Smart bracketing annoyance

Ben Coman

I am still coming to terms with the "smart" bracketing where pressing
the open-round-bracket key also produces a close-round-bracket, but I'm
working on adapting.  One thing that is ultra-annoying and that could be
smarter is where for instance, being new to Smalltalk, I have got my
round and square brackets mixed up preceding an ifTrue:.

So I highlight the open-round-bracket, press the open-square-bracket
expecting it to be replaced (like every other system I've dealt with)
and surprise* now I've got the original round-bracket surrounded by two
new square-brackets.  If it instead found the matching
close-round-bracket and changed both round-brackets to square-brackets,
that would be cool rather than frustrating.

The same applies to trying to correct string quotes and comment quotes.

I hope that sounds reasonable and it would nice if it could be changed.

cheers, Ben

*surprise - not good for people new to the software you are trying to
impress

Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: Smart bracketing annoyance

Lukas Renggli
For the "smart" bracketing: Either do not load eCompletion, or change
the settings in "Code browsing > eCompletion".

For the indention press Ctrl+Shift+L and Ctrl+Shift+R.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Smart bracketing annoyance

Ben Coman
Thanks Lucas. I am using the stock Pharo-1.3-13315 image and found it
under "Code Browsing > OCompletion > Smart Characters"

Although I do like the concept (I often do the same manually) I need
more control of when its occurs.  A ctrl-key combination would be
ideal.  Also whoever is packaging the next version OneClick should
consider whether its appropriate to be enabled by default for those
having their first experience with Pharo.
-Ben

Lukas Renggli wrote:

> For the "smart" bracketing: Either do not load eCompletion, or change
> the settings in "Code browsing > eCompletion".
>
> For the indention press Ctrl+Shift+L and Ctrl+Shift+R.
>
> Lukas
>
> On 7 January 2012 09:29, Milan Mimica <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I'll just hijack here: I also wouldn't be totally uncool if you could select
>> a block of code an press (shift-)tab to (un)ident it. Basic stuff really.
>>

>> On 7 January 2012 05:32, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I am still coming to terms with the "smart" bracketing where pressing the
>>> open-round-bracket key also produces a close-round-bracket, but I'm working
>>> on adapting.  One thing that is ultra-annoying and that could be smarter is
>>> where for instance, being new to Smalltalk, I have got my round and square
>>> brackets mixed up preceding an ifTrue:.
>>>
>>> So I highlight the open-round-bracket, press the open-square-bracket
>>> expecting it to be replaced (like every other system I've dealt with) and
>>> surprise* now I've got the original round-bracket surrounded by two new
>>> square-brackets.  If it instead found the matching close-round-bracket and
>>> changed both round-brackets to square-brackets, that would be cool rather
>>> than frustrating.
>>>
>>> The same applies to trying to correct string quotes and comment quotes.
>>>
>>> I hope that sounds reasonable and it would nice if it could be changed.
>>>
>>> cheers, Ben
>>>
>>> *surprise - not good for people new to the software you are trying to
>>> impress
>>>

>> --
>> Milan Mimica
>> http://sparklet.sf.net

Re: Smart bracketing annoyance

Janko Mivšek
I would also disable eCompletition in Settings by default until it works
smart enough, which currently not. I agree with Ben here and I also
disable it immediatelly.

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek