SmalltalkImage vs SystemDictionary

Germán Leiva
Hi,

I have a doubt ...

why in Pharo 1.0

Smalltalk class == SystemDictionary

and in Pharo 1.1

Smalltalk class == SmalltalkImage?

Looking at the issue tracker (thanks Carla):
We should make

- Smalltalk pointing to SmalltalkImage current
- have SystemDictionary only having classbindings management.
and Smalltalk globals pointing to SystemDictionary instance.

This way we finish the refactoring started long time ago.
We should have a look at the way this was done in Squeak so that we get the same
compatible for now solution.
What's involved in the refactoring started long time ago and what's the motivation for it?

Cheers
--
Germán Leiva

Re: SmalltalkImage vs SystemDictionary

Lukas Renggli
> What's involved in the refactoring started long time ago and what's the
> motivation for it?

To separate the namespace (SmalltalkDictionary) from all the image
related tasks (SmalltalkImage).

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Germán Leiva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a doubt ...
>
> why in Pharo 1.0
>
> Smalltalk class == SystemDictionary
>
> and in Pharo 1.1
>
> Smalltalk class == SmalltalkImage?

Yes this is normal

now Smalltalk globals class == SystemDictionary

>  Looking at the issue tracker (thanks Carla):
> We should make
>
> - Smalltalk pointing to SmalltalkImage current
> - have SystemDictionary only having classbindings management.
> and Smalltalk globals pointing to SystemDictionary instance.

this is done.
which entry is that?

> This way we finish the refactoring started long time ago.
> We should have a look at the way this was done in Squeak so that we get the same
> compatible for now solution.
>
> What's involved in the refactoring started long time ago and what's the motivation for it?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Germán Leiva

Re: SmalltalkImage vs SystemDictionary

Germán Leiva
I expected that but what's the reason behind that change?

The entry is http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2136
2010/6/7 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>

On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Germán Leiva wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a doubt ...
>
> why in Pharo 1.0
>
> Smalltalk class == SystemDictionary
>
> and in Pharo 1.1
>
> Smalltalk class == SmalltalkImage?

Yes this is normal

now Smalltalk globals class == SystemDictionary

>  Looking at the issue tracker (thanks Carla):
> We should make
>
> - Smalltalk pointing to SmalltalkImage current
> - have SystemDictionary only having classbindings management.
> and Smalltalk globals pointing to SystemDictionary instance.

this is done.
which entry is that?

> This way we finish the refactoring started long time ago.
> We should have a look at the way this was done in Squeak so that we get the same
> compatible for now solution.
>
> What's involved in the refactoring started long time ago and what's the motivation for it?
>
> Cheers
> --
> Germán Leiva

Germán Leiva

Re: SmalltalkImage vs SystemDictionary

Nicolas Cellier
Search in squeak-dev archive around 14 July 2009
[squeak-dev] Smalltalk vs SmalltalkImage current woes

Also in February and March 2010 in squeak-devand Pharo mailing lists.

Long, several month span, multithreaded discussions...
As I said before, it would be good to have a rationale summarized in a
wiki or somehere.

Nicolas

On Monday, June 7, 2010, Germán Leiva <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I expected that but what's the reason behind that change?
>
> The entry is http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2136
>
> 2010/6/7 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>

> On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Germán Leiva wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a doubt ...
>>
>> why in Pharo 1.0
>>
>> Smalltalk class == SystemDictionary
>>
>> and in Pharo 1.1
>>
>> Smalltalk class == SmalltalkImage?
>
> Yes this is normal
>
> now Smalltalk globals class == SystemDictionary
>
>>  Looking at the issue tracker (thanks Carla):
>> We should make
>>
>> - Smalltalk pointing to SmalltalkImage current
>> - have SystemDictionary only having classbindings management.
>> and Smalltalk globals pointing to SystemDictionary instance.
>
> this is done.
> which entry is that?
>>
>> This way we finish the refactoring started long time ago.
>> We should have a look at the way this was done in Squeak so that we get the same
>> compatible for now solution.
>>
>> What's involved in the refactoring started long time ago and what's the motivation for it?
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Germán Leiva
>> [hidden email]

> Germán Leiva

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SmalltalkImage vs SystemDictionary

Germán Leiva
2010/6/7 Nicolas Cellier <[hidden email]>
2010/6/7 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>

Thanks for the info.

Cheers

2010/6/7 Lukas Renggli <[hidden email]>
To separate the namespace (SmalltalkDictionary) from all the image
related tasks (SmalltalkImage).

On Monday, June 7, 2010, Germán Leiva <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I expected that but what's the reason behind that change?
>
> The entry is http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2136
>
> 2010/6/7 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
>

> On Jun 7, 2010, at 1:32 AM, Germán Leiva wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a doubt ...
>>
>> why in Pharo 1.0
>>
>> Smalltalk class == SystemDictionary
>>
>> and in Pharo 1.1
>>
>> Smalltalk class == SmalltalkImage?
>
> Yes this is normal
>
> now Smalltalk globals class == SystemDictionary
>
>>  Looking at the issue tracker (thanks Carla):
>> We should make
>>
>> - Smalltalk pointing to SmalltalkImage current
>> - have SystemDictionary only having classbindings management.
>> and Smalltalk globals pointing to SystemDictionary instance.
>
> this is done.
> which entry is that?
>>
>> This way we finish the refactoring started long time ago.
>> We should have a look at the way this was done in Squeak so that we get the same
>> compatible for now solution.
>>
>> What's involved in the refactoring started long time ago and what's the motivation for it?
>>
>> Cheers
>> --
>> Germán Leiva
>> [hidden email]