SocketStream

Paul DeBruicker
Hi -

I have a version of SocketStream from Pharo that's been adapted to work
in Gemstone.  I based it on SpSocket.

At this time it is necessary for the port of Chronos
(http://www.chronos-st.org).  Its possible that I could have adapted
Chronos to use TextOrBinaryFile, but I didn't look into it too much and
here we are.

Where should I upload the SocketStream package on Gemsource? Its the
whole class, or at least enough functionality to pass 14 of the 16
tests. So I don't want to put it in GsSqueakCommon.

Also, I've set it to only access files on the server as it takes much
much longer to access them on the client.  I did that by overriding
FileDirectory class>>onClient to return false, and installing the data
files in $GEMSTONE/seaside/data/.

Thanks

Paul

Re: SocketStream

Paul DeBruicker
Hit send too early.

> Where should I upload the SocketStream package on Gemsource? Its the
> whole class, or at least enough functionality to pass 14 of the 16
> tests. So I don't want to put it in GsSqueakCommon.

...  without checking that GsSqueakCommon is the proper spot for this
sort of thing.

Re: SocketStream

Dale Henrichs
On 03/09/2011 05:54 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> Hi -
>

> I have a version of SocketStream from Pharo that's been adapted to work
> in Gemstone.  I based it on SpSocket.
>
> At this time it is necessary for the port of Chronos
> (http://www.chronos-st.org).  Its possible that I could have adapted
> Chronos to use TextOrBinaryFile, but I didn't look into it too much and
> here we are.
>

> Where should I upload the SocketStream package on Gemsource? Its the
> whole class, or at least enough functionality to pass 14 of the 16
> tests. So I don't want to put it in GsSqueakCommon.

I would put it into Pharo Compatibility ... then there will be more
visibility...

> Also, I've set it to only access files on the server as it takes much
> much longer to access them on the client.  I did that by overriding
> FileDirectory class>>onClient to return false, and installing the data
> files in $GEMSTONE/seaside/data/.

In the port, if it easy you might swap out the FileDirectory references
with ServerFileDirectory references ... changing the onClient will
possibly disrupt some things, I know some tests are affected and I
couldn't guess what other things might end up with surprising results ...

Dale

Re: SocketStream

Dale Henrichs
On 03/09/2011 06:08 PM, Paul DeBruicker wrote:

> Hit send too early.
>>
>> Where should I upload the SocketStream package on Gemsource? Its the
>> whole class, or at least enough functionality to pass 14 of the 16
>> tests. So I don't want to put it in GsSqueakCommon.
>
> ...  without checking that GsSqueakCommon is the proper spot for this
> sort of thing.

GsSqueakCommon would be the ultimate home for that class as soon as it
is ready for prime time:)

Dale