Smalltalk website tricks

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

     I wrote a new website for Black Page Digital, my consultancy in
Amsterdam and San Francisco. It includes SqueakJS running in a 3D CSS
viewport, kinda cute. Please check it out, pass it on, and let me know
what you think!

 http://thiscontext.com/2016/01/21/new-website-for-black-page-digital

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

re: Smalltalk website tricks

ccrraaiigg

> Does not render well on my iPad and has problems with multi touch.

     Hm, it should be ignoring multi-touch gestures. What happens? And
what rendering problems does it have? I haven't done any
browser-specific optimizations yet.

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Smalltalk website tricks

timrowledge
Interesting; I finally realised that the squeak image is on the Escher-ish pane (page?) rather than being what is producing the entire thing.

Only disconcerting bit was the warning that squeakjs was still running when I went to leave the page.

I guess it might be interesting to have live demos of squeak based apps that run on squeakjs and include a nice easy way to ‘buy’ and download a ‘proper’ vm and the image.

tim
Useful random insult:- Always responds to "Make Money Fast" postings on the Net.

re: Smalltalk website tricks

kilon.alios
It first told me close other tabs for it to load a database which was weird

I double clicked and then the interface turned 3D sidewise and i could not bring straight , also it shadow created a mouse pointer that was offset to my touch event. Touching was bringing a world menu and there was also a workspace mixed with the images

On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 at 21:31, Dimitris Chloupis <[hidden email]> wrote:
It first told me close other tabs for it to load a database which was weird

I double clicked and then the interface turned 3D sidewise and i could not bring straight , also it shadow created a mouse pointer that was offset to my touch event. Touching was bringing a world menu and there was also a workspace mixed with the images
On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 at 20:45, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Does not render well on my iPad and has problems with multi touch.

     Hm, it should be ignoring multi-touch gestures. What happens? And
what rendering problems does it have? I haven't done any
browser-specific optimizations yet.

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

re: Smalltalk website tricks

ccrraaiigg

> Only disconcerting bit was the warning that squeakjs was still
> running when I went to leave the page.

     Mm, I took that out. Also, Bert figured out how to get 2D mouse
coordinates from 3D when you're zoomed out.

> I guess it might be interesting to have live demos of squeak based
> apps that run on squeakjs and include a nice easy way to ‘buy’ and
> download a ‘proper’ vm and the image.

     Certainly!

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Smalltalk website tricks

Ken G. Brown
Tried in Chrome on OS X 10.11.4.

I get to the www site and see a bunch of overlapping 3D rectangles. Mousing over some of them, displays text. Double clicking on the displayed text goes to that page, the text is uncomfortably large on a large browser window on a 30” display.
I find that mousing over to display something is disturbing, similar to the way they have started hiding the X controls on Safari browser tabs, and also some of the available buttons in Apple Mail. I prefer to see everything so there are less surprises.

Double clicking the Informatics or other screens does not bring the proper view into visibility as might be expected, need to scroll down. All pages can be accessed by scrolling down.

Text is uncomfortably large everywhere even if browser window smaller.

Ken G. Brown

> On Jan 21, 2016, at 10:18, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Hi--
>
>     I wrote a new website for Black Page Digital, my consultancy in
> Amsterdam and San Francisco. It includes SqueakJS running in a 3D CSS
> viewport, kinda cute. Please check it out, pass it on, and let me know
> what you think!
>

> http://thiscontext.com/2016/01/21/new-website-for-black-page-digital
>

>     thanks,
>
> -C
>
> --
> Craig Latta
> Black Page Digital
> postbus 10784
> 1001ET Amsterdam, Netherlands
> [hidden email]
> +31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
> + 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

re: Smalltalk website tricks

ccrraaiigg

Hi Ken--

> Double clicking the Informatics or other screens does not bring the
> proper view into visibility as might be expected, need to scroll down.

     Mm, it zooms in at the height that was clicked. I want to make it
zoom in so that the clicked element is centered, but I can't figure that
out. window.scrollTo and window.scrollY don't seem to work as I expect.
scrollIntoView works, but some browsers don't respect its options (like
moving smoothly).

     If anyone knows the right JavaScript code to use, please let me
know. Thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

re: Smalltalk website tricks

Karl Ramberg
Hi,
I found that if I open a new window in the Squeak image it is so near the top that is is hard to move it.

Best,
Karl

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 7:50 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Ken--

> Double clicking the Informatics or other screens does not bring the
> proper view into visibility as might be expected, need to scroll down.

     Mm, it zooms in at the height that was clicked. I want to make it
zoom in so that the clicked element is centered, but I can't figure that
out. window.scrollTo and window.scrollY don't seem to work as I expect.
scrollIntoView works, but some browsers don't respect its options (like
moving smoothly).

     If anyone knows the right JavaScript code to use, please let me
know. Thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org

re: Smalltalk website tricks

ccrraaiigg

> I found that if I open a new window in the Squeak image it is so near
> the top that is is hard to move it.

     Yeah, that problem doesn't happen if the Squeak page is centered in
the browser window. That's why I'd like to know the JavaScript code to
run to center it when you zoom in.

     In the meantime, I changed Squeak's RealEstateAgent to have a more
conservative allowable area for new windows.

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Re: Smalltalk website tricks

Simon Michael
Hi Craig,

since noone has mentioned it yet: this is really slick! :)

Just need to fix the scary db upgrade alert on first visit, and the stop
the automatic zoom-out on page load.

re: Smalltalk website tricks

ccrraaiigg

Hi Simon--

> since noone has mentioned it yet: this is really slick! :)

     Thanks! :)  And thanks to Bert for making SqueakJS.

> Just need to fix the scary db upgrade alert on first visit...

     (That isn't necessary with every visiting browser.)

> ...and the stop the automatic zoom-out on page load.

     Mm, I think I like that part. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

re: Smalltalk website tricks

Bert Freudenberg
On 22.01.2016, at 23:03, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Simon--
>
>> since noone has mentioned it yet: this is really slick! :)
>
>     Thanks! :)  And thanks to Bert for making SqueakJS.
>
>> Just need to fix the scary db upgrade alert on first visit...
>
>     (That isn't necessary with every visiting browser.)
I saw that too and thought it was weird. Don’t really know why it happens. Should only happen if the IndexedDB database needs to be upgraded. But we’re still at version 1 so this should not happen.

Anyways, I demoted it to a silent warning:

https://github.com/bertfreudenberg/SqueakJS/commit/8980dcbe32cdab4d7ac4365869fec774fc9b7944

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment