Sockets.zip

Gareth Reeves
Does anyone know where I can get the sockets package for Dolphin 3.01?

Gareth

Re: Sockets.zip

Jeffrey Odell-2
I don't know if OA is selling the add-ins to 3.0 anymore - you might want to
direct that question to [hidden email].  Otherwise, you need the
Dolphin Smalltalk 4.01 Standard Edition (DSE) from this page:

http://www.object-arts.com/Products.htm

They have upgrade pricing since I'm assuming you own 3.0 already.

jlo

"Gareth Reeves" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> Does anyone know where I can get the sockets package for Dolphin 3.01?
>
> Gareth

Re: Sockets.zip

Andy Bower
Gareth,

> Does anyone know where I can get the sockets package for Dolphin 3.01?

We are no longer selling the add-ons for Dolphin 3.0x. If you have already
purchased the Sockets kit and you just want to download it again then it is
available at:

http://www.object.arts.dial.pipex.com/Lib/Downloads/3.0/SocketsConnection.EX

If you don't yet own the connection kit then, I'm afraid you'll have to
upgrade to Dolphin 4 Standard Edition to get hold of this functionality.
There are, however, a great number of other improvements in Dolphin 4 to
make it worth your while. Please see:

http://www.object-arts.com/Dolphin/4.0/NewFeatures.htm

and

http://www.object-arts.com/Upgrade.htm

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk WikiWeb
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Re: Sockets.zip

Gareth Reeves
Does 4.01 come with the Sockets package? I could upgrade...

How do people feel about the benefits of 4 over 3?

Gareth

Re: Sockets.zip

Andy Bower
Gareth,

> Does 4.01 come with the Sockets package? I could upgrade...

Dolphin 4.01 Standard (DSE) and Professional (DPro) editions come with the
Sockets package. See:

http://www.object-arts.com/Products.htm

> How do people feel about the benefits of 4 over 3?

I feel my opinion might be biased so I'll leave it up to others to discuss
this :-)

Best Regards,

Andy Bower
Dolphin Support
http://www.object-arts.com

---
Visit the Dolphin Smalltalk WikiWeb
http://www.object-arts.com/wiki/html/Dolphin/FrontPage.htm
---

Re: Sockets.zip

Jeffrey Odell-2
I think 4.0 is a very nice package.  I'm going to tell a little story on
this newsgroup shortly of how it helped my to get COM wrappers working on
another Smalltalk.  By wrapping the same COM object in Dolphin, with it's
superior capabilities in this area, I was able to solve some data
dereferencing problems with SafeArrays and Variants on IBM Smalltalk.

There are many other things to recommend about it depending on your needs -
overall I recommend it -