SmalltalkCI gemstone on mac os sierra

GLASS mailing list
Hi,

I’m trying to run SmalltalkCI with a GemStone 3.2.15 on my mac (os sierra).
The stone startup fails with this message:

[Error]: OS error: getaddrinfo failed, EAI error 8, nodename nor servname provided, or not known,

Does anybody know a cause or solution?

thx
Johan

Re: SmalltalkCI gemstone on mac os sierra

GLASS mailing list
Johan,

If you are running with the latest update for Sierra, you should be okay
... There was an issue, but we believe that the problems were addressed
by Apple.

I think that you are having a hostname issue that is not necessarily
related to Sierra ... I'm pretty sure that the mac os has funky behavior
when setting the hostname, i.e., when you "name" your host during the
standard mac os installation/upgrade/startup process, the hostname is
hot necessarily propogated to the underlying operating system... I don't
recall all of the details, but it has to do with the fact that your
hostname is not in the file /etc/hosts and that causes a problem for
GemStone. Furthermore, it is not sufficient (on the mac only?) to simply
edit /etc/hosts. I think it is necessary to use `sudo hostname` to
properly set the hostname - but this advice may be different for Sierra(?).

I think the rule of thumb is that the name returned by `hostname` must
be present in /et/chosts for GemStone to run properly ... and I'm pretty
sure that `sudo hostname` is the incantation that guarantees that.
However, I am not running on Sierra yet:)

If `sudo hostname` doesn't work I think you'll need to Google for
properly setting hostname on Sierra.

Dale

On 03/22/2017 08:26 AM, Johan Brichau via Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m trying to run SmalltalkCI with a GemStone 3.2.15 on my mac (os sierra).
> The stone startup fails with this message:
>
> [Error]: OS error: getaddrinfo failed, EAI error 8, nodename nor servname provided, or not known,
>
> Does anybody know a cause or solution?
>
> thx
> Johan

Re: SmalltalkCI gemstone on mac os sierra

GLASS mailing list
If `sudo hostname` doesn't work and Google doesn't pay off:

   Please reattempt the startstone using
     export GEMSTONE_SOCKET_DEBUG=2
     startstone ...
   And send us the complete stone log , then we can give more detailed
advice

Dale

On 03/22/2017 11:54 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:

> Johan,
>
> If you are running with the latest update for Sierra, you should be
> okay ... There was an issue, but we believe that the problems were
> addressed by Apple.
>
> I think that you are having a hostname issue that is not necessarily
> related to Sierra ... I'm pretty sure that the mac os has funky
> behavior when setting the hostname, i.e., when you "name" your host
> during the standard mac os installation/upgrade/startup process, the
> hostname is hot necessarily propogated to the underlying operating
> system... I don't recall all of the details, but it has to do with the
> fact that your hostname is not in the file /etc/hosts and that causes
> a problem for GemStone. Furthermore, it is not sufficient (on the mac
> only?) to simply edit /etc/hosts. I think it is necessary to use `sudo
> hostname` to properly set the hostname - but this advice may be
> different for Sierra(?).
>
> I think the rule of thumb is that the name returned by `hostname` must
> be present in /et/chosts for GemStone to run properly ... and I'm
> pretty sure that `sudo hostname` is the incantation that guarantees
> that. However, I am not running on Sierra yet:)
>
> If `sudo hostname` doesn't work I think you'll need to Google for
> properly setting hostname on Sierra.
>
> Dale
>
> On 03/22/2017 08:26 AM, Johan Brichau via Glass wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’m trying to run SmalltalkCI with a GemStone 3.2.15 on my mac (os
>> sierra).
>> The stone startup fails with this message:
>>
>> [Error]: OS error: getaddrinfo failed, EAI error 8, nodename nor
>> servname provided, or not known,
>>
>> Does anybody know a cause or solution?
>>
>> thx
>> Johan

Re: SmalltalkCI gemstone on mac os sierra

GLASS mailing list
Hi Dale,

The rule of thumb is correct. I had to put a line in the /etc/hosts like this:
        127.0.0.1       Johans-MacBook-Pro.local

However, it then failed with the error messages quoted below. After creating the /opt/gemstone/locks directory myself, it worked like a charm!

thx
Johan

waitstone[Error]: Network service !#dir:/Users/jbrichau/github/smalltalkCI/_builds/2017_03_24_13_50_42/GsDevKit_home/server/stones/travis/logs#log:%N%P.log#server!travis was not found.
Network lookup failure; could not find server 'travis' on host 'Johans-MacBook-Pro.local' because file not found: /opt/gemstone/locks/travis..LCK;  service travis not found ; NetLDI service 'gs64ldi' not found on node 'localhost6' port 50377 :
connect(4,::ffff:127.0.0.1,port=50377) failed with errno=22,EINVAL, Invalid argument (programmer error)

Error]: Could not open or create the unique host id file: /opt/gemstone/locks/gemstone.hostid
[Error]: Please ensure the directory is writable and the file system is not full.
[Error]: OS error: failure after 5 retries, open(/opt/gemstone/locks/gemstone.hostid, O_CREAT | O_EXCL) failed with errno=2,ENOENT, The file or directory specified cannot be found