Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

mbratch
A couple of easy ones:

1) Does smalltalkhub.com support private projects (used, e.g., for CI)? I've seen a couple of posts on random forums dating back a couple of years indicating that it did, but when I went to create a project, I didn't see an option to make it private.

2) Is Squeaksource 3 (http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss) currently maintained? It still says "public alpha" and latest comments anywhere or submissions to their tracker are old. Who is the current owner?

Thanks
Mark

Re: Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

Peter Uhnak
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 01:06:08PM -0400, Mark Bratcher wrote:
> A couple of easy ones:
>
> 1) Does smalltalkhub.com support private projects (used, e.g., for CI)?
> I've seen a couple of posts on random forums dating back a couple of years
> indicating that it did, but when I went to create a project, I didn't see
> an option to make it private.

I don't know about sthub/ss3, but BitBucket offers free private projects, so you can use that.

Peter

Re: Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

mbratch
Yes, I know there are alternatives. SS3 actually allows private projects and I've started using it. But favor seems to be toward smalltalkhub. My question is specifically about smalltalkhub and whether private projects are possible there.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 01:06:08PM -0400, Mark Bratcher wrote:
> A couple of easy ones:
>
> 1) Does smalltalkhub.com support private projects (used, e.g., for CI)?
> I've seen a couple of posts on random forums dating back a couple of years
> indicating that it did, but when I went to create a project, I didn't see
> an option to make it private.

I don't know about sthub/ss3, but BitBucket offers free private projects, so you can use that.

Peter

Re: Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

EstebanLM
yes, they are

On 15 Jun 2016, at 20:08, Mark Bratcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I know there are alternatives. SS3 actually allows private projects and I've started using it. But favor seems to be toward smalltalkhub. My question is specifically about smalltalkhub and whether private projects are possible there.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 01:06:08PM -0400, Mark Bratcher wrote:
> A couple of easy ones:
>
> 1) Does smalltalkhub.com support private projects (used, e.g., for CI)?
> I've seen a couple of posts on random forums dating back a couple of years
> indicating that it did, but when I went to create a project, I didn't see
> an option to make it private.

I don't know about sthub/ss3, but BitBucket offers free private projects, so you can use that.

Peter

Re: Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

mbratch

Great. So how do you make a project private in sthub?

Sent from TypeApp

On Jun 15, 2016, at 2:19 PM, Esteban Lorenzano <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes, they are

On 15 Jun 2016, at 20:08, Mark Bratcher < [hidden email]> wrote:

Yes, I know there are alternatives. SS3 actually allows private projects and I've started using it. But favor seems to be toward smalltalkhub. My question is specifically about smalltalkhub and whether private projects are possible there.

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 1:42 PM, Peter Uhnak <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 01:06:08PM -0400, Mark Bratcher wrote:
> A couple of easy ones:
>
> 1) Does smalltalkhub.com support private projects (used, e.g., for CI)?
> I've seen a couple of posts on random forums dating back a couple of years
> indicating that it did, but when I went to create a project, I didn't see
> an option to make it private.

I don't know about sthub/ss3, but BitBucket offers free private projects, so you can use that.

Peter

Re: Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

Dale Henrichs-3

On 06/15/2016 10:06 AM, Mark Bratcher wrote:
A couple of easy ones:

1) Does smalltalkhub.com support private projects (used, e.g., for CI)? I've seen a couple of posts on random forums dating back a couple of years indicating that it did, but when I went to create a project, I didn't see an option to make it private.

2) Is Squeaksource 3 (http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss) currently maintained? It still says "public alpha" and latest comments anywhere or submissions to their tracker are old. Who is the current owner?
SqueakSource3 is hosted by GemTalk Systems and we continue to make daily backups and keep the system up and running.

The latest version of SqueakSource3 is being maintained by Tobias Pape and is currently in production at HPI.

SqueakSource3 is "frozen as an alpha", because the SS3 alpha was turned on a month or so before the plan to create SmalltalkHub was announced at which time I stopped development on SS3 expecting SS3 to eventually be turned off ... unfortunately SmalltalkHub was late going into production and I was asked to please start doing daily backups and make SS3 available until SmalltalkHub came on-line ... IIRC it took somewhere around a year for SmalltalkHub to come on-line and by that time it was "too late" to simply turn off SS3.

I have moved on to use Git and GitHub as a public source code repository and we at GemTalk Systems continue to run SS3 as a courtesy to the community

There have been periodic plans to either upgrade SS3 or replace SS3 with an up-to-date version of SqueakSource over the years, but the user community seems to be satisfied with the status quo and the system has been pretty stable over the years.

If volunteers step forward to drive an effort to upgrade/replace SS3 I would be completely supportive of the effort, but I don't have the cycles to lead such an effort.

Dale

Re: Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

mbratch
Thank you, Dale. That's an excellent summary and very helpful.

Right now, I've been using SS3 because it's clear how to set up. On Smalltalkhub, it's unclear to me how to make a project private, although I keep hearing it can be done. I've just not seen instruction on how to do it, and the project setup page doesn't have an option for it. SS3 also has the source browser, which is useful.

I have a github account and I'll have to look into using Git with Monticello and see how that works.

Mark

On Wed, Jun 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM, Dale Henrichs <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Does anyone know on what part of this project setup screen on smalltalkhub.com does one set the project to be "private"? I see the checkbox that determines whether it is publicly writable, but I don't see one that marks it publicly unreadable. I hear the capability exists.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/8wRN9.jpg

I'm sure it's something silly/simple and I'm just not seeing it.

Thanks

Mark

On 06/15/2016 10:06 AM, Mark Bratcher wrote:
A couple of easy ones:

1) Does smalltalkhub.com support private projects (used, e.g., for CI)? I've seen a couple of posts on random forums dating back a couple of years indicating that it did, but when I went to create a project, I didn't see an option to make it private.

2) Is Squeaksource 3 (http://ss3.gemtalksystems.com/ss) currently maintained? It still says "public alpha" and latest comments anywhere or submissions to their tracker are old. Who is the current owner?

Re: Smalltalkhub & Squeaksource3

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
mbratch wrote
My question is specifically about smalltalkhub and whether private projects
are possible there
Beware: All communication with ss3 and sthub servers is unencrypted. I've moved all private projects to BitBucket.
Cheers,
Sean

On 16 Jun 2016, at 03:42, Mark Bratcher <[hidden email]> wrote:

Does anyone know on what part of this project setup screen on smalltalkhub.com does one set the project to be "private"? I see the checkbox that determines whether it is publicly writable, but I don't see one that marks it publicly unreadable. I hear the capability exists.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/8wRN9.jpg

I'm sure it's something silly/simple and I'm just not seeing it.

yeah, simple but not evident (because capability was added in last moment).
Is in the “licence” combo box.

Esteban

Thanks

Mark