SocketStream enh

Stéphane Ducasse
Hi lukas and others....

I will integrate the following SocketStream tests and before I would love to see if this
does not impact seaside

Re: SocketStream enh

Stéphane Ducasse
May be you missed this call but this is an important one.

On Aug 8, 2010, at 6:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Hi lukas and others....
>
> I will integrate the following SocketStream tests and before I would love to see if this
> does not impact seaside

and related fixes.

> Stef

Re: SocketStream enh

Lukas Renggli
I am on holidays, I cannot test this week. Philippe, Julian?

Lukas

On 9 August 2010 10:57, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> May be you missed this call but this is an important one.
>
> On Aug 8, 2010, at 6:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>
>> Hi lukas and others....
>>
>> I will integrate the following SocketStream tests and before I would love to see if this
>> does not impact seaside
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2767
>
> and related fixes.
>

>> Stef

Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SocketStream enh

Stéphane Ducasse
enjoy them....

Stef

On Aug 9, 2010, at 10:56 PM, Lukas Renggli wrote:

> I am on holidays, I cannot test this week. Philippe, Julian?
>
> Lukas
>
> On 9 August 2010 10:57, Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> May be you missed this call but this is an important one.
>>
>> On Aug 8, 2010, at 6:43 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:
>>
>>> Hi lukas and others....
>>>
>>> I will integrate the following SocketStream tests and before I would love to see if this
>>> does not impact seaside
>>>
>>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2767
>>
>> and related fixes.
>>

>>> Stef

> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SocketStream enh

Stéphane Ducasse

Does anybody have the time to give feedback on this important network changes?

Re: SocketStream enh

Philippe Marschall-2
On 08/18/2010 12:56 PM, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Does anybody have the time to give feedback on this important network changes?

Sorry, didn't yet have time.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: SocketStream enh

Noury Bouraqadi-2

On 18 août 2010, at 12:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Does anybody have the time to give feedback on this important network changes?

I tested the referenced code and it fixes issue 2765 (SocketStreamTest hangs).
I put a detailed comment on GoogleCode.

Noury

Re: SocketStream enh

LUIS QUIJANO
Stef,

I have been testing your SocketStream code.  So far so good.

I noticed that if accidentally a SmallInteger versus a
CharacterOrByte parameter is used in the method SocketStream>>upTo:,
the environment goes into a degraded state that persists until the
original instance of SocketStream gets closed.  For example, no more
new Socket connects.  After closing the original instance of
SocketStream, the environment "seems" to be back to "normal".  A
simple example for reproducing the "bad parameter" situation is below.

Hope this helps,

Luis
-=-=-
Luis Quijano
[hidden email]
-=-=-
| hostName portNumber hostIP ss data |
hostName := '10.10.10.100'.
portNumber := 10001.
hostIP := NetNameResolver addressForName: hostName timeout: 20.
ss := SocketStream openConnectionToHost: hostIP port: portNumber.
Transcript
         show: '---------- Connecting ----------'; cr;
         show: 'hostName = ' , hostName; cr;
         show: 'hostIP = ' , hostIP printString; cr;
         show: 'portNumber = ' , portNumber printString;
         cr.
"data := ss upTo: (Character value: 68)." "Good parameter"
data := ss upTo: 68. "Bad parameter"
Transcript
         show: 'Data received: ';
         show: data;
         cr.
ss close.
Transcript
         show: '---------- Connection Closed ----------';
         cr.
data inspect.
=====
At 11:43 AM 8/8/2010, you wrote:

>Hi lukas and others....
>
>I will integrate the following SocketStream tests and before I would
>love to see if this
>does not impact seaside
>
>http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2767
>
>Stef

Re: SocketStream enh

Stéphane Ducasse
Tx
I will forward that to squeakers because they may be interested too.

On Aug 19, 2010, at 3:04 PM, LUIS E QUIJANO wrote:

> Stef,
>
> I have been testing your SocketStream code.  So far so good.
>
> I noticed that if accidentally a SmallInteger versus a CharacterOrByte parameter is used in the method SocketStream>>upTo:, the environment goes into a degraded state that persists until the original instance of SocketStream gets closed.  For example, no more new Socket connects.  After closing the original instance of SocketStream, the environment "seems" to be back to "normal".  A simple example for reproducing the "bad parameter" situation is below.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Luis
> -=-=-
> Luis Quijano
> [hidden email]
> -=-=-
> | hostName portNumber hostIP ss data |
> hostName := '10.10.10.100'.
> portNumber := 10001.
> hostIP := NetNameResolver addressForName: hostName timeout: 20.
> ss := SocketStream openConnectionToHost: hostIP port: portNumber.
> Transcript
>        show: '---------- Connecting ----------'; cr;
>        show: 'hostName = ' , hostName; cr;
>        show: 'hostIP = ' , hostIP printString; cr;
>        show: 'portNumber = ' , portNumber printString;
>        cr.
> "data := ss upTo: (Character value: 68)." "Good parameter"
> data := ss upTo: 68. "Bad parameter"
> Transcript
>        show: 'Data received: ';
>        show: data;
>        cr.
> ss close.
> Transcript
>        show: '---------- Connection Closed ----------';
>        cr.
> data inspect.
> =====
> At 11:43 AM 8/8/2010, you wrote:
>> Hi lukas and others....
>>
>> I will integrate the following SocketStream tests and before I would love to see if this
>> does not impact seaside
>>
>> http://code.google.com/p/pharo/issues/detail?id=2767
>>
>> Stef

Re: SocketStream enh

Philippe Marschall-2-3
On 18.08.2010 12:56, Stéphane Ducasse wrote:

> Does anybody have the time to give feedback on this important network changes?

I did a short test with Seaside and everything still seems to work. And
if it fixes bugs, I'm all tits forward about it.

The deprecation of SmalltalkImage >> #platformName is a PITA though. It
requires us to have different versions of Comanche and WebClient for
different versions of Pharo.

Cheers
Philippe

Re: SocketStream enh

Lukas Renggli
On 22 August 2010 13:53, Philippe Marschall <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Does anybody have the time to give feedback on this important network changes?
>
> I did a short test with Seaside and everything still seems to work. And
> if it fixes bugs, I'm all tits forward about it.
>
> The deprecation of SmalltalkImage >> #platformName is a PITA though. It
> requires us to have different versions of Comanche and WebClient for
> different versions of Pharo.

Pharo 1.0 is long outdated, Pharo 1.2 is not stable yet. We should
only target Pharo 1.1.

Also the latest development tools only work in Pharo 1.1. There is no
point in making Seaside work in all versions.

Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SocketStream enh

Stéphane Ducasse
Thanks!

I really think that we should systematically use a dependency management system. Of course it
does not fix the problems but we can move on.
I think that we can benefit of the idea of a platform classes hierarchy, this is why we push the change.

>>> Does anybody have the time to give feedback on this important network changes?
>>
>> I did a short test with Seaside and everything still seems to work. And
>> if it fixes bugs, I'm all tits forward about it.

Ok I will integrate it now.
This was the next item on the list.

>> The deprecation of SmalltalkImage >> #platformName is a PITA though. It
>> requires us to have different versions of Comanche and WebClient for
>> different versions of Pharo.

I will integrate now webClient. May be I will need to know what I should load in. :)

> Pharo 1.0 is long outdated, Pharo 1.2 is not stable yet. We should
> only target Pharo 1.1.
>
> Also the latest development tools only work in Pharo 1.1. There is no
> point in making Seaside work in all versions.
>
> Lukas
>
> --
> Lukas Renggli
> www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: SocketStream enh

I will integrate another socket related fix because apparently the tests still break the image
with these ones loaded.

Stef