SmartBreakpoints alpha release

Clara Allende
Hi guys!
Finally the metaLink-based breakpoints are "ready". I have made some explanations on my blog, but basically now you have the option "break here" in SmartSuggestions menu.
So it's still experimental, and even though I have some tests, it would be nice if you can test it, because I can't cover all possible use cases :)
And any feedback is most appreciated!

Specially, since eventually we will have several kinds of breakpoints, I would like to ask in which way would you like to choose them (a pop menu? a sublist?)

Thanks in advance!

PS: The script for downloading the code is in the blog post :P
PS2: After talking with Anne and Baptiste, things that are not there yet but I want to have:
* a highlight on the method/messageSend where the breakpoint is inserted
* expose persistent breakpoints (it is there but the default is to halt once)
* line breakpoints (not sure when, for now the breakpoints are AST based)
* integration with TextEditor, once it is done ;)
* hide breakpoint-api contexts in the debugger stack

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

Marcus Denker-4

On 22 Jul 2014, at 10:41, Clara Allende <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi guys!
Finally the metaLink-based breakpoints are "ready". I have made some explanations on my blog, but basically now you have the option "break here" in SmartSuggestions menu.
So it's still experimental, and even though I have some tests, it would be nice if you can test it, because I can't cover all possible use cases :)
And any feedback is most appreciated!

Very nice… as this is based on the Link/Metaobject model, we will later be able to put BreakPoints (and Watchpoints) not only on a single variable access in a method, but on
the Varaible itself. “break when you store next time into this variable”, for example.

Marcus

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

stepharo

On 22/7/14 10:41, Clara Allende wrote:
[...]

Can you grab igor and sit with him to get this point?

On 22 Jul 2014, at 13:57, stepharo <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Another idea would be to use the editor in Moose (Rubrik?).
Better a solution now than to wait forever for perfection…

Marcus

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

Nicolai Hess
The current version from
Gofer it
    smalltalkhubUser: 'ClaraAllende' project: 'SmartBreakpoints';
    configurationOf: 'SmartBreakpoints';
    loadStable .

raises some deprecation warnings and missing classOrMetaClass selector with pharo 40111
can you put a link on your blog for a working pharo 4.0 image?

[...]

Weird, I tried loading it in 40111 and it was working.
Was it a fresh image?

[...]

Yes,
the deprecation warning is:
ToolRegistry>>userManager has been deprecated.

[...]

Tudor Girba-2
First of all: Excellent job!

About the editor: I would indeed suggest adopting Rubric as a solution for now (until the new Text widget comes around). We use it extensively in GT and I can attest that it is better than PluggableTextMorph.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

Clara Allende
Ok, same that I did :)

So I've spotted this one: I was using an old version of Spec-Debugger, which uses a deprecated method.
Can you try again now? I've just commited the fix and updated the configuration.

Thanks again :D

[...]

Yes, this works now.

But I just found out, that a methods version list is empty after adding a break point.
Just go to  a method (for example FileList>>initialize). Show the version of this methdo.
Add a break point.
Now the version list is empty.

[...]

Wow :O
Ok, I will investigate it.

[...]

Fixed!

Thanks for the feedback (and for spotting my bugs ^^)

[...]

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Clara Allende wrote
Finally the metaLink-based breakpoints are "ready"...
All sounds very exciting! Thank you!!
Cheers,
Sean

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

stepharo

Can you grab igor and sit with him to get this point?
Another idea would be to use the editor in Moose (Rubrik?).
Better a solution now than to wait forever for perfection…

We can also abandon TxText but after we should not cry that it does not scale (be prepared
to fork a lot of processes in the background). But I think that it would be stupid so we should push igor to deliver.
And if I'm alone pushing then this is not fun.

Have a look at TxViewContainer example2

Stef

Marcus

On 22/7/14 14:43, Tudor Girba wrote:
First of all: Excellent job!

About the editor: I would indeed suggest adopting Rubric as a solution for now (until the new Text widget comes around). We use it extensively in GT and I can attest that it is better than PluggableTextMorph.

doru did you loaded TxText?
and TxViewContainer example2

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

Tudor Girba-2
Hi,

Not yet :(. It's the first thing after releasing the current implementation of GT and Moose.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

Tudor Girba-2
Just a point. We should definitely not throw away TxText :).

My message was that we should stop investing in the TextMorph. I suggested Rubric because it is available now and can be integrated with visible improvements over what exists.

But, TxText should be the future. Perhaps we can already commit to it for Pharo 4.0 and then we make it a goal for the whole community to get it finished. I would be supportive for such a decision.

Doru

"Every thing has its own flow"

Re: SmartBreakpoints alpha release

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
Tudor Girba-2 wrote
TxText should be the future. Perhaps we can... make it a goal for the whole community to get it
finished
+100. This is really important and doesn't seem fair/effective/safe to put it all on one person's shoulders - even someone as good as Igor ;) Plus we have gotten burned in the past by relying on one smart person...
Cheers,
Sean