Socket Plugin primitives

jannik laval

Hi all,

I am analyzing SocketPluggin for Ocean development. And I have some remarks/questions.

First, to be sure, can you confirm my vision:
- the vm 4.x is the old one. Is it maintained ?
- vm 5.7.x is the normal vm (without JIT)
- vm 5.8.x is the Cog VM with normal pluggin
- vm Cog is Cog VM with less primitives than vm 5.8 (modified pluggins).

Based on that, we can see that Cog has only 38 primitives related to SocketPluggin where normal pluggin provides 61 primitives.
Could anyone explain to me why some primitives disappear ?
I do not yet analyze which primitives disappear but maybe someone could help me to understand this difference between the two pluggins.

Thanks in advance for your help,
---
Jannik Laval

Re: Socket Plugin primitives

Levente Uzonyi-2

On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, jannik.laval wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am analyzing SocketPluggin for Ocean development. And I have some remarks/questions.
>
> First, to be sure, can you confirm my vision:
> - the vm 4.x is the old one. Is it maintained ?
> - vm 5.7.x is the normal vm (without JIT)
> - vm 5.8.x is the Cog VM with normal pluggin
> - vm Cog is Cog VM with less primitives than vm 5.8 (modified pluggins).
>
> Based on that, we can see that Cog has only 38 primitives related to SocketPluggin where normal pluggin provides 61 primitives.
> Could anyone explain to me why some primitives disappear ?

Cog was forked from an old version of the VM sources that didn't have the
IPv6 primitives, so those are missing. There may be other differences, so
someone has to merge the code of the two (Cog's and the interpreter VM's)
plugins.

Levente

On Mar 16, 2011, at 21:52 , Levente Uzonyi wrote:

> On Wed, 16 Mar 2011, jannik.laval wrote:
>

>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am analyzing SocketPluggin for Ocean development. And I have some remarks/questions.
>>
>> First, to be sure, can you confirm my vision:
>> - the vm 4.x is the old one. Is it maintained ?
>> - vm 5.7.x is the normal vm (without JIT)
>> - vm 5.8.x is the Cog VM with normal pluggin
>> - vm Cog is Cog VM with less primitives than vm 5.8 (modified pluggins).
>>
>> Based on that, we can see that Cog has only 38 primitives related to SocketPluggin where normal pluggin provides 61 primitives.
>> Could anyone explain to me why some primitives disappear ?
>
> Cog was forked from an old version of the VM sources that didn't have the IPv6 primitives, so those are missing.

Ok, now I understand.

> There may be other differences, so someone has to merge the code of the two (Cog's and the interpreter VM's) plugins.

Which kind of difference ?You want to say in the source code ?

Jannik