number
> 33240368.
> Soops B.V. delivers according to the General Terms and Conditions of
> Business of Fenit, registered at The Hague, The Netherlands on
> December 8th, 1994, under number 1994/189

RE: Smalltalk to XMI

Steven Kelly
I'll second the criticism of XMI, and the high risk that one tool will not be able to read another tool's XMI properly. See here, and don't get your hopes up too high that the situation has improved since 2005:
http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView?search=xmi

A bit of lateral thinking suggests another approach: write a few lines of code to transform your Smalltalk to Java skeletons (there's a variety of static and dynamic analysis tools around to help with type inference), and then use a UML tool to reverse engineer them.

Steve

Michele Lanza
There's also a conference paper on XMI's shortcomings published a
couple of years ago, whose baseline was "XMI is not always XMI":

http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=873570

Michele

On Jan 17, 2008, at 23:05 , Steven Kelly wrote:

> I'll second the criticism of XMI, and the high risk that one tool
> will not be able to read another tool's XMI properly. See here, and
> don't get your hopes up too high that the situation has improved
> since 2005:
> http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView?search=xmi
>
> A bit of lateral thinking suggests another approach: write a few
> lines of code to transform your Smalltalk to Java skeletons
> (there's a variety of static and dynamic analysis tools around to
> help with type inference), and then use a UML tool to reverse
> engineer them.
>
> Steve

Re: Smalltalk to XMI

Rob Vens-2
any tools any of you aware of that could start me out on the approach to transform Smalltalk to Java skeletons?

2008/1/17, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]>:
I'll second the criticism of XMI, and the high risk that one tool will not be able to read another tool's XMI properly. See here, and don't get your hopes up too high that the situation has improved since 2005:
http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView?search=xmi

A bit of lateral thinking suggests another approach: write a few lines of code to transform your Smalltalk to Java skeletons (there's a variety of static and dynamic analysis tools around to help with type inference), and then use a UML tool to reverse engineer them.

Steve

Annick
You might have a look at the fresh JNIPort Joachim Geidel has published, it generates "ghost" classes for Java in Smalltalk.
Annick

Le 18 janv. 08 à 10:24, Rob Vens a écrit :

any tools any of you aware of that could start me out on the approach to transform Smalltalk to Java skeletons?

2008/1/17, Steven Kelly <[hidden email]>:
I'll second the criticism of XMI, and the high risk that one tool will not be able to read another tool's XMI properly. See here, and don't get your hopes up too high that the situation has improved since 2005:
http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView?search=xmi

A bit of lateral thinking suggests another approach: write a few lines of code to transform your Smalltalk to Java skeletons (there's a variety of static and dynamic analysis tools around to help with type inference), and then use a UML tool to reverse engineer them.

Steve

Looking at the JNIPort classes in VW I must admit I am at a loss how to generate Jave skeletons from my Smalltalk classes. The other way around, yes, or am I missing something?

2008/1/18, Annick Fron < [hidden email]>:
You might have a look at the fresh JNIPort Joachim Geidel has published, it generates "ghost" classes for Java in Smalltalk.
Annick

Le 18 janv. 08 à 10:24, Rob Vens a écrit :

any tools any of you aware of that could start me out on the approach to transform Smalltalk to Java skeletons?

2008/1/17, Steven Kelly < [hidden email]>:
I'll second the criticism of XMI, and the high risk that one tool will not be able to read another tool's XMI properly. See here, and don't get your hopes up too high that the situation has improved since 2005:

A bit of lateral thinking suggests another approach: write a few lines of code to transform your Smalltalk to Java skeletons (there's a variety of static and dynamic analysis tools around to help with type inference), and then use a UML tool to reverse engineer them.

Steve

Message
Just write methods in ClassDescription to write out a string representation of its main contents, so that it just happens to look like Java code. #nextPutAll: and #printOn: are your best friends for this. The fun bit is trying to infer what are the types of your method parameters and instance variables. The RB already does this for instance variables when creating the default comment for a class without one. I think Moose does it for methods by checking what kinds of values are actually passed, but I can't find that for sure on the Moose pages: http://moose.unibe.ch. I get the feeling Moose goes so much further that they don't even mention such basic stuff.

Steve

<A onclick="return top.js.OpenExtLink(window,event,this)" href="http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView?search=xmi" target=_blank>http://www.metacase.com/blogs/stevek/blogView?search=xmi