Sockets vs Event Queue on WinXP

kobetic
Hi All,

I have some questions about an issue that Christian Heider brought up on this list back in march (http://www.parcplace.net/list/vwnc-archive/0703/msg00036.html). Here's a quick quote:

"We were getting lots of timeouts or server-not-responding errors on the clients. First we tried WLAN and switched to LAN later. LAN was much better but still quite bad. Then I remembered that a long time ago, I read something about Windows no reacting to socket events when there are no window events on the machine. So, I instructed the groups to always shake the mouse when sending requests to the server. At the same time I was moving the mouse on the server. This helped! (I think)."

We're looking into this problem now (AR#52279: "[STST] Opentalk hangs on server side if there is no GUI activity in VW." for reference) and we can reproduce it reliably on XP/SP2. We can't seem to get it to happen on W2K or W2K3 server. The key prerequisite seems to be that a VW window must have focus, if that's not the case the problem doesn't occur (might help as an alternative workaround, instead of generating UI events somehow, until we figure this out). The impact of network latencies seems to be negligible, we can reproduce this on both WLAN and ethernet LANs without much trouble.

Anyway, while we're getting ready to debug this at the VM level I tried to search for the reference that Christian mentioned above, but had no luck. Christian, or anyone, can you still find that information about the socket dependecy on the event queue ? Anything on this topic might help us nail this down.

Thanks,

Martin

AW: Sockets vs Event Queue on WinXP

Christian Haider
Sorry, tried to find the reference ... again with no luck (did I dream this?).

But great news that you can reproduce the problem!
I tried and couldnt reproduce it reliably... Would you mind posting your setup?

Good luck,
        Christian

Re: AW: Sockets vs Event Queue on WinXP

kobetic
Thanks for trying Christian!

The setup is pretty simple. The server must be an XP (possibly SP2 as well, I don't have any other XP setup available). Just start an image, load Opentalk-STST and start a broker:

        broker := (RequestBroker newStstTcpAtPort: 42424) start.

Then on any other machine (I've been using Linux mostly, but I don't think that matters) start a broker as well:

        broker := (RequestBroker newStstTcpAtPort: 0) start.

And run the following script (adjusting the server name to the name of the first host):

        server := broker activeBrokerAtHost: 'servername' port: 42424.
        [ Transcript show: (server echo: '*'). (Delay forMilliseconds: 500) wait ] repeat.

This will print a * for each successful echo. It should get stuck after a short while. Wiggling a mouse over the VW windows on the server should revive it. The key seems to be that the VW windows on the XP server must have focus. Without it it doesn't seem to happen (That's why it took a while to reproduce). Actually you may need to get the mouse off the VW windows as well, I'm not sure (I've been mostly using rdesktop to drive the XP machine, so my mouse is off those windows most of the time).

Cheers,

Martin