So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Torsten Bergmann
>> But now we should go beta=releaseCandidate1
>>

>No, I don't agree. That's not the same. One thing is beta and another thing
>is a release candidate.

While I appreciate that Stef wants to push out 1.1. quickly
since there are so many good things in this release we
should clearly start to build a beta, test it and then
(based on these results) have a first release candidate.

Pharo core is stable - but is pharo-dev already? We really
should have a beta. We all know: Pharo = core + packages

>Imagine you are going to download a software which is in RELEASE CANDIDATE
>and has a lot of problems and bugs....is not good for marketing.

especially if the website says: "Pharo is an attractive platform to build and deploy mission critical Smalltalk applications."

So +1 for Mariano here

Mariano: what is the state of building a dev image from
the core for 1.1.? Last time I tried the ConfigurationOfPharo with 1.1.
I run into the condense changes problem - which I thing was fixed now.

Thx
T.

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:22 AM, Torsten Bergmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> But now we should go beta=releaseCandidate1
>>

>No, I don't agree. That's not the same. One thing is beta and another thing
>is a release candidate.

While I appreciate that Stef wants to push out 1.1. quickly
since there are so many good things in this release we
should clearly start to build a beta, test it and then
(based on these results) have a first release candidate.

Pharo core is stable - but is pharo-dev already? We really
should have a beta. We all know: Pharo = core + packages

>Imagine you are going to download a software which is in RELEASE CANDIDATE
>and has a lot of problems and bugs....is not good for marketing.

especially if the website says: "Pharo is an attractive platform to build and deploy mission critical Smalltalk applications."

So +1 for Mariano here

Mariano: what is the state of building a dev image from
the core for 1.1.? Last time I tried the ConfigurationOfPharo with 1.1.
I run into the condense changes problem - which I thing was fixed now.

It should load perfectly and work good. But try in latest core (at least 11360). And yes, the condenseChanges takes a life (a lot of time). So, don't kill the image. It is not freeze. Just take a beer and wait :)

Thx
T.

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

ok you won :)
so we will go beta.

Now we will not open 1.2 right now because we can just take the time to do 1.1 nice and there are plenty of stuff to do
around 1.1 and to prepare in the calm 1.1

Stef

On May 17, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>>> But now we should go beta=releaseCandidate1
>>>

>> No, I don't agree. That's not the same. One thing is beta and another thing
>> is a release candidate.
>
> While I appreciate that Stef wants to push out 1.1. quickly
> since there are so many good things in this release we
> should clearly start to build a beta, test it and then
> (based on these results) have a first release candidate.
>
> Pharo core is stable - but is pharo-dev already? We really
> should have a beta. We all know: Pharo = core + packages
>
>> Imagine you are going to download a software which is in RELEASE CANDIDATE
>> and has a lot of problems and bugs....is not good for marketing.
>
> especially if the website says: "Pharo is an attractive platform to build and deploy mission critical Smalltalk applications."
>
> So +1 for Mariano here
>
> Mariano: what is the state of building a dev image from
> the core for 1.1.? Last time I tried the ConfigurationOfPharo with 1.1.
> I run into the condense changes problem - which I thing was fixed now.
>
> Thx
> T.

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Mon, May 17, 2010 at 10:33 AM, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
ok you won :)
so we will go beta.

heehhhee

Now we will not open 1.2 right now because we can just take the time to do 1.1 nice and there are plenty of stuff to do
around 1.1 and to prepare in the calm 1.1

I agree :) Perfect. What I wouldn't do in core 1.1 now is to add new functionality. Let's concentrate in making pharo 1.1 better, tests green, etc. New functionality should wait for Pharo 1.2 (which will be not open right now)

Stef

On May 17, 2010, at 10:22 AM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

>>> But now we should go beta=releaseCandidate1
>>>

>> No, I don't agree. That's not the same. One thing is beta and another thing
>> is a release candidate.
>
> While I appreciate that Stef wants to push out 1.1. quickly
> since there are so many good things in this release we
> should clearly start to build a beta, test it and then
> (based on these results) have a first release candidate.
>
> Pharo core is stable - but is pharo-dev already? We really
> should have a beta. We all know: Pharo = core + packages
>
>> Imagine you are going to download a software which is in RELEASE CANDIDATE
>> and has a lot of problems and bugs....is not good for marketing.
>
> especially if the website says: "Pharo is an attractive platform to build and deploy mission critical Smalltalk applications."
>
> So +1 for Mariano here
>
> Mariano: what is the state of building a dev image from
> the core for 1.1.? Last time I tried the ConfigurationOfPharo with 1.1.
> I run into the condense changes problem - which I thing was fixed now.
>
> Thx
> T.

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Alexandre Bergel-4
> Mariano: what is the state of building a dev image from
> the core for 1.1.? Last time I tried the ConfigurationOfPharo with 1.1.
> I run into the condense changes problem - which I thing was fixed now.

You can easily build a Pharo1.1 from a core.
No warning and no deprecation. It just takes time.

Moose loads in it.

Cheers,
Alexandre

Re: So...we freeze 1.1 ? (next steps?)

Alexandre Bergel-4
> Now we will not open 1.2 right now because we can just take the time to do 1.1 nice and there are plenty of stuff to do
> around 1.1 and to prepare in the calm 1.1

Good decision. We are not racing, but producing quality.

Alexandre