So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

12

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Alexandre Bergel
I will tell you probably today or tomorrow.

Alexandre

On 18 May 2010, at 04:46, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Alex
>
> Can you tell me the french time of the sprint because I would like to help people focusing on
> some good fixes to produce
> I want to try to be online.
>
> Stef
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 2:49 AM, Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Mariano, Stef, Adrian,
>>
>> I would like to focus the Pharo sprint this week end on helping Pharo 1.1.
>> In addition to reviewing and fixing the issues tagged as 1.1, are there some particular actions you want to see realized this Saturday?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

>>> I will go over some this week.
>>>
>>> Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Geert Claes
Administrator
Adrian Lienhard wrote
One thing that bothers me is the network code. Although nobody reported problems I cannot believe that it suddenly works without that we fixed it. The new implementation that is in 1.1 has been reverted in 1.0 and since then we haven't had any complaints. Now in 1.1 I guess that there are not that many people using it yet.
I can't seem to connect using a proxy server with network authentication.  I have now successfully saved the HTTP proxy server and port number as well as the user name and password.  I am using 1.1 using the new Settings browser and updated the settings in "MyOwn" settings style, but I don't think it is actually using those settings?

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Alexandre Bergel
Hi Adrian,

> One thing that bothers me is the network code. Although nobody reported problems I cannot believe that it suddenly works without that we fixed it. The new implementation that is in 1.1 has been reverted in 1.0 and since then we haven't had any complaints. Now in 1.1 I guess that there are not that many people using it yet.
>
> If there are people at the sprint with different OS and configurations (Linux vs Mac; IPv4 vs. IPv6), you could try to reproduce the problems that were reported earlier (check the issue tracker).

I haven't closely followed this issue since I haven't experienced any problem in 1.1 (the only activity related to Network I do is using Monticello).
The network issue you're referring to is
http://forum.world.st/NetNameResolver-in-Pharo-1-1-td2136239.html#a2136239
isn't it?

Looking for 'Network' in the list of open issues return 7 issues. The only important one is
Is it decided to rollback networking? I enjoy the progress bar when accessing networks.

> Another valuable help would be to (manually) test the tools, especially the ones loaded into Pharo to make sure we don't have any obvious problems there.

By tools, you mean the one that get loaded with ConfigurationOfPharo ?

Cheers,
Alexandre

> Hope you have a productive weekend!
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 02:49 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Mariano, Stef, Adrian,
>>
>> I would like to focus the Pharo sprint this week end on helping Pharo 1.1.
>> In addition to reviewing and fixing the issues tagged as 1.1, are there some particular actions you want to see realized this Saturday?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

>>> I will go over some this week.
>>>
>>> Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Adrian Lienhard
On May 18, 2010, at 10:49 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:

> Hi Adrian,
>
>> One thing that bothers me is the network code. Although nobody reported problems I cannot believe that it suddenly works without that we fixed it. The new implementation that is in 1.1 has been reverted in 1.0 and since then we haven't had any complaints. Now in 1.1 I guess that there are not that many people using it yet.
>>
>> If there are people at the sprint with different OS and configurations (Linux vs Mac; IPv4 vs. IPv6), you could try to reproduce the problems that were reported earlier (check the issue tracker).
>
> I haven't closely followed this issue since I haven't experienced any problem in 1.1 (the only activity related to Network I do is using Monticello).
> The network issue you're referring to is
> http://forum.world.st/NetNameResolver-in-Pharo-1-1-td2136239.html#a2136239
> isn't it?

IIRC the main ticket in the tracker was

> Looking for 'Network' in the list of open issues return 7 issues. The only important one is
> Is it decided to rollback networking? I enjoy the progress bar when accessing networks.
>
>> Another valuable help would be to (manually) test the tools, especially the ones loaded into Pharo to make sure we don't have any obvious problems there.
>
> By tools, you mean the one that get loaded with ConfigurationOfPharo ?

Yes, exactly.

Adrian

> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

>> Hope you have a productive weekend!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Adrian
>>
>> On May 18, 2010, at 02:49 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>>
>>> Mariano, Stef, Adrian,
>>>
>>> I would like to focus the Pharo sprint this week end on helping Pharo 1.1.
>>> In addition to reviewing and fixing the issues tagged as 1.1, are there some particular actions you want to see realized this Saturday?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Alexandre

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Alexandre Bergel <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Adrian,

> One thing that bothers me is the network code. Although nobody reported problems I cannot believe that it suddenly works without that we fixed it. The new implementation that is in 1.1 has been reverted in 1.0 and since then we haven't had any complaints. Now in 1.1 I guess that there are not that many people using it yet.
>
> If there are people at the sprint with different OS and configurations (Linux vs Mac; IPv4 vs. IPv6), you could try to reproduce the problems that were reported earlier (check the issue tracker).

I haven't closely followed this issue since I haven't experienced any problem in 1.1 (the only activity related to Network I do is using Monticello).
The network issue you're referring to is
http://forum.world.st/NetNameResolver-in-Pharo-1-1-td2136239.html#a2136239
isn't it?

Looking for 'Network' in the list of open issues return 7 issues. The only important one is
Is it decided to rollback networking? I enjoy the progress bar when accessing networks.

> Another valuable help would be to (manually) test the tools, especially the ones loaded into Pharo to make sure we don't have any obvious problems there.

By tools, you mean the one that get loaded with ConfigurationOfPharo ?

I don't know what he though, but I indeed yes :)
If you want, I can try to release the Pharo1.1 beta1 before the weeked and you give a cool testing for the tools: OB, RB, OCompletion, and so on...

Also we have several failing and error tests. Not only in Core but also in Dev.

Cheers

Mariano

Cheers,
Alexandre

> Hope you have a productive weekend!
>
> Cheers,
> Adrian
>
> On May 18, 2010, at 02:49 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
>
>> Mariano, Stef, Adrian,
>>
>> I would like to focus the Pharo sprint this week end on helping Pharo 1.1.
>> In addition to reviewing and fixing the issues tagged as 1.1, are there some particular actions you want to see realized this Saturday?
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Alexandre

>>> I will go over some this week.
>>>
>>> Alexandre

Alexandre Bergel  http://www.bergel.eu

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Alexandre Bergel-4
> > Another valuable help would be to (manually) test the tools, especially the ones loaded into Pharo to make sure we don't have any obvious problems there.
>
> By tools, you mean the one that get loaded with ConfigurationOfPharo ?
>
> I don't know what he though, but I indeed yes :)
> If you want, I can try to release the Pharo1.1 beta1 before the weeked and you give a cool testing for the tools: OB, RB, OCompletion, and so on...

Yes, that would be useful.

> Also we have several failing and error tests. Not only in Core but also in Dev.

I saw this as well...

Alexandre

> Cheers,
> Alexandre
>

> > Hope you have a productive weekend!
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Adrian
> >
> > On May 18, 2010, at 02:49 , Alexandre Bergel wrote:
> >
> >> Mariano, Stef, Adrian,
> >>
> >> I would like to focus the Pharo sprint this week end on helping Pharo 1.1.
> >> In addition to reviewing and fixing the issues tagged as 1.1, are there some particular actions you want to see realized this Saturday?
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Alexandre

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

On May 18, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> Yes, we should probably do that. It requires some work because of changes in 1.1.

The network rollback package is ready to be loaded. We were just waiting to know

> Adrian
>

> On May 18, 2010, at 09:24 , Michael Roberts wrote:
>
>> I am surprised too. would it not be safer to just apply the same
>> reversion of the code so that 1.1 is the same as 1.0? Then when
>> someone has the time to do a full review, a "new" network can be
>> applied to the start of a dev cycle, with some form of integration
>> tests.
>>
>> cheers,
>> Mike
>>
>> On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 6:31 AM, Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi Alex,
>>>
>>> One thing that bothers me is the network code. Although nobody reported problems I cannot believe that it suddenly works without that we fixed it. The new implementation that is in 1.1 has been reverted in 1.0 and since then we haven't had any complaints. Now in 1.1 I guess that there are not that many people using it yet.
>>>
>>> If there are people at the sprint with different OS and configurations (Linux vs Mac; IPv4 vs. IPv6), you could try to reproduce the problems that were reported earlier (check the issue tracker).
>>>
>>> Another valuable help would be to (manually) test the tools, especially the ones loaded into Pharo to make sure we don't have any obvious problems there.
>>>
>>> Hope you have a productive weekend!
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Adrian

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Adrian Lienhard

On May 18, 2010, at 11:24 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> On May 18, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>
>> Yes, we should probably do that. It requires some work because of changes in 1.1.
>
> The network rollback package is ready to be loaded. We were just waiting to know

Oh, you already did the work!

Then I suggest to load it. The "new" IPv6 code basically is a hack on top of the old implementation. Its prone to fail.

Adrian

>> Adrian
>>

>> On May 18, 2010, at 09:24 , Michael Roberts wrote:
>>
>>> I am surprised too. would it not be safer to just apply the same
>>> reversion of the code so that 1.1 is the same as 1.0? Then when
>>> someone has the time to do a full review, a "new" network can be
>>> applied to the start of a dev cycle, with some form of integration
>>> tests.
>>>
>>> cheers,
>>> Mike

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Stéphane Ducasse
Yes lukas prepared the package when we were eating black chocolate like mad :)

On May 18, 2010, at 11:39 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:

> On May 18, 2010, at 11:24 , Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>

>> On May 18, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Adrian Lienhard wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, we should probably do that. It requires some work because of changes in 1.1.
>>
>> The network rollback package is ready to be loaded. We were just waiting to know
>
> Oh, you already did the work!
>
> Then I suggest to load it. The "new" IPv6 code basically is a hack on top of the old implementation. Its prone to fail.
>
> Adrian
>

>>> Adrian

12