Smallwiki to Pier migration?

Colin Putney
Hi folks,

For a couple of years now, I've been using SmallWiki to power the
Monticello/OmniBrowser web site. Now that Pier seems to be stable,
I'd like to upgrade. Does anybody have advice for how to move the
wiki contents from SmallWiki to Pier?

Thanks,

Colin

Re: Smallwiki to Pier migration?

Lukas Renggli-2
Hi Colin,

> For a couple of years now, I've been using SmallWiki to power the
> Monticello/OmniBrowser web site. Now that Pier seems to be stable,
> I'd like to upgrade. Does anybody have advice for how to move the
> wiki contents from SmallWiki to Pier?

I've been already waiting for a question like this ;-)

There are no ready made solutions for that yet, but it will be quite
simple as soon as somebody did the first transformation.

The strategy I would choose:

1. Have SmallWiki 1, the Pier-Model and your data in one image.

2. Write a SmallWiki 1 visitor that walks over the old data producing
the new model. This should can be fairly simple, basically tree
methods that map:

        SWPage/SWFolder -> PRPage
        SWResource -> PRFile

While visiting the pages you parse the wiki-string of the old content
with the new parser to get the new document representation.

3. Users, Groups, Persistency have then to be converted manually.

4. Publish the code of the transformation visitor to <http://mc.lukas-
renggli.ch/pieraddons/> ;-)

Tell me if there are any problems.

Cheers,