Smooth animation in Dolphin, anyone?

Günther Schmidt
Hi,

I wonder if anybody would care to produce a smooth animation in Dolphin
Smalltalk, something like SlidingBalls, just smooth.

I certainly have tried and failed, and now I noticed that even OAs own
example isn't really smooth.

So I'm not sure it's possible, in any case I wasn't able to produce it.

So I'm asking if anybody would care to provide a sample of a smooth
animation.

Günther

Re: Smooth animation in Dolphin, anyone?

Andy Bower-3
Günther,

> I wonder if anybody would care to produce a smooth animation in
> Dolphin Smalltalk, something like SlidingBalls, just smooth.
>
> I certainly have tried and failed, and now I noticed that even OAs
> own example isn't really smooth.
>
> So I'm not sure it's possible, in any case I wasn't able to produce
> it.
>
> So I'm asking if anybody would care to provide a sample of a smooth
> animation.

Have you looked at Dalektron (www.dalektron.org)?

The bouncing balls example works by painting the sprites onto a double
buffered bitmap and then blitting this onto a window canvas. Since the
Windows GDI was never intended to produce fast animation this can
result in rather poor frame rates (although much will depend on the PC
speed and graphics card). This is the reason why MS created DirectX so
it would seem sensible to use that if you want better animation in
Dolphin.

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Smooth animation in Dolphin, anyone?

Steve Taylor-2
Andy Bower wrote:

> Have you looked at Dalektron (www.dalektron.org)?

I hadn't realised Dalektron used DirectX - that should make it an
invaluable example for games in Dolphin - and after all, what are
computers for, if not for games?

I just installed Dalektron from http://www.dalektron.org, and tried to
load the various .pac files into my copy of Dolphin 6, in the following
order:

DirectX.pac
DirectShow.pac
DirectDraw7.pac
Dalektron.pac

When trying to load Dalektron.pac, I was asked to open the prerequisite
package 'SW Additions' - which I can't find anywhere. Likewise 'SW
HTTPClient'.

Am I missing something here, or are there extra packages needed?

                      Steve

Re: Smooth animation in Dolphin, anyone?

Udo Schneider
Steve Taylor wrote:
> When trying to load Dalektron.pac, I was asked to open the prerequisite
> package 'SW Additions' - which I can't find anywhere. Likewise 'SW
> HTTPClient'.
>
> Am I missing something here, or are there extra packages needed?
You'll need some of Steve Waring's Goodies. Take a look here:
http://www.dolphinharbor.org/dh/index.html.

CU,

Udo

Re: Smooth animation in Dolphin, anyone?

Andy Bower-3
Steve,

> When trying to load Dalektron.pac, I was asked to open the
> prerequisite package 'SW Additions' - which I can't find anywhere.
> Likewise 'SW HTTPClient'.
>
> Am I missing something here, or are there extra packages needed?

You need Steve Waring's goodie packages. The X6 versions have been
zipped up and can be downloaded from here:

http://www.object-arts.com/downloads/6.0/steve%20waring.zip.

Best regards,

--
Andy Bower
Dolphin Support

Re: Smooth animation in Dolphin, anyone?

Steve Taylor-2
thanks Udo, Andy - will do

                   Steve