[Smalltalks 2015] --- Invitation

Andres Valloud-4
The Fundación Argentina de Smalltalk proudly invites you to one of the
premier Smalltalk conferences in the world.  Let's meet at Buenos Aires,
November 11-13!  For more details, see the invitation here:

http://www.fast.org.ar/Smalltalks2015-invitation.pdf

Re: [Smalltalks 2015] --- Invitation

Juan Vuletich-4
Thanks Andrés,

I'll be there. Maybe I'll submit a talk proposal too.

Folks, what do you think I'd tell about?
- Cuis, introduction for people who don't know much about it, recent
development and community activity, etc.
- Repeat, and add latest details to the talk I already gave about work
at Satellogic.
- Morphic 3. I'd rather not. Maybe a short "show us your project" demo,
given that there are no recent news here.
- anything else?

Cheers,
Juan Vuletich

On 8/18/2015 9:55 PM, Andres Valloud wrote:

> The Fundación Argentina de Smalltalk proudly invites you to one of the
> premier Smalltalk conferences in the world.  Let's meet at Buenos
> Aires, November 11-13!  For more details, see the invitation here:
>
> http://www.fast.org.ar/Smalltalks2015-invitation.pdf

Re: [Smalltalks 2015] --- Invitation

garduino
Hi Juan:

I think that all the mentioned topics are interesting.

I have not not much time lately to help / invest in Cuis, but if the material or part of it that I used in Smalltalks 2013 is of some utility for you, feel free to use it.

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
@garduino

[...]

Edgar De Cleene
i wish a clarification about some Cuis 4 and beyond aspects

> On Aug 24, 2015, at 10:37 AM, Juan Vuletich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks Andrés,
>
> I'll be there. Maybe I'll submit a talk proposal too.
>
> Folks, what do you think I'd tell about?
> - Cuis, introduction for people who don't know much about it, recent development and community activity, etc.
> - Repeat, and add latest details to the talk I already gave about work at Satellogic.
> - Morphic 3. I'd rather not. Maybe a short "show us your project" demo, given that there are no recent news here.
> - anything else?
>
> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 8/18/2015 9:55 PM, Andres Valloud wrote:
>> The Fundación Argentina de Smalltalk proudly invites you to one of the premier Smalltalk conferences in the world.  Let's meet at Buenos Aires, November 11-13!  For more details, see the invitation here:
>>
>> http://www.fast.org.ar/Smalltalks2015-invitation.pdf

Re: [Smalltalks 2015] --- Invitation

Phil B
On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 10:37 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Thanks Andrés,
>
> I'll be there. Maybe I'll submit a talk proposal too.
>
> Folks, what do you think I'd tell about?
> - Cuis, introduction for people who don't know much about it, recent
> development and community activity, etc.
> - Repeat, and add latest details to the talk I already gave about work
> at Satellogic.
> - Morphic 3. I'd rather not. Maybe a short "show us your project" demo,
> given that there are no recent news here.
> - anything else?

My main suggestion would be to go for new material (since your previous
talks were recorded people can watch them already and they're still
pretty relevant... maybe you could link to them from the Cuis site to
make them easier to find)  Recent developments and/or near-future plans
might be interesting for those who don't pay close attention to what's
going on with Cuis.

> Cheers,
> Juan Vuletich
>
> On 8/18/2015 9:55 PM, Andres Valloud wrote:
> > The Fundación Argentina de Smalltalk proudly invites you to one of the
> > premier Smalltalk conferences in the world.  Let's meet at Buenos
> > Aires, November 11-13!  For more details, see the invitation here:
> >
> > http://www.fast.org.ar/Smalltalks2015-invitation.pdf

Re: [Smalltalks 2015] --- Invitation

Juan Vuletich-4
Hi Folks,

On 8/25/2015 3:47 PM, Phil (list) wrote:

> On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 10:37 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
>> Thanks Andrés,
>>
>> I'll be there. Maybe I'll submit a talk proposal too.
>>
>> Folks, what do you think I'd tell about?
>> - Cuis, introduction for people who don't know much about it, recent
>> development and community activity, etc.
>> - Repeat, and add latest details to the talk I already gave about work
>> at Satellogic.
>> - Morphic 3. I'd rather not. Maybe a short "show us your project" demo,
>> given that there are no recent news here.
>> - anything else?
>>
> My main suggestion would be to go for new material (since your previous
> talks were recorded people can watch them already and they're still
> pretty relevant... maybe you could link to them from the Cuis site to
> make them easier to find)  Recent developments and/or near-future plans
> might be interesting for those who don't pay close attention to what's
> going on with Cuis.

Thanks you all for your suggestions. Please tell if you think of
something else, or more specific questions or issues to address in a talk.

Phil, the idea to link to the videos is very good. Do you (or anybody)
know how to do that? Maybe a link to youtube that already includes a
search for "Cuis Smalltalk"? Or some sort of auto-generated playlist?

Thanks,
Juan Vuletich

On Mon, 2015-08-31 at 10:01 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> On 8/25/2015 3:47 PM, Phil (list) wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-08-24 at 10:37 -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> >> Thanks Andrés,
> >>
> >> I'll be there. Maybe I'll submit a talk proposal too.
> >>
> >> Folks, what do you think I'd tell about?
> >> - Cuis, introduction for people who don't know much about it, recent
> >> development and community activity, etc.
> >> - Repeat, and add latest details to the talk I already gave about work
> >> at Satellogic.
> >> - Morphic 3. I'd rather not. Maybe a short "show us your project" demo,
> >> given that there are no recent news here.
> >> - anything else?
> >>
> > My main suggestion would be to go for new material (since your previous
> > talks were recorded people can watch them already and they're still
> > pretty relevant... maybe you could link to them from the Cuis site to
> > make them easier to find)  Recent developments and/or near-future plans
> > might be interesting for those who don't pay close attention to what's
> > going on with Cuis.
>
> Thanks you all for your suggestions. Please tell if you think of
> something else, or more specific questions or issues to address in a talk.
>
> Phil, the idea to link to the videos is very good. Do you (or anybody)
> know how to do that? Maybe a link to youtube that already includes a
> search for "Cuis Smalltalk"? Or some sort of auto-generated playlist?

There are a few different ways I can think of depending on your
preference:
1) You could create a 'videos' page on the Cuis site (this is what I was
thinking) and then create embedded players for each video.  Go to a
video you want to add, click the share link, then the embed tab to get
the html snippet.  The reason to keep this on a separate page is that
YouTube embeds aren't 'lightweight' so it would be polite to keep these
off the main page or you will probably annoy visitors and decrease
traffic to the main Cuis page.  If they click on a videos link
presumably they understand that this might be a heavier page but it is
what they want...
2) Create a YouTube playlist on your YouTube channel.  This is just a
matter of going to each video you want and click the add button and add
it to the playlist (and make sure the playlist is public).  This works
but then there is no linkage between the Cuis page and the playlist
(though you could combine this and item 1 and do an embedded playlist)
3) A YouTube search such as
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=cuis+smalltalk will 'sort
of' get you in the ballpark, but probably not what visitors will
want/expect.

Here are a couple of videos that would probably be good to add to the
list:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgIwbx-eDcI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFn4tShalUI

I seem to also recall a general English Cuis overview presentation you
did (also at a Smalltalks conf?) but can't find the link right now...